The future

• 24 replies

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
Re: The future
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2008, 04:08:14 PM »
The future will always amaze us, because it will twist and turn in ways we haven't thought of.

But creativity exists without the conditions you specify for its genesis.  It always has.  people have created music, art, dance, drama, new ways of doing things, new uses for old things, new businesses, etc without those conditions in place.  Each village I have been to in China has musicians, story tellers, creative processes in both the arts and daily life.  Many of these villages still don't have reliable electricity, running water, affordable medical care, schooling. 

What they may not have had is widespread coverage of their creations.  I think what we look at now as creativity and call different is the ability to broadcast these creative endeavours and recognise them more widely. Music now written in Australia can be heard in the UK, businesses originating in the US spread across the world.  I'm not sure that this makes us any more creative in total, but certainly more creations are known.

I know nothing about the people in Eastern Europe, so have no basis for comparison there, but if we are discussing poverty in general, I do not think that the Chinese people have any more personal dignity than any other nationality.  There are those who will carry themselves with dignity and those who will be bottom feeders in any society.

Since March this year, Chinese authorities have become MORE authoritarian, more repressive. And given the control of the media they have been able to do the same as the US media - maintain/heighten a state of fear in the majority of the people.  Therefore the majority of people in China have little compunction in permitting the gov't to do this.  There are few Han people protesting the crack-down on T'an or those other scary people to the north west.

This week my Oral English classes are discussing "It is more important to be a) a world citizen or b) a Chinese citizen first."  It will be really interesting to see what they come up with.  I have some minority students in the classes so ...

George

• My view of China
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2008, 04:32:27 PM »
compunction
Methinks that's the wrong word!
"any uneasiness or hesitation about the rightness of an action."
I would have thought there might be a lot of unease.
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2008, 04:45:32 PM »
I think if you ask the general populace if they think that 'the police action' and the security enhancements were necessary or warranted - they would agree that the gov't did the right thing.  So I think 'little compunction' still stands.

A few don't agree, but we are talking majority - the ones who don't research, read and in general aren't interested.

Spaghetti

• Goo Goo Muck
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2008, 07:25:36 PM »
I'm of the opinion that the future is not as good as it used to be. alalalalal
"Most young people were getting jobs in big companies, becoming company men. I wanted to be an individual."
Haruki Murakami

fox

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2008, 08:09:00 PM »
This week my Oral English classes are discussing "It is more important to be a) a world citizen or b) a Chinese citizen first."  It will be really interesting to see what they come up with.  I have some minority students in the classes so ...

a difficult question to pose for the younguns.

i think we should be proud of our cultures but also embrace being part of the bigger picture. it will be interesting to read from you  what they think.
regard man as a mine rich in gems of inestimable value.

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2008, 06:14:34 AM »
I'm of the opinion that the future is not as good as it used to be. alalalalal

That's nostalgia.

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

The future is like, the future. Nobody (sic) knows what will be. Will be. Kay Sera said that.
Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2008, 02:57:05 PM »
Nobody is nostalgic  bkbkbkbkbk
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2008, 05:37:20 AM »
I guess we should also remember that when we talk about what the Chinese people are like or what they think, we only have seen a tiny fraction of the population.  Who knows what the majority opinion is or what they base it on?

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2008, 05:50:30 AM »
My students, in their analysis of their culture, see that the ability to move between classes is money based.  Some of this is achievable by power (gov't jobs), some through education, but the acquisition of money is the main method of class mobility.  They also decry it, talking about spiritual values, but all admit the reality of the situation, and all aspire to be part of it.

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2008, 05:54:18 AM »
I am like a guy who orders a hamburger. All I want is the same as I can get back home.

One with everything.

Search for that on the net and see what happens.
Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.