[Z Visa] - Degree Requirement vs Experience

• 24 replies
Re: [Z Visa] - Degree Requirement vs Experience
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2008, 05:19:28 AM »
Meister N, I believe (in the UK at least) one can simply call the University in question, and see if the details of the Certificate match the details on their Database. Maybe it's not that simple, but I'm sure I've read it somewhere before. Although, I can imagine they might bring up the whole 'Data Protection Act' thing.

Regardless, although I'd prefer to have a Degree attached to my name, I know that exceptions can be made, which are entirely legal. At my previous job, I knew they used a fake Degree for me and it did make me feel a little uncomfortable. Thus, I don't think I'd be happy going the whole way and faking it all myself.

That reasoning probably doesn't make my actions any less immoral, but I think it's the safer attitude to have. :)

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2008, 05:23:16 AM »
Actually, specifically in regards to the UK, (since I actually specifically researched the UK in this regard) you generally need a written application (faxed is OK) on letterhead of a registered organization or business, in order to ask for verification. They check the authenticity of the organization, too, or so they say.

I bet they don't.

Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2008, 12:06:11 AM »
How do they know you didn't fake the letterhead, in process of seeking a faked diploma?
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2008, 02:12:43 AM »
I thought Mr N was asking for confirmation of award and the institute in question requires a letterhead.

But - that too can be faked. So all we need to do is create a letterhead for a school/uni here, and send it off with the request.

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2008, 04:40:12 PM »
Wo.. I guess cuz the olympics is now over I will be looking to return to Beijing.. oops.
Back in June I was told (by the PSB Officials)that they wouldn't be extending my F visa in country, so I would have to return to Canada and then get a new F visa. Sounded pretty simple when I was in Beijing. When I arrived at the China Consulate in Toronto they said I would need to have this visa notification form filled out by the Business Bureau in Beijing, if I wanted anything longer than a 30 day F visa.
My wife was/is still in Beijing and is Chinese. She went to the Business Bureau with the paperwork and was denied, she was advised to use the web site to apply. When she went to the web site she was only allowed her to choose a 30 day visa, which she did and after waiting 10 days was again rejected. The Chinese Consulate in Toronto tells me I can get a 30 day without this form. Now the Para Olympics will be over in about 25 days. IS there any word about confirmation of any details regarding visas? Has anyone recently received an F visa out of Honk KOng or Macao? Please advise?

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2008, 06:04:40 PM »
 F visa's are not being issued anywhere right now as far as I know. It will likely be another 6 weeks before they start issuing them.

DaDan

• Yeppers! We`be livin now!
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2008, 07:22:19 PM »
July 30th in HK I got a visa.
I had the choice of an L or a F visa... I chose the L.
I have a good friend that chose & received the F on July 29th.

both visas offered & approved overnight in HK through a visa / travel agent were the 90 day double 30 day entry kind.

we both are American.
me pappy sayd... 
Once ya get past the smell... ...:P ... `You got it licked...

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2008, 11:18:46 PM »
Yes, if you want a confusing situation, the Saloon is a great place to find one. agagagagag
This question set is confusing enough anyway...as seen, actual results are spotty, and NO ONE, including most of the authorities, really knows what's happening.

I DO know that degree status doesn't apply for the Z Visa, but it definitely DOES when it comes to getting a work permit/foreign expert certificate...and this in turn is the necessary prerequisite for the residence permit. YOU CAN'T LEGALLY LIVE AND WORK IN CHINA ON JUST A VISA.
Experience has shown that sometimes, it doesn't have to be a 4-year degree. Sometimes other certifications etc. will work. This can include anything from an unrelated work certification to a TEFL certificate, to a Hallmark "World's Greatest Bowler" certificate- which is often about as meaningful and relevant as a TEFL certificate anyway.

Your best source of info here is your prospective employers. Tell them which shiny paper you have, if any, and they should be able to determine whether they can work with it or not.
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2008, 11:33:24 PM »
Well, I don't have a 4-year degree, but I do hold Qualifications in two 1-year courses. I also have 6 months experience. I think it's more than enough to teach at a Public Middle/High School (which is what I want), but not everyone seems to view it like that.

Can this still be used by the FAO, to apply for a Residence Permit? It seems to me that many rules are often overlooked (required age, experience, length of stay, etc), and this would mean a lot of people (inc. those with Degree's) fail to meet the requirements. Right?

So what the hell am I worrying about? If they're willing to hire non-native speakers, then they're willing to put up a little 'fight' to secure a native speaker. Degree or not, and especially with experience.

And I know it's racist, but I'm as white as any Chinese ren could ever wish for. If that's how the system works, it's going on my CV. ahahahahah

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2008, 01:22:34 AM »
You have to really ask the FAO on that matter - it depends on the school's capabilities.