China TESOL Network + David Huang

• 5 replies
China TESOL Network + David Huang
« on: March 12, 2008, 06:19:19 PM »
Does anyone know anything about this company. They contacted me through abroadchina.com. Looking for a teacher for Taizhou city,ZHejiang province. They offer is rmb7500/m for the first three months and rmb8500 to 9000rmb/m for the rest 9
 months. free furnished apartment and airfare reimbursement. 5 work days with two days off a week.Small class and adult students only.

Does anyone know anything ab this city? I am hoping to live in a city that is close to my friend (Suzhou) and is medium to large in size and metropolitan with lots of museums or very easy to get to such place. I also hope to find something that has a good expat community. Any advice would be helpful. Thank you!
"All young people need somebody bad to look up to and I hope I can be that for you tonight. "

John Waters

AMonk

Re: China TESOL Network + David Huang
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 11:14:50 PM »
Questions to ask....
1. The names and contact info of present and past teachers
2. Why the difference in pay between the first 3 months and the rest of the year?  .... does this give them a way to save money by letting you go for not "meeting standards"
3. Is Z-visa/Resident paper included?  If not, then walk/run away.
Moderation....in most things...

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 06:53:45 AM »
China TESOL Network are recruiters...and thus should be approached with caution if at all. Recruiters have a ROTTEN track record in China. Please consider not using one. You don't really need them anyway.

The school deal doesn't seem too bad on the surface, but...
- it MUST include a residence permit
- the apartment should be fully private, not shared...and don't be taken in by the words "private bedroom"!
- the acceptability of the hours depends a lot on the number of hours- classroom and otherwise- you're required to spend lurking about the school.
- I REALLY HATE these schemes where you work cheaper for a few months before you get your full salary. They are IMHO out-and-out stealing...you still have to do the same work, and they don't refund you the difference in salary if they decide to retain you after the "trial period". Schools do this purely to cut their costs...and for no other reason. Negotiate this one out or keep looking.

Taizhou is on the coast of the southern half of Zhejiang Province (which borders Suzhou's Jiangsu Province). It's fairly big...probably in the same size range as Suzhou. It's not a terrible place, but it's a pretty new city and doesn't have a lot of local architectural or historical color. It's far enough away from Hangzhou, Ningbo, and Shanghai to fall back into the "rather provincial and boring" category. Environment is so-so...being near the sea helps, but then one of their major local points of pride is their immense bank of coal-fired power plants. There's a fair amount of heavy industry there. However, it's also something of an agricultural center, and there are a number natural-scenery-type spots in the region. Zhejiang is very rich, and the economy in Taizhou seems to be sufficiently robust.
Upshot: it's not even close to an A-List city...but you could definitely do a lot worse.

However, it isn't within easy striking distance of Suzhou. Currently all trains from Zhejiang to Suzhou route through Shanghai first, which adds about an hour to any such trip. I'd estimate that the trip by train will take you at least 6-7 hours each way; less if there's a new CRH high-speed train serving this route. (I wouldn't count on this; southern Zhejiang is much further down the "pecking order" than the north down through Hangzhou and Ningbo) There may well not be a large choice of train times available to you either direction. You might also be able to get a bus, but would not be surprised if you had to change buses in somewhere like Hangzhou in the process. This will also be a long, uncomfortable trip. Buses operate pretty strictly only during daylight hours, so again you won't likely have a lot of choices. So you CAN get to Suzhou within a day, but you won't be casually zipping up here for a day or for too many weekends. Your Saturday nights at the Shamrock will likely be tempered by an early train or bus home on Sunday.
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

old34

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 09:39:09 AM »
There are no trains in, to, or from Taizhou. The whole area is encircled by mountains and they've never built a train line to the area. So it's all busses all the way - to Hangzhou, Ningbo, Wenzhou, and Shanghai - when you want to get away.

Another note, "Taizhou" is actually more like what we would call a county. It's a cluster of cities, the main ones being Linhai, Tiantai, Xian Ju, Wenling, Jiao Jiang, Huangyan, Lu Qiao and an actual, small Taizhou City. But residants from all those cities will tell you they are from "Taizhou city". It can be more than 2 hours by highway bus from one side of "Taizhou" to the other. Point being be sure to ask specifically what CITY in Taizhou the posting is for.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

Monkey King

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 02:20:15 PM »
Taizhou to Suzhou would be a long haul (8 hours or so at a guess).  There are few foreigners there. 

I don't know if you know this, but one can be more pro-active at job hunting here and just contact schools and uni's on spec.  From your description, I would recommend Hangzhou - it's close to Suzhou has most of the things you mention, and a lot of schools,  although salaries, at least at the public uni's, can be low.

Oh, and you can do IELTS invigilating in Hangzhou, which I believe you asked about elsewhere.

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 03:06:33 PM »
Thank you everyone for your advice. It sounds like this placement is nothing that i am looking for. I will be coming out to Suzhou at the end of the month to check out the situation. Hope to meet you all when I arrive.
"All young people need somebody bad to look up to and I hope I can be that for you tonight. "

John Waters

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 07:38:20 PM »
If you want to pursue this, talk to Babala when you get here...she taught there a while. Poor thing has been quite ill, but she'll be around when ya get here...
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)