Bought and paid for

• 66 replies

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
Re: Bought and paid for
« Reply #60 on: August 26, 2008, 11:37:13 PM »
Their basic reaction was to make a bit of a joke of it.  but with a wry grin about the possibility of faking documents etc. NOT stated out loud - although Chinese friends have told me how exceptionally simple it would have been for the team managers to do that.

i wonder if they are all brand new passports, or have they been stamped at other competitions.  ahahahahah

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
« Reply #61 on: August 27, 2008, 12:13:14 AM »
 My students swear they were all 16 and it's just because Chinese people look young to Westerners.  bibibibibi

Schnerby

« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2008, 01:34:33 AM »
My dear Chinese buddy thinks the same thing!

Him: Well how old do you think I am?
Me: 23
Him: That's only because you know how old I am. Otherwise you wouldn't know. See it's the same as the gymnasts!

His English is good enough to know that makes no sense.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #63 on: October 05, 2008, 03:20:18 PM »
The verdict??

Chinese Olympic gymnasts 'not underage'

Posted Thu Oct 2, 2008 9:11am AEST

Chinese female gymnasts who competed at this year's Beijing Olympics were not underage, the sport's governing body said after investigating claims the Games hosts fielded ineligible athletes.

The International Gymnastics Federation (FIG) had asked the Chinese federation to submit documents proving the birth dates of five members of the gold-winning team - He Kexin, Jiang Yuyuan, Li Shanshan, Deng Linlin and Yang Yilin.

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) had specifically asked the FIG to investigate double Olympic gold-medallist He, who was registered as 16 although online media reports suggested she may have been 14.

Gymnasts must turn 16 in the year of an Olympics to take part.

"Originals of official documents received from the Chinese Gymnastics Association, specifically passports, identity cards and family booklets or 'Household Registers', confirm the ages of the athletes," the FIG said in a statement.

"The FIG has shared its conclusions with the International Olympic Committee, which originally requested the inquiry. It is considered that the case is now concluded."

Chinese coaches and gymnasts had repeatedly denied the accusations of lying about age.

China collected a total of nine of the 14 gold medals up for grabs in the artistic gymnastics.

The FIG added it would investigate the ages of two members of the Chinese women's team that won bronze at the 2000 Sydney Olympics, Dong Fangxiao and Yang Yun.

"The FIG does not consider the explanations and evidence provided to date in regards to these athletes as satisfactory," it said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/10/02/2379921.htm

Ruth

« Reply #64 on: October 05, 2008, 03:49:50 PM »
"Originals of official documents received from the Chinese Gymnastics Association, specifically passports, identity cards and family booklets or 'Household Registers', confirm the ages of the athletes," the FIG said in a statement.
Sorry, I'm still not buying it.  Any official, either corrupt or under orders from someone higher up, can make these documents say whatever date is convenient.  How about dental records showing the absence of baby teeth?  Or permanent teeth growing in age appropriately?
If you want to walk on water, you have to get out of the boat.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #65 on: October 05, 2008, 04:07:53 PM »
Ah well.  Nadia was only 14.  They changed the rules later.

Since athletes in this sort of sport are often trained starting in kindergarten, I think we should dump all the age requirements.  Let them win a gold medal at age 5 and then they can go back to school and have a normal childhood.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #66 on: October 05, 2008, 04:35:37 PM »
The FIG added it would investigate the ages of two members of the Chinese women's team that won bronze at the 2000 Sydney Olympics, Dong Fangxiao and Yang Yun.

Were these ones also in teh current team??  That could be interesting.