surge protectors ?

• 3 replies
surge protectors ?
« on: May 16, 2007, 05:30:57 PM »
Hi Group:
 I have a question that I haven't seen posted or asked about anywhere yet.
I know that it's 50hz/220v there and that there are various plug configurations.
My question is this... is there any need for surge protectors? I use them here all of the time with my electronics and they have saved me a couple of times.
Thanks for any input.
Have a great day !

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
Re: surge protectors ?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 05:53:24 PM »
Hey dude,

Surge protectors are always a good idea, and to call things in China "erratic" would be putting it kindly.  uuuuuuuuuu

Power strips with surge protection can be easily bought all over China.
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 09:40:22 PM »
Thanks for the info. Raoul !

Newbs

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 09:59:32 PM »
And another thing.  I just could never get used to the notion that electrical safety in China was on a par with back home (ie. Hoganland)  So, I just tended to be a little more cautious when handling the electrical juice in China.  I bought a really cheap (ie. couple a yuan) powerboard one day without looking at it too closely.  Used it once and then realised that the insulation was kinda hot.  So, I had a closer look at it and realised that it was made out of "figure of 8" lead.  This is the sort of lead that is just 2 wires with a thin bit of insulation around them.  Commonly seen on leads to a table top lamp or similar.  I cut it up and chucked it out.