Movie/film thread: resurrected

• 2327 replies
Re: Movie/film thread: resurrected
« Reply #1125 on: September 07, 2009, 08:26:34 PM »
Just saw the Aussie movie "Charlie and Boots" starring Paul Hogan and Shane Jacobson(Kenny) Boots decides to take his Dad Charlie on a road trip(in the Kingswood) from Victoria to go fishing at Cape York.Virtually from one end of Australia to the other on the East coast. This should appeal to Aussies from the bush,who will understand what is going on and what is being said.I really loved the great scenery. I got a nice surprise, when they drove past the home I grew up in. They even stopped in the main street to have a bite to eat and I saw the shop my Dad worked in and many other familiar sites. This would be a good movie to show students about country folk and their humour.  bfbfbfbfbf

« Reply #1126 on: September 11, 2009, 10:52:06 PM »
Been downloading movies for my Drama class. Just watched Laurence Olivier in "Richard III"...that man was a genius.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

old34

« Reply #1127 on: September 12, 2009, 02:41:39 AM »
Been downloading movies for my Drama class. Just watched Laurence Olivier in "Richard III"...that man was a genius.

Which man? Olivier, Richard III, or Shakespeare?
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #1128 on: September 12, 2009, 03:35:19 AM »
Olivier - and pretty yummy with it - although Richard Burton..... akakakakak

« Reply #1129 on: September 12, 2009, 05:30:53 AM »
All three were brilliant! Ahhh...I now have "The Merchant of Venice", "Much Ado About Nothing", "Henry V" (both the Branagh and Olivier version), "Taming of the shrew" and " A Midsommer Nights Dream".... agagagagag agagagagag
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

« Reply #1130 on: September 12, 2009, 11:39:02 PM »
Just watched District Nine (there's a high quality torrent and, probably, a DVD in China too)..

Absolutely brilliant.  See it now, especially if you're a Verhoeven fan.
It is too early to say.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #1131 on: September 23, 2009, 05:49:48 PM »
Big Bang Theory.  Silly as but with one good line per episode.  Also vaguely reminiscent of people I know!!

« Reply #1132 on: September 23, 2009, 07:30:07 PM »
ETR: Branagh's version (H5) is brilliant, imho. Even people who don't like Shakespeare can get into it. Do you have the TS with John Cleese? I think he was in that about 8 or 10 years after Monty Python broke up. I never expected him to do Shakespeare, but then no one expects... the Shakespearean Post-Python Mission.

Schnerby

« Reply #1133 on: September 23, 2009, 11:08:33 PM »
but then no one expects... the Shakespearean Post-Python Mission.

ahahahahah ahahahahah

old34

« Reply #1134 on: September 24, 2009, 12:12:26 AM »
but then no one expects... the Shakespearean Post-Python Mission.

ahahahahah ahahahahah

Their three weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency (I wonder where Ruth is)...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Bard.

(Oops, mixed my comedy troupe metaphors.)
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

A-Train

« Reply #1135 on: September 24, 2009, 03:34:23 AM »
Pretty good French movie I just saw called "The Class".  Thought it might be appealling to teachers since it's set in a classroom.  It's in Paris' inner city with a very multi-cultural class.
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #1136 on: September 26, 2009, 04:38:56 AM »
A really good BBC doco "The genius of Photography'.  We done, well narrated - excellent all round.  With some of the all time most famous photos and their stories.

« Reply #1137 on: October 01, 2009, 10:56:25 PM »
Observe and Report

I haven't seen an actually blackly comical black comedy in a while.  Observe and Report rides a thin line between "there's a joke, you may laugh now" and homespun scary.  It doesn't go into the safely bizarre like Fight Club, and it doesn't settle into Clerks style mockery.  Instead it seems to be freakishly real.  Taxi Driver meets Mall Rats.

Transformers - Revenge of The Fallen

My first BluRay experience.  Otherwise mostly forgettable.

Oh, and..

District 9

bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf

Check it out.  Just as much CGI jiggery pokery as Transformers but with a whole other "alien" experience.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 11:02:40 PM by Calach Pfeffer »
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

fox

« Reply #1138 on: October 02, 2009, 12:30:24 AM »
the terminal.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0362227/

Tom Hanks doing his stuff.

a great movie. i dont know how it escaped me its now 5 years old.
family and student appropriate.
regard man as a mine rich in gems of inestimable value.

« Reply #1139 on: October 07, 2009, 08:06:52 AM »
the first three episodes of series 7 of Curb Your Enthusiasm.  Larry up to his usual impressive standards.

Funniest American of all time, in my view.
It is too early to say.