A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall... (THE VISA NIGHTMARE!)

• 545 replies

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
Re: A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall... (THE VISA NIGHTMARE!)
« Reply #480 on: July 05, 2009, 05:19:06 PM »
This is what makes trying to advise people on this stuff so totally infuriating...and downright dangerous. Official rules notwithstanding, if you approach the right person at the right window at the right moment on the right day, pretty much anything could conceivably happen. Take that last sentence and substitute the word "wrong" for all the appearances of the word "right",and pretty much NOTHING could conceivably happen.

The only really reliable rule or advice seems to be, "Prepare for the worst, hope for the best." llllllllll
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

друг всего мира

• Видна из Кремля вся советская земля
    • Russian Club Shanghai
« Reply #481 on: July 05, 2009, 05:30:14 PM »
Raoul,

What you write is so, so true particularly in terms of China.  There is no uniform consistency, only a uniform inconsistency.

Last year a friend of mine went to the Shanghai PSB for a visa renewal.  Her papers were in complete disorder.  The clerk basically screamed at her and told her to go away.  Two days later, that clerk was on vacation.  The FAO took the candidate back to the PSB and they chatted with the replacement.  The new visa was issued in one week and truly my friend's papers were in the greatest disorder possible.  Not now, however.

Anecdotal, I know but we all saw this happen.

Kind regards,

the mini-Pork Dumpling
Дурака учить - что мёртвого лечить.

« Reply #482 on: July 08, 2009, 07:43:01 PM »
Hey, Raoul Duke! Here the topic I think is for Complained the Visa in china. right? but I would like to Swear what we asia people especially the chinese in western, the visa is hard to apply whatever you have a big reason. I been west for a couple years, the "W" visa is going hard up for it, the "S" visa is easy cause cost. I feel china is opening and visa devolping country there, you know we welcomed like a handrud years ago, The difference is that a handrud years ago the west arrvial in china with weapons, now without. bjbjbjbjbj
you know chinese saying:" American visa is world visa in anywhere ". but I have no idea for what you said "Z" or "L" visa meaning at all?

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
« Reply #483 on: July 08, 2009, 08:39:47 PM »
The Oz govt just sent notice of certain changes in visas. Says that officially tourist and business visas are simply not going to be changed to other visas any more.

I know some people including me have known people who managed to do so, but apparently there has been a recent official policy change to stronger enforcement of the rules.

Several other rules have also been increased in enforcement, mostly to do with such things as F**** G*** and contraband, and business laws such as being detained if your company owes wages or there is a dispute about sackings etc.

AUstralians have apparently been deported for 'minor' things in regards visa issues, and jailed for overstaying visas.

So, less leeway in any breach of any rules and laws, guys.

Things are supposedly tightening up.

(I discussed (or tried to, he wasn't very forthcoming) this with my FAO and he said there is still no problem with me, although he strongly implied that it wasn't the case for others.)
Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.

DaDan

• Yeppers! We`be livin now!
« Reply #484 on: July 25, 2009, 02:18:19 AM »
09/07/23 U.S. pssport L visa, 6 month multi entry with 30 max entry.
1800 HK dollars(said F =1950)
Hong Kong agent, overnight service, 1photo, pssport & $$, needed a biz card with HK address, they made one for 80HK.

Crossing Shenzhen - HK & back nothin new noticed.
me pappy sayd... 
Once ya get past the smell... ...:P ... `You got it licked...

El Macho

• 东北人都是活雷锋
« Reply #485 on: August 05, 2009, 03:32:40 AM »
Just got a 30 day tourist visa in Seoul. Had to go through a travel agent, total cost for the visa and agent's fee was KRW140,000 or $115.45. Since I'm not applying from my home country, I could only get a 30 day visa.

Interestingly, I didn't actually have to fill out the application form, just submit one photograph. I was skeptical, but I have the visa in my passport.

Supposedly my uni will be able to get me on a student visa once I arrive...we shall see about that.

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
« Reply #486 on: August 05, 2009, 04:04:44 AM »
This is what makes trying to advise people on this stuff so totally infuriating...and downright dangerous. Official rules notwithstanding, if you approach the right person at the right window at the right moment on the right day, pretty much anything could conceivably happen. Take that last sentence and substitute the word "wrong" for all the appearances of the word "right",and pretty much NOTHING could conceivably happen.

Did that, got "wrong"! Went to Macau office.

