A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall... (THE VISA NIGHTMARE!)

• 545 replies
Re: A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall... (THE VISA NIGHTMARE!)
« Reply #405 on: December 01, 2008, 02:37:20 AM »
I got mine switched from a tourist visa to a work permit without a problem in Wuxi (Jiangsu).  From what I've heard, it varies province to province (which I guess you guys know).  Someone told me that inner Mongolia requires police background checks, but most other places don't.

So it seems like things are a real patchwork now (more so), getting easier in some places well they get more difficult in others.

« Reply #406 on: December 01, 2008, 06:44:20 PM »
I'm in HongKong now waiting for my 6 month multiple entry visa. Being a UK passport holder these still aren't readily available, but i've found someone who obviously has the right connections but it's costing me 3000rmb. Most of the agencies can get multiple entry for US passports.
The future's so bright i gotta wear shades

« Reply #407 on: December 03, 2008, 03:52:02 AM »
Question though - what does that mean for working?  Wasn't one of the problems before that people working on an F would be sent back home?  I guess that's calmed down a bit?

« Reply #408 on: December 03, 2008, 05:17:40 AM »
Question though - what does that mean for working?  Wasn't one of the problems before that people working on an F would be sent back home?  I guess that's calmed down a bit?

Not really sure about that, i would still be pretty careful about being on the right visa if your working here, things are still a lot more tighter than they were a year ago. There are definite signs of things relaxing but not sure it will ever be quite as sloppy as it used to be.

bfbfbfbfbf Back home now with my 6 month multiple entry F visa so i'm happy, but i don't really work here so any visa will do me. bfbfbfbfbf
The future's so bright i gotta wear shades

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #409 on: December 07, 2008, 09:22:21 PM »
Yeah, if you're officially not working, that makes things a lot easier...

Otherwise, it's official policy of the Saloon that we cannot endorse or recommend that anyone ever live and work in China without having the full legal documentation...which for nearly all of us means a valid Residence Permit and Work Permit/Foreign Expert Certificate.

Being here illegally is risky and a very bad idea. Anyone who tries to tell you otherwise is wrong- and, if it's coming from an employer, a lie calculated to enrich themselves at your risk.

If you're working for a Chinese company, drawing a Chinese salary, and living in housing that isn't provided by your company, you must have a Residence Permit and Work Permit/Foreign Expert Certificate. That's simply the way it is. Get legal or get gone.
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #410 on: December 13, 2008, 04:12:22 AM »
HM was only given 6 months visa. He was told that he needs to obtain Chinese teaching license (???). We asked around and in Beijing they ask for ESL certificate but seems like here in Zhuhai it is something else. Anyone in Guangdong heard anything about it? The kindy manager will ask next week at the bureau of education exactly what it means. Hopefully it is just ESL certificate  bibibibibi They are running out of teachers in Zhuhai and keep making it difficult for teachers to come!

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #411 on: December 29, 2008, 07:41:27 PM »
For the first time since I arrived here I had to have a medical to renew my visa. Blood tests, ECG, chest X-ray, blood pressure, ultra-sound for liver and kidneys.  University took me there and paid for all of it.

Friends have told me that it has become almost impossible to find University work in Beijing/Shanghai if you are over 65.  Unis' may offer part-time work, but don't want the responsibility of visas, health insurance, etc for older people.

« Reply #412 on: December 29, 2008, 09:39:24 PM »
Try more like over 60. The law is reinforced from Jan 1st.

Ruth

« Reply #413 on: December 29, 2008, 11:59:44 PM »
Not sure if this is country-wide or just Guangdong Province, but apparently there's a new Foreign Expert something-or-other.  My poor FAO has just done all the paperwork to process our FECs and now she has to do it all again because of the new certificates.  They won't accept what's already in process.  And this time, in addition to the resumes, degrees, passports, etc., she has to write a description of what our jobs entail and why the uni needs us.
If you want to walk on water, you have to get out of the boat.

Ruth

« Reply #414 on: December 30, 2008, 12:01:12 AM »
Try more like over 60. The law is reinforced from Jan 1st.
That's really, really bad news. 
If you want to walk on water, you have to get out of the boat.

« Reply #415 on: December 30, 2008, 12:12:20 AM »
It is. Lots of good teachers will be forced to leave. And the schools will yet again be left with a bunch of backpackers who barely sat through ESL course (no offense to anyone but there are really quite a few weirdos teaching around here  bibibibibi )

Spaghetti

• Goo Goo Muck
« Reply #416 on: December 30, 2008, 05:16:36 AM »
For the first time since I arrived here I had to have a medical to renew my visa. Blood tests, ECG, chest X-ray, blood pressure, ultra-sound for liver and kidneys.  University took me there and paid for all of it.

Lotus, I have a friend who teaches in your neck of the woods. He renewed his visa last summer. He had to have a medical for the first time since arriving at his university, three years ago. Perhaps this will be the norm?

EDIT: I want to add that it sounds like I have even more reasons never, ever, to work in Guangzhou. Good luck and lots of strength to those of you who can put up with the bureaucratic bullshit down there.
"Most young people were getting jobs in big companies, becoming company men. I wanted to be an individual."
Haruki Murakami

fox

« Reply #417 on: December 30, 2008, 03:27:41 PM »
i had the medical on my first arrival last year, and again 12 months later on my annual visa renewal, i was told i need to take one each year as part of the visa renewal process.
I'm not complaining as its  not a bad thing to get an annual check-up.
regard man as a mine rich in gems of inestimable value.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #418 on: December 30, 2008, 03:30:51 PM »
Fox - I wasn't complaining, just noting that I have been here for five years, and this period included changing universities and this is the 1st time they have asked for a medical for visa renewal.  So things are tightening up.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 05:39:10 PM by Lotus Eater »

« Reply #419 on: December 30, 2008, 04:47:46 PM »
HM didn't have to take medical to renew his visa. Nor did his father when renewing his. They work for different establishments.