What are you listening to on your cd player/ mp san??

• 1187 replies

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
Re: What are you listening to on your cd player/ mp san??
« Reply #165 on: May 10, 2008, 11:01:33 PM »
Been listening to Dengue Fever, Beruit, Bon Ivar and a compliation of one hit wonders. I love that song - Play that funky music white boy.

« Reply #166 on: May 10, 2008, 11:11:45 PM »
I love the new Beruit CD.
"All young people need somebody bad to look up to and I hope I can be that for you tonight. "

John Waters

Fugu

« Reply #167 on: May 11, 2008, 05:39:11 AM »
Just scored Pink Floyd, 'The Wall'... Sweet....   zzzzzzzzzz
“Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society,” Twain.

« Reply #168 on: May 26, 2008, 08:04:41 AM »
Been picking through some different post rock bands and have found one which is absolutely lovely - "Dry Land" by Whisper in the Noise.

A lot of p.r stuff just goes on with endless soundscapes.  This doesn't, it has a real structure and a point and everything.  Check it out!
It is too early to say.

« Reply #169 on: May 29, 2008, 12:52:10 AM »
It is too early to say.

« Reply #170 on: June 01, 2008, 10:33:14 PM »
The more I listen to Amy Winehouse, the more blown away I get.  Hope she can clean up- Lolochan showed me some recent concert footage and it was pathetic!  She couldn't even stand up straight, let alone sing properly.

Such an amazing talent.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

Canvet

• Travels with Jenny
« Reply #171 on: June 02, 2008, 12:33:33 AM »
Maroon 5 - Live from Soho - get up and MOVE music. bfbfbfbfbf

Tony Bennett - Put on a happy face - it is the second song now in my wake up music, first is Joni Mitchell ONe week last summer.
 bhbhbhbhbh
Cheers!

I am diagonally parked in a parallel universe.....

Foscolo

• Boom boom!
    • ELTpublishing
« Reply #172 on: June 02, 2008, 10:22:53 AM »
Great album I uploaded here:

http://download.yousendit.com/70F99C572B7543CC

Thanks CD - well worth downloading. Reminds me a little of Radiohead, one of my fave bands. Why aren't these guys better known?
Free stuff for teaching English with jokes: ESLjokes.net.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #173 on: June 10, 2008, 04:28:52 PM »
And the danger is....

70pc of youngsters have hearing loss

June 10, 2008

MORE than 70 per cent of young adults suffer from the first sign of hearing loss, a new survey reveals.

Listening to music - played at dangerously loud levels - through headphones could be the cause.

The survey, commissioned by Australian Hearing, found adults aged between 18 and 24 reported suffering from tinnitus or ringing in the ear.

The finding has surprised experts including Professor Harvey Dillon, director of the National Acoustics Laboratory at Australian Hearing.

"That was a real surprise because that was actually more common than the older respondents," Prof Dillon said on Fairfax radio.

"Mostly for the younger people it didn't happen very often, and it didn't last for very long when it did happen. But it did happen.

"And we think that that's probably a warning sign for them."

The report found two thirds of people listened to music through headphones and of those, 60 per cent played music at dangerous loud levels.

Prof Dillon said it could take just weeks for hearing loss to begin.

"That's part of the problem. Although it's happening, definitely, it's happening gradually and slowly and people just don't notice it," he said.

Some 25 per cent of younger people thought that if they damaged their hearing it would get better, he said.

"Older Australians, I might add, were much wiser, almost none of them thought that."

The risk of damage occurred in two stages when people go to concerts or noisy venues. Both occurred inside the inner ear and while one was temporary the other was permanent, he said.

"We tend to notice the temporary loss of hearing and we notice it come back over the next day or two.

"What we don't notice is that at the same time, in the same place but through a different mechanism, there's also a permanent loss going on.

"A few hair cells dying here, a few hair cells dying there and they add up from time to time."

Prof Dillon says safe headphone audio levels were 85 decibels, averaged over an eight-hour day.

There steps people could take to minimise the risk of going deaf from loud music, Australian Hearing ambassador Dr John D'Arcy said.

"Set the volume of your MP3 player at a level that allows you to hear someone at arm's length without them having to shout," he said.

Workers exposed to loud machinery or industrial noise should also wear ear muffs or plugs to protect their hearing.

The survey also revealed many older Australians viewed hearing devices negatively, which could lead to widespread social disadvantage among the elderly.

More than 70 per cent older people surveyed were open to the idea of wearing a hearing device, but most associated them with the terms "old" and "deaf" while one in five believed they were "unsightly" and "ugly".

Human Services Minister Joe Ludwig said modern technology had helped to make devices look less unsightly.

"People might be surprised that many modern hearing devices look more like fashion accessories," he said.

"We know from previous surveys that hearing loss is associated with a loss of intimacy or interaction with family and friends.

"So, if you do start to experience problems, it is important that people go and get tested and find out about the latest high-tech hearing aids."

« Reply #174 on: June 17, 2008, 12:27:48 AM »
Girly, Pretty:

The Cinematic Orchestra - To Build a home
Frou Frou - Breathe In / Let Go
Little Birdy - Beautiful to Me
K's Choice - Not an Addict

Selected Everything Else:

Andy Lau, anything Cantonese, but I am and will always remain a fan of Ben Xiao Hai.
Arctic Monkeys
Compay Segundo
Dead kennedys
Deftones
Dirty Three
Franz Ferdinand
Grinspoon
The Hives
Interpol
Kaiser Chiefs
Kings of Leon
Machine Gun Fellatio
Marylin Manson
MC Solaar - Da Vinci Claude - yay, Noles!
Muse
Nine Inch Nails
Papa Roach
Pendulum
The Pixies
Placebo
Portishead - We Carry On, from their new album Third
Powderfinger
The Presets
Queens of the Stoneage
Rachid Taha
Rolling Stones
The Strokes
System of A Down, because someone has to listen to them.
Teddybears Sthlm & Mad Cobra - Cobrastyle
Tool
The Vines - Highly Evolved / Evil Town / Winning Days
UNKLE, if you can tolerate it
The White Stripes
Wolfmother

There's other stuff too.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

« Reply #175 on: June 17, 2008, 01:08:40 AM »
Leonard Cohen, David Bowie, the Doors, the Who, the Raconteurs, One-Eyed Mule, Johnny Cash, Grateful Dead, Blackmore's Night, Loreena McKennitt, the Decemberists, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Jethro Tull, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Willie Nelson, Cream, Velvet Underground, Lou Reed, Hank Williams, Fairport Convention, Mark Knopfler, Dire Straits, Pink Floyd, Tammy Wynette, Allison Krause and Union Station, Emmylou Harris, Shania Twain, Bloodhound Gang, Frank Sinatra, Brad Paisley, Bonnie Prince Billy and some other stuff.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Bugalugs

• If we are what we eat, I'm easy, fast, and cheap.
« Reply #176 on: June 17, 2008, 03:19:17 AM »
...Shania Twain...

Don't think i would have pinned you as a Shania fan ETR.
Good girls are made from sugar and spice, I am made from Vodka and ice

Do you have and ID Ten T error??

« Reply #177 on: June 17, 2008, 03:30:59 AM »
I like some of her stuff. I listen to pretty much everything, except: techno, metal of any kind, jazz, pop drivel, hip-hop, gangsta rap, opera, muzak, Danish music, easy listening, trip hop and punk.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

« Reply #178 on: June 17, 2008, 08:27:58 AM »
No, just the genres outlined in my previous statement.

Seth

« Reply #179 on: June 17, 2008, 10:47:44 AM »
The Pogues!

Saw them live in Chicago about a year ago.