In 2004, I got 6 month F (business) visa there, no problem, didn't even need letter from Chinese company. This time, I had letter, duly decorated with company seal. "We don't do F visas, go back to Canada for that."

Previous trips, I've got 30 day tourist visa and others got 90. This time, all they'd give me was 15!

Previous trips, apply in morning, pick up in afternoon. This time, on Friday morning, "Come back Monday." A weekend in Macau sounds like fun (it was), but the woman I left in Zhuhai, expecting me back in time to take her to dinner, won't be pleased (she wasn't).

Going to HK in a few days with a friend who has done it before there; hope that works better.
Who put a stop payment on my reality check?

« Reply #487 on: May 14, 2011, 11:32:16 PM »
What's the situation on getting Chinese visas in Hong Kong these days?

I need a 3 month F visa. Letter of invitation will be supplied by the company (a western mulitnational) I'll be with.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #488 on: May 15, 2011, 02:50:15 AM »
As near as I can tell from a recent conversation with someone at China Travel Service (CTS), it's still OK to get L and F visas in HK. Z visas and residence permits, I fear, are a thing of the past. ananananan

What's really scary to me is that the CTS people- as in, the staff of the official state-owned Chinese company for handling visa applications- seem at least as befuddled about the current visa rules and regulations as we are. apapapapap ssssssssss

My advice would be to call CTS directly...you may not choose to get your visa through them (although they're who I always used myself), but they should be as good a choice as there is when it comes to learning the rules that any other visa agency will have to follow. If you're still in Canada or the USA, there should be an office there you can call toll-free. If you're already in China, get an IP card and call the HK office. Phone numbers are easy to find online. bjbjbjbjbj

And where, pray tell, is that visit down this way you were supposed to be making? asasasasas
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

xwarrior

« Reply #489 on: May 15, 2011, 03:33:19 PM »
I think the visa situation is in condition 'normal' - which means that for most of the time you can get most of the visa types.

I got a Zvisa 6 months ago out of Hong Kong.

RD's advice to contact CTS is the way to go. My college used Everbright and it was a no-sweat operation. The agents know the current situation on a daily basis - and they also know how to solve any problem that might arise. TIC!

I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

jpd01

« Reply #490 on: May 15, 2011, 05:03:07 PM »
If you are with a western company that is going to provide you with all the nessesary documents to apply for you F visa in an above board way then I don't think you should run into any serious problems getting an F visa.
"I don't understand what I did wrong except live a life that everyone is jealous of." Charlie Sheen.

« Reply #491 on: May 15, 2011, 06:35:52 PM »
Actually things are tightening up in HongKong again due to the Shenzhen Universiade coming up in August. In the last week i know 2 people who had trouble getting the visa they wanted in HK. One person was rejected for having too many F visas already in his passport??? and he had to get his wife to come across with their marriage papers to be allowed a new visa. The 2nd person applied for a 6 month F visa but was only granted a 1 month single entry visa for a cost of 2900rmb and was told it was due to the games.

If you can get your visa in any other country i'd recommend that option.

The future's so bright i gotta wear shades

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #492 on: May 16, 2011, 03:06:48 PM »
I'm still getting over all the annoyances caused by the Guangzhou games. asasasasas

Maybe we need to change the title of this thread to "Big Sports Events and VISAs don't mix."
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #493 on: May 17, 2011, 03:27:20 AM »
Although anecdotal evidence may not mean anything in terms of solid advice or recommendations, I'll share my recent experiences:

Last spring, I left China on the expiration of a residence permit and got a new, 90 day F visa in Nagasaki, Japan. I was visiting a friend and the consulate in Nagasaki was very small- in fact I didn't see any people there who were not working there.. it was very relaxing and a far cry from the stressful 1 hour plus queues and hassles I encountered in San Francisco.

In February I got a new Z visa in Hong Kong, no problems. I was told that this would not have worked at any other consulate/embassy as HK was specified on one of my documents (invitation letter I believe?) I would certainly like to think an F should be more straightforward.

xwarrior

« Reply #494 on: May 17, 2011, 04:06:50 AM »
I was told that this would not have worked at any other consulate/embassy as HK was specified on one of my documents (invitation letter I believe?)
ance

I think that is something we overlook - mainly because it is usually not a problem.

But, it is something to keep in mind when they do tighten up on the issue of Zvisas from HK. It would pay to talk things over with an FAO to make sure the Invitation Letter specifies Hong Kong as the place of issuance. 
I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler