Movie/film thread: resurrected

• 2327 replies

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
Re: Movie/film thread: resurrected
« Reply #2115 on: April 11, 2017, 11:41:18 PM »
I thought The Discovery was "meh"... a waste of 143 minutes. I hope in my 'after life' it is never made.  kkkkkkkkkk  ahahahahah
The Koreans once gave me five minutes notice - I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
« Reply #2116 on: April 16, 2017, 12:03:01 PM »
La La Land (2016)

You probably know this already but...

A musical 'love story' filmed on 35mm film in Cinemascope, it's meant to be evocative of 1950s 'feel good' escapist entertainment; and it works... sort of.

Some great song & dance numbers with amazing production values, a saturated colour palate and the fact all the music is real (the entire score is people actually playing musical instruments) do not make up its shortcomings:
- it's a musical with no great/memorable song(s)
- the lovers never really 'click' (perhaps on purpose)
- the ending sucks!

Is it a love story... or a tragedy... or a tragic love story? Its none of these. The lovers give up each other to follow their dreams; so it's not a love story. However, they do get what they want; so it's not a tragedy. And, they don't die together; so it's not Romeo and Juliet.

The thing that makes 'feel good' escapist entertainment work is, in the end, love conquers all. The ending of La la Land leaves the viewer feeling hollow, disappointed and 'ripped off'. The characters get what they want... but the viewer doesn't.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 12:18:56 PM by cruisemonkey »
The Koreans once gave me five minutes notice - I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

« Reply #2117 on: April 17, 2017, 11:22:53 PM »
Robot Wars (2016)

To be confused with neither the Robot Wars tv show (wherein real production teams make robots and make them fight) nor the 1993 "cyberpunk" Robot Wars movie wherein who even knows what happens, this Robot Wars is a "found footage" reconstruction of the corporate heist gone wrong of a SHINY AND POWERFUL MACGUFFIN! Featuring a FPS video game aesthetic and lots of Shaky Cam with annoying HUD overlay from ocular implants, this movie is actually not bad. Worse acting than the Blair Witch Project, but better story telling. The movie would be better called Kill Box or Sprawl Heist or SHINY AND POWERFUL MUCGUFFIN KILLS ALL! since there is just the one robot, and it has next to no role in anything that happens. but hey. Robots.

bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

« Reply #2118 on: May 06, 2017, 12:54:23 PM »
THE ZOOKEEPER'S WIFE: This is based on a true story and is really worth watching. I had no real idea about the movie before I saw it, except to know that there was a woman in the picture holding a lion cub. I won't say anymore in case anyone wants to do as I did. If not, you can always look it up on the computer and decide if you will see it. bfbfbfbfbf

« Reply #2119 on: May 08, 2017, 04:32:43 PM »
Titanic (1997)

Finally watched this. All 3 hours and 14 minutes. I thought Jack's sketches rather pedestrian, tbh, no individual spark and not really "art". That aside, I don't entirely know what I watched. The romance was engaging, the disaster compelling (and maaaaybe contextualised the romance), Celine Dion finally made sense. Aw shucks, I enjoyed it overall.

bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #2120 on: May 08, 2017, 07:12:37 PM »
Oh Jack!  I'll never let you go! (drops Jack's hand and watches him sink like a rock)
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #2121 on: May 18, 2017, 01:56:02 PM »
Logan (2017)

Lotta elements in this movie. It's a scifi future urban dystopia cowboy noir thriller road movie with superheroes. Set twenty-five years after the goofy exploits of various X-Men franchise movies, we find that in all that time no new mutants have been born. Professor X, the collector of mutants and superhero teacher, now has Alzheimer's and has to be kept away from other people, while the last of the superheros, Wolverine/Logan, is a punchy old man and dying. And then this kid appears.

For a solid ninety minutes this movie gallops down a compelling urban gothic road and is good. (I suppose it would look good in colour but I watched with the colour turned off and the contrast turned up - getting a jump on the "Noir" edition that'll be released next week, thank you Mad Max: Fury Road Black & Chrome Edition for starting that trend.) The movie runs for 2 hrs and 13 minutes however. Still worth it.

bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #2122 on: May 18, 2017, 11:44:24 PM »
Looking forward to the new Alien movie.  Planning to go to the US to see it, since it's not showing in China and I want to see it on the big screen.  Seeing everything Alien on the big screen has been a tradition since my grandfather took me to the first one in 1979 and I'm not going to let being in a country that's not showing it get in the way.  (OK, I'd have settled for catching it in HK, but am going to the US in early June anyway.)  I've gone to great efforts to avoid any spoilers - even skipped watching any trailers for it.  Sucky or spectacular, I don't want to know about 1 frame of the movie until I'm sitting there watching it on the big screen.

