What are you listening to on your cd player/ mp san??

• 1187 replies
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 02:08:30 AM by Calach Pfeffer »
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

Re: What are you listening to on your cd player/ mp san??
« Reply #556 on: March 10, 2014, 06:34:46 PM »

« Reply #557 on: March 17, 2014, 02:29:05 AM »

« Reply #558 on: March 23, 2014, 02:02:42 AM »
And again...

The Kills - Baby Says (Acoustic for Pop10)

(eta: yeah so, also listening to basement jaxx)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 01:11:18 AM by Calach Pfeffer »

eggcluck

• Still standing
« Reply #559 on: March 23, 2014, 02:56:40 PM »
KIUAS - Discipline of steel(DEMO)
KIUSA - The spirit of Ukko

Finnish heavy rock group with a pagan theme (hence "ukko").
Still standing

« Reply #561 on: March 27, 2014, 02:47:20 PM »
'Inspirato' by Yanni.

I really like this album, very much to my surprise. For those of you who don't know Yanni, he's a sort of cross fusion New Age / classical muzak artist. When our students say they like 'classical music' they probably mean the sort of insipid slush that I've always assumed was Yanni's stock in trade. he did last year's Chinese Spring Festival show, which must have been after I went to bed, but I imagine was pretty bad.

However on this album he's got the best (or at least the most famous) opera singers in the world to sing new versions of some of his old songs with newly written lyrics, (all in Italian / Spanish etc, which no doubt is an improvement on the saccharine nonsense of those original  versions which had lyrics in English).

The album is so good, (I think my favourite Classical Music album of the year so far) I thought, 'maybe I've got Yanni all wrong' so I loaded up his playlist on Xiami, and listened to the first 5 pieces that came up. When I say listened, the third to fifth ones I only listened to the first few seconds. It was horrible, but so I'm just going to have to regard 'Inspirato' as a fantastic new album by Renee Fleming, Ricardo Villazon etc. My best guess is that the only thing co-producer Placido Domingo let Yanni do was choose the typically naff title for the album.

Let me rant a bit more. Maybe these excerpts from the press release for Yanni's 'masterpiece' will help you understand why loving this album hurts so much.

This is a one of a kind album, there has never been another album like this and there will never be another album like this.
Opera singers singing with an orchestra! I'm going to go out on a limb and say that there have been other albums like this.

Another fascinating tale lies behind the wordless song 'Ode A L'Humanite, based on YANNI's version of the 'Flower Duet' from Delibes' opera 'Lakme'. When the South African youngster Pretty Yende heard this on a television advertisement for British Airways, it sparked her love of the sound of the operatic voice, so much so, that it fired her with a desire to become an opera singer herself. Having overcome enormous hurdles, she is now one of the brightest new stars in the opera world, and has appeared in major roles at La Scala and the Metropolitan Opera - and all thanks to inspiration from YANNI.
You know what. I 'm going to give a little (99.99%) of the credit to Delibes.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 03:23:44 PM by Just Like Mr Benn »

« Reply #562 on: April 05, 2014, 06:34:35 PM »
International Nirvana Day

Radio Friendly Unit Shifter
Drain You
Rape Me

Lo-o-o-ng, long ago, back when some loophole was allowing cheap import cds to be sold legally in Oz for in the order of $5 ( aoaoaoaoao), my sister bought a double cd of Nirvana - one cd was them unplugged, t'other was them live. Sounds a lot like that Paris show (but recorded differently). Anyway, those are my go-to Nirvana tunes, RFUS and Drain You.

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #563 on: April 06, 2014, 12:16:42 AM »
Drain You was always a favourite of mine

And D7

« Reply #564 on: April 17, 2014, 02:26:02 AM »

Jozef Van Wissem & SQÜRL - Only Lovers Left Alive - The Taste of Blood

« Reply #565 on: April 24, 2014, 08:36:12 PM »
Honeybee (Let's Fly To Mars) - Grinderman

In fact, teh whole True Detective soundtrack, but the Grinderman band of beards seemed just too good.

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #568 on: May 14, 2014, 09:19:42 PM »
Michael Jackson - Xscape

still no opinion.. gonna need another listen.
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com