Home inn

• 11 replies
Home inn
« on: May 21, 2008, 11:16:14 AM »
Ive been recommended this chain of hotels for my travels and they get a good write up in lonely planet. Has anyone tried them before? Any opinions?

Re: Home inn
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 02:51:20 PM »
I did. It's simple and nice. I wouldn't say it is THE best option but it is convenient and as you check in, you can buy a discount card for 40RMB which gives you smth like 20% off.
But normally you have to book in quite advance as it is usually packed.
Depending on city the prices differ. In Beijing you can get a room as cheap as 219 and as expensive as 300+.

Shroomy

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 02:58:20 PM »
I stayed at one that Cheeky recommended in Beijing and it was simple, but fine.  Two of us, two comfy single beds, clean shower and toilet, TV, what more could you need.  They were friendly and kept bags for us for the day before we took the night train. 

As usual, it probably varies with the branch.

Back home and still confused about what the locals are saying.

Wags

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 04:39:19 PM »
I've stayed at several of these places around the traps and while they were never deluxe, I could not fault the value. All of them so far have been clean and comfortable places to rest ones weary head, yet I aint seen 'em all  uuuuuuuuuu

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 06:05:28 PM »
This looks promising, what about the safety?

I would prefer not to get my stuff stolen or someone opening the door and coming in to my room in the middle of the night. Like in Kuala Lumpur. aoaoaoaoao

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 06:36:31 PM »
I think this was the hotel I stay at in Shanghai. It seemed safe--they had a gate that locked at night (had to call for them to let me in). Still wouldn't leave any valuables in the room. Definitely inexpensive and clean.
"I don't need to compromise my principles, because they don't have the slightest bearing on what happens to me anyway." -Calvin
3 greatest things in the world in one website: http://www.boozefoodtravel.com
http://www.TotalTaipei.com
My Taipei travel guide: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073RSMVG

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 05:30:12 AM »
It is safe. I never left any valuables. But I left personal items around and they were never stolen. Once I made tea and they didn't even touch the cup - probably thought it was something valuable  ahahahahah

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 02:31:22 AM »
I stayed in Home Inns in Tianjin and Qingdao last summer. They remind me of a Red Roof Inn in the States, but nicer.

They are very busy, no bargaining on the rate and very safe. They are a little expensive compared to a normal 3 star hotel in the area.

Better buys are the "business hotels" which are similar to the Home Inns, but usually cheaper.

Mpho

Rajin

• Kickass and eat cheezeballs
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 04:18:22 AM »
There are days inn and best western's in Beijing, I believe. I imagine they're pricey, though.

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 04:48:04 AM »
Best Westerns, in China, cater to a more upmarket clientele (business executives on coporate accounts) than in the west. This is clearly reflcted in their prices.

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 05:47:01 AM »
I've stayed in these a lot. Safe, clean and reasonably priced at about 200 kuai a night.
Another nationwide chain I can recommend, which actually has slightly larger coverage, though both are widespread in Jiangsu and major cities is Jinjiangzhixing.(锦江之星)Staying in one right now  bfbfbfbfbf

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2008, 06:45:28 AM »
Most US hotels, when they come to China, tend to build at a higher rating/price level than they offer in the States. Even places like Howard Johnson, best known for fried clams, goes upscale in China.

Maybe they've gotten a load of the lower classes here and built accordingly. bpbpbpbpbp

HOME Inn, though, is fine. Spartan but good.

Also, please don't forget about eLong, on our Links page. Sometimes they're great at finding hotel and other travel bargains!
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2008, 08:05:28 AM »
I've stayed in HOME INNs lots of times. Found them cheap and clean. No bar fridges. Handy to transport.

They are used by traveling govt workers who can apparently get discounts. Like, teachers. You can be a member too, and get other discounts.

It's hard for me to tell actually, what kind of discounts, because Mrs N gets discounts all the time.

For example getting Lotus and I into a closed museum in Kunming for free because the owner assumed she was our guide. She has got kickbacks for taking 'tourists' (ie, me) into shops.

Anyway, I found Home Inns convenient, cheaper than others in the same range, and they all have free water. We have found them in every city we have been to in China (except Hong Kong).
Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.