A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall... (THE VISA NIGHTMARE!)

• 545 replies
Re: A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall... (THE VISA NIGHTMARE!)
« Reply #360 on: September 17, 2008, 01:23:37 AM »
Oh yeah, they have been asking for bank statement or at least $6,000 cash in various Embassies. My MIL was asked to present all of that. But then PIL's letter of invitation and work permit were enough to get her here without presenting all those statements.

Shroomy

« Reply #361 on: September 17, 2008, 02:23:36 AM »
Clearly Bermudans are a high risk for overstaying their visas and trying to immigrate!! ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah

They want to be sure you're not just coming here for the fantastic welfare system.  bibibibibi

Or, Bermuda requires these things of visiting Chinese, so you get the reciprocal treatment.  That happens to Americans.  Prices for visas are much higher for Americans than for countries who charge Chinese less for their visas.
Back home and still confused about what the locals are saying.

babala

« Reply #362 on: September 22, 2008, 07:19:34 AM »
Police check, interesting...

I actually had to get a police check when I got home... to be able to work at Wal*Mart  aoaoaoaoao

Hopefully I can get a copy for free from them afafafafaf
Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. Homer Simpson

« Reply #363 on: September 25, 2008, 03:18:36 PM »
It looks like things might be getting better for those of us on business visas.
Although still a lot of ambiguity.

http://english.sz.gov.cn/ln/200809/t20080923_432402.htm
The future's so bright i gotta wear shades

« Reply #364 on: September 27, 2008, 01:34:50 PM »
. Smoking a spliff in uni campus and getting busted to relieving yourself in a side alley on the way home to driving convictions and speeding tickets.

Wow! Looks like mum was right in always saying "be sure your sins will find you out"

I think someone up there doesn't want me in China! Actually I'm not a bad old bird really uuuuuuuuuu Just because I lacked motivation (read-too lazy)and didn't get a Uni degree and had a mis-spent youth and wrecked my heart? Now my police record wants to catch up with me! Puleese,sir, all I did was grow one magnificent hoochey cooch plant, but I never smoked the stuff. Just idle curiosity really and it was so good,that even the police were greatly impressed. Cost me a week's wages and no conviction recorded! wonder if it would show up? My reason for having it was believed, following a dawn raid on my house and property.aoaoaoaoao Did someone just ask how I got caught? The people I paid to house sit my dog when I was away thought that they would do the "right" thing. bibibibibi Maybe it's three strikes and I'm really out!! llllllllll llllllllll

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #365 on: September 27, 2008, 07:33:36 PM »
If a conviction wasn't recorded it shouldn't show up.  Depends on what the request is for - convictions of arrests.  Little stuff should also fall off after 10 years.

« Reply #366 on: September 28, 2008, 07:11:38 PM »
Agreed, LE, no conviction should mean no record. I had one very minor indiscretion in my (very) distant youth, and as there was no conviction (suspended sentence) nothing showed when I got my police check many years later.
I also agree that little stuff should fall off after a significant time has passed; but does it? We live in a world that is not only becoming smaller, but smaller-minded. Officials everywhere are increasingly officious. Common sense and good judgement remain uncommon qualities.
TIC, YMMV. Check that; everyone's mileage will vary.

« Reply #367 on: September 28, 2008, 08:38:59 PM »
We had a teacher arrive here on an F visa.  She has a FEC book now and her visa changed in her passport.  This is in Dalian, Liaoning Province.
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

AMonk

« Reply #368 on: September 28, 2008, 09:22:14 PM »
Latest word (through my travel agent, via a telephone conversation with her visa-expediting contact in New York) is that China doesn't want to issue (F) visas any sooner than 30 days before the expected date of arrival in PRC. 

My understanding had been that it was a 3-months window.
Moderation....in most things...

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #369 on: September 29, 2008, 01:31:49 PM »
China's embassy to the US lists 3 visa services.  One of them (Oasis) now has this pop-up when you visit it:

"GOOD NEWS!!!  Itinerary, hotel reservation & visa notification form are no longer required for Tourist and Business visas."

And on the home page:
"Chinese Embassy just changed the visa policy, now everything has just become much easier. Please check the detail requirement in the Visa Type's page.                                 -Sep 22, 2008"

This certainly solves my problem about how to explain that my job is portable and I don't really need vacations in the classic sense to travel, just a lighter than average workload.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 02:00:28 PM by Escaped Lunatic »
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #370 on: October 09, 2008, 09:16:01 PM »
The news seems to be very controversial. Looks like Embassies in different countries have different requirements for different types of visa. Here's what I have so far:
1. Beijing starts issuing/extending F visas again within 1 month time
2. In Zhuhai now, if you entered on L visa and plan on changing to residency (dependent's), forget about it. You can only get 6 months SINGLE entry L visa on which you can leave and come back once.
3. The immigration office in Zhuhai has issued some warning to teaching establishments that from January 2009 they will require all teacher's to get some special expert's certificate (seems like old ones will be canceled and new ones issued). However, anyone below 25 and above 60 will not be granted such certificates and whatever they have now will only be valid till end of this year. Nuts, isn't it?
4. ESL certificate is required now in Zhuhai to apply for Experts'Certificate and residency with a purpose of employment. Native speaker or not, you are required to have one.
Now, RUMOUR has that this is going to be imposed on whole of Guangdong province.
I know that till January 2009 things may change 1000 times. Let's hope they only change for the better, not for the worse.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #371 on: October 09, 2008, 10:38:56 PM »
The immigration office in Zhuhai has issued some warning to teaching establishments that from January 2009 they will require all teacher's to get some special expert's certificate (seems like old ones will be canceled and new ones issued). However, anyone below 25 and above 60 will not be granted such certificates and whatever they have now will only be valid till end of this year. Nuts, isn't it?

This one seems to be happening in Hunan as well.  At least the under 25 part.

Babe

« Reply #372 on: October 10, 2008, 03:38:57 AM »
1. Beijing starts issuing/extending F visas again within 1 month time
2. In Zhuhai now, if you entered on L visa and plan on changing to residency (dependent's), forget about it. You can only get 6 months SINGLE entry L visa on which you can leave and come back once.
3. The immigration office in Zhuhai has issued some warning to teaching establishments that from January 2009 they will require all teacher's to get some special expert's certificate (seems like old ones will be canceled and new ones issued). However, anyone below 25 and above 60 will not be granted such certificates and whatever they have now will only be valid till end of this year. Nuts, isn't it?
4. ESL certificate is required now in Zhuhai to apply for Experts'Certificate and residency with a purpose of employment. Native speaker or not, you are required to have one.
Now, RUMOUR has that this is going to be imposed on whole of Guangdong province.

Where did you find this information? I couldn't find anything like this on the Chinese Website.

« Reply #373 on: October 10, 2008, 05:13:07 AM »
The University FIL works for e-mailed it to teachers. Believe me, Zhuhai lives by its own laws. You won't find anything on websites. You tell them about the general rules, they tell you they have their own rules.

Babe

« Reply #374 on: October 10, 2008, 05:01:26 PM »
The University FIL works for e-mailed it to teachers. Believe me, Zhuhai lives by its own laws. You won't find anything on websites. You tell them about the general rules, they tell you they have their own rules.

Oh, I am speechless.  llllllllll