'Olympic Bible' Q

• 7 replies

ting

'Olympic Bible' Q
« on: August 03, 2008, 04:34:08 PM »
I read a few weeks back that special Olympic bibles would be printed and distributed (sold) in BJ.  But i have read nothing more.  Does anyone have current info on where to buy, when available, etc.  thanks

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
Re: 'Olympic Bible' Q
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 04:49:24 PM »
You mean real Bibles or just a set of rules of what should/shouldn't be done?

ting

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 08:21:38 PM »
No, this was supposedly a standard Old and New Testament bible.  All other details i am not certain of but probably in chinese, maybe english.  my guess is to show the world how OK religious books are here.  Well, if no one has any news i will look further.  thanks.  the photo i saw had a lovely white cover, maybe a cross, maybe five golden rings!  these were special made for the olys maybe only for sale to foreigners, maybe only at  oly  venues  ????

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 03:19:02 AM »
Wow. It's really hard to imagine the guv backing the sale of Chinese-language Bibles here...my understanding is that more than one copy may still have to be smuggled in.

Bibles printed in English and other Western languages, intended for sale to turistas...that may be OK.

I'd like to know if anybody finds one of these...
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

ting

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 05:15:17 PM »
Well, i googled on this topic: should have been my first choice.  Results are slim but apparently the govt has printed tens of thousands of chinese full texts and many 'new testament' books for distribution at some sites.  sites like  bj churches, qinhuangdao?  so whether i can find one is unknown now.  i suspect these will be snapped up by re-sellers since ,according to official, 'this is the first time that olympic logos used on religious texts'; a sign of open tolerance for god, no doubt. if you are in bj, do you know where any church is located?  in shanghai i saw a big catholic church one time and in hebei i have seen at least two, both catholic.  i heard g. bush, maybe c. rice  went to church in bj, probably not catholic so there must be some protestant churches there.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 05:19:34 PM »
a sign of open tolerance for god

Only for selected, party-line-toeing churches.

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 06:09:09 PM »
If you are in Beijing, perhaps at some local church, say Haidian district.

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 01:04:43 AM »

Howdy!

I have a Bible that I bought in the grounds of my former college, in both English and Chinese.

There is also a Christian bookstore near my house, with crosses, books and other things. Nice, clean, modern store. There was another shop that I knew about, but it may have closed or moved to where this store is now.

Senor