• Home
  • Search
    •  
  • Login
    • Username: Password:

Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Movie/film thread: resurrected  (Read 378609 times)

Calach Pfeffer

• Barfly
Re: Movie/film thread: resurrected
« Reply #2295 on: May 04, 2019, 10:41:24 AM »

» now with New and Endlessly Improving CV 4U  ٩( ᐛ )و

Calach Pfeffer

• Barfly
« Reply #2296 on: May 14, 2019, 11:27:29 AM »
The Wandering Earth (2019)

Chinese scifi blockbuster produces truly horrifying vision of materialist dystopia. Pretty to look at, though. probably should see it on a big screen. And afterwards try washing the soullessness from the soul you don't have anymore.

bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf

Escaped Lunatic

• Global Moderator
  • Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #2297 on: May 16, 2019, 03:08:33 AM »
Did you get The Wandering Earth with English subtitles?

Iron Sky 2 - I haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but if it's half as funny as the original, it will be well worth watching.  Will update soon.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

Calach Pfeffer

• Barfly
« Reply #2298 on: May 16, 2019, 06:00:09 AM »
Yep. Couple of weeks ago, The Wandering Earth became available to stream on Netflix and the official subtitles came along for the ride.

As blockbusters go, there are a few issues, like for instance, WHERE'S THE DAMN NARRATIVE FOCUS, WHY DO WE KEEP JUMPING FROM BLOCKBUSTER LOCATION TO BLOCKBUSTER LOCATION?! Is it a driving movie, a buddy movie, a freaking Spring Festival movie, a war movie, a skyscraper disaster, or is it a goddamned space story?! JUST TELL ME ONE OKAY>!

Which actually is relatively minor as a complaint in a blockbuster. I mean, all of the different aspects are genuinely well accomplished. It looks great!

But...

the movie has exactly one god, exactly one spiritual core, and it is nothing personified at all. It is nothing other than technical capability. Everyone and everything is not only subject to massed technical capability, THEY NEVER QUESTION IT, EVER! They might be pissed at how it has affected their lives. The kid is. But no one in the movie is horrified, and the movie itself is not horrified, at what they have done. THEY LAUNCHED THE EARTH OUT OF ORBIT.

My name is Charlton Heston. They are maniacs.