Fair warning:  Reviews are welcome, but anyone posting spoilers of that film without a BIG spoiler warning will suffer the following penalties:

1.  A 5 year job at a badly run branch of EF - in some South Korean backwater - so far back there's no running water.

2.  Nothing to eat for those 5 years except moldy rice guaranteed to provide you with 24/7/365 dysentery at levels just short of fatal.

3.  You'll have an MP3 player - with 1 song, a low quality copy of the Titanic theme, as performed by Alvin and the Chipmonks.

4.  Electricity?  You get a palm sized solar panel - for recharging your MP3 player.

5.  Your bed is guaranteed to be free of bedbugs, because the scorpions in the mattress ate them while waiting for you.

6.  Lice.  Lots of lice.  Head lice, body lice, and an extra abundance of crab lice.

7.  And more!  Much much more!  I'd tell you now, but I'm trying to avoid giving away too many spoilers about your doom.  uuuuuuuuuu

Trust me, we'll all be happier campers if there are no surprise spoilers posted for that movie. agagagagag
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #2123 on: May 19, 2017, 12:39:05 AM »
My grandmother took me to see the first Alien in 1979 - me, my brother, and my sister too. We trooped into the cinema. A guy in the row ahead did a double take. The lights went down. The eerie music began to play. Then the title letters began to appear. That's when I turned to my baffled siblings and said, you know, I think this might not be the Muppet Movie....

aoaoaoaoao aoaoaoaoao aoaoaoaoao

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #2124 on: May 19, 2017, 03:30:27 PM »
My grandfather and I spent a good part of the movie trying to scare each other. ahahahahah

EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #2125 on: May 20, 2017, 11:33:12 AM »
Pardon my ignorance, but is the movie called  ALIEN: COVENANT ? I don't think that I have seen any of these types of movies, so I might make the effort. agagagagag

« Reply #2126 on: May 21, 2017, 04:14:01 PM »
The Alien Franchise:

Alien (1979)
Aliens (1986)
Alien 3 (1992)
Alien: Resurrection (1997)

Prequels series:

Prometheus (2012)
Alien: Covenant (2017)

The original Alien movie gave us the character of Ripley. The sequel, Aliens, gave us Bishop, Hicks, and Newt, and then Aliens 3 cruelly took them away. Resurrection tried to give us Winona Ryder and then we endured the long dark night of no more Alien movies. One doesn't know for sure what to say of Prometheus except that it could have been great. We await Covenant and wonder what can be next, our chests bursting with hope...

The original Alien is worth watching. It leans more on horror and suspense. Aliens is worth watching too. It leans much more toward the action genre. They're all scifi.

« Reply #2127 on: May 22, 2017, 12:21:44 PM »
Thanks Calach! I can only watch what is on TV or at the movies, so I'll have to get my introduction through Alien: Covenant which is now at the movies. I hope that I will be able to understand what is happening. bfbfbfbfbf

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #2128 on: May 22, 2017, 04:45:51 PM »
Make sure to watch at least Alien and Prometheus first (and catch Aliens if you've got the time).  I've got no idea if Alien Covenant is going to provide enough background for people new to the Alien franchise or if it's going to be primarily for those of us who can quote dialogue from many of the films.

And Calach left out the Alien vs. Predator crossover movies.

And for those of you who were also crushed by the untimely interruption of Sigourney Weaver's disrobement in the first Alien movie (I know I was), about 25% of the otherwise forgettable Half Moon Street involves Sigourney taking off all of her clothes over and over again. afafafafaf
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #2129 on: May 22, 2017, 04:46:35 PM »
Thanks Calach! I can only watch what is on TV or at the movies, so I'll have to get my introduction through Alien: Covenant which is now at the movies. I hope that I will be able to understand what is happening. bfbfbfbfbf

Covenant is both a prequel and a sequel. Prequel to the first four Alien movies (and - presumably - featuring none of the original characters), and sequel to the first prequel, Prometheus. The original movies featured a fearsome and terrible "alien" species, an aggressively violent monster that would gestate inside a host species and had acid for blood. The prequels have introduced to us a second collection of aliens, the Engineers. These Engineers may or may not be the creators of us. They appear to have been the creators of the original monster aliens, which apparently they intended to use as a biological control agent on.... us.

In short, Covenant, which I haven't seen yet, will probably follow the dramatic model of the original movies (female protagonist sees the fight coming before others do, may have to sacrifice much in order to stay alive), but likely is a different story.

Also, according to the director, Ridley Scott, they're going back to their horror roots with this one. So it might be some icky parts.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 04:53:46 PM by Calach Pfeffer »