Movie/film thread: resurrected

• 2327 replies
Re: Movie/film thread: resurrected
« Reply #1980 on: April 28, 2015, 03:39:35 AM »
Which one, Blair Witch or Last Horror? The Blair Witch Project is worth watching. It is genuinely good as drama. The Last Horror Movie is - well, it's worth it for the sake of completeness, and the switcheroo is pretty good, but it's not a good movie.

As for It Follows, I too have been wondering about the hype. Possibly will take a look after I've finished my "found footage"-athon.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

« Reply #1981 on: April 29, 2015, 02:33:48 PM »
[REC] (2007)

Spanish found footage: filming one night at a firehouse, a cameraman and the host of a tv documentary show, "While You Were Sleeping", go with their assigned firemen on a call out to rescue a woman trapped in her apartment. Little do they know she is infected.

As a horror movie, it's very shouty. And includes a lot of "shaky cam", which doesn't seem entirely right for a professional tv cameraman. But it is scary at the end.

bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf

Credits tune: Carlos Ann - Vudu

« Reply #1982 on: May 01, 2015, 02:23:44 PM »
Paranormal Activity (2009)

A couple bring a video camera into their new home in an attempt to document what is haunting them. The haunting gets worse. This movie is tense nearly from the beginning. The drama is there, but so is the anxiety and then the fears. Scary movie.

apapapapap apapapapap aoaoaoaoao

« Reply #1983 on: May 02, 2015, 01:10:39 PM »
"THE LONGEST RIDE": A star-crossed love affair between Luke(Clint Eastwood's son) a former champion bull rider looking to make a comeback and Sophia, a college student about to embark upon her dream job in New York City's art world. As conflicting paths and ideals test their relationship, they make an unexpected and fateful connection with Ira (Alan Alda from MASH). I guess I liked this movie because I understand bull riders and their usual country lifestyles. I also watch MASH on TV every night, even though the episodes must be well over 30 yrs old. It was strange to see how Alan Alda aged. I'd never given any thought to how old these episodes were; I just enjoy them. bfbfbfbfbf

A-Train

« Reply #1984 on: May 03, 2015, 06:07:25 AM »
I also watch MASH on TV every night, even though the episodes must be well over 30 yrs old. It was strange to see how Alan Alda aged. I'd never given any thought to how old these episodes were; I just enjoy them. bfbfbfbfbf

You might have Netflix. I've also been watching the first couple seasons of M*A*S*H.  The quality and quantity of gags and one-liners might be unmatched in TV history. Those first two or three seasons don't get the true credit they deserve. And 24 episodes per season???  I'm with you on the time line shock. To think it's been 43 years since it premiered and it was only 20 years from the Korean War to that premier.

"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

« Reply #1985 on: May 03, 2015, 02:19:57 PM »
Kingsman: The Secret Service (2014)

Fairly run-of-the-mill throwback comedy/drama to the days of James Bond before Daniel Craig, yet elevated into something else by the church scene, the implant scene, and I was hoping for a third but it turned out to be a do it in the arsehole joke. Otherwise, not entirely a bad movie. Worth watching if you have nothing else to do.

bfbfbfbfbf cccccccccc

« Reply #1986 on: May 05, 2015, 05:20:34 PM »
Afflicted (2013)

Imperfect but thoroughly awesome "found footage" take on being "turned" in an age of uploaded video and travel blogging.

Being "turned" in this case means being infected by whatever it is that makes a vampire. The actual turning concentrates on the physical changes - strength, speed, need. The inability to die. So, these are monster vampires, not Tom Cruise-style seducers. Thank goodness for that. And the movie is great.

bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf

« Reply #1987 on: May 10, 2015, 03:27:34 PM »
Infini (2015)

Bit of a jaw-dropper, this. The standard scifi tropes are there: faraway mining planet, stranded search and rescue mission, weird time dilation. So there's lots of running around in claustrophobic industrial settings with jets of steam venting into corridors. But... the whole movie is a fantastically novel take on the meaning of survival instinct in personal identity, and it incorporates story elements of "the enemy within" that lift this film into something else. (Watch out for the violence, though - there's a lot of it.)

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #1988 on: May 11, 2015, 05:10:04 AM »
Maggie (2015)

A different kind of Zombie movie. It's a drama with Arnold Schwarzenegger as a father in rural Kansas who's daughter Maggie is slowly turning into a zombie. It's not focused on survival or cures or origin stories, but on how Maggie and her father (and those around them) feel and cope with the situation.

bfbfbfbfbf

« Reply #1989 on: May 17, 2015, 07:33:41 PM »
Chappie (2015)

Zef style sci fi. Totally gangsta.

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/odv_jyyCW-4/

« Reply #1990 on: June 01, 2015, 06:48:11 PM »
Pitch Perfect (2012)

Cheerful. Funny. Delightful. A women's a capella singing team in competition in college.

Pitch Perfect 2 (2015)

Feels like a rush job, to capitalise on what a hit the first movie became. Thus, it has a few moments, but overall not as much fun.

bfbfbfbfbf

We Came To Smash

« Reply #1991 on: June 03, 2015, 12:21:46 PM »
"San Andreas"; Starring Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson.  He plays the part of a rescue helicopter pilot for the Los Angeles fire department. He is in the air, when the mother of all earth quakes hits California. He sets out to rescue both his estranged wife and teenage daughter.  As a matter of interest, the massive chasm is actually a scene from the Lockyer Valley- 90km west of Brisbane, and is passed off as rural California. Parts of Brisbane City, the Gold Coast and the Lockyer Valley were turned into disaster zones. Some scenes portraying the streets of San Francisco were filmed in Brisbane's Central business district (as Granny Mae was at the "den" playing the pokies). No, I didn't even notice that I was being flooded and shaken! ahahahahah  To be quite honest, I wondered why "the rock" would play the lead in this film, because even I wouldn't want a part in it. Perhaps it is just me, but I found a lot of it quite laughable  and improbable when I think it was supposed to be serious; I was the only one laughing in the theatre. bibibibibi If you see it Calech, I'd love to know your opinion of it. bfbfbfbfbf

« Reply #1992 on: June 03, 2015, 07:40:01 PM »
Bend It Like Beckham

aaaaaaaaaa

Even Beckham refused to be in it.

« Reply #1993 on: June 06, 2015, 03:26:41 AM »
It Follows (2014)

As horror, a total snore-fest. The movie isn't really horror at all. Watch it as psychodrama, and it becomes a movie.

bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf

« Reply #1994 on: July 09, 2015, 02:12:15 AM »
Bande de filles (Girlhood) (2014)

Slow-moving, fantastical, and probably not social realism it appears to be. Nonetheless...

Reading some other reviews, it turns out there's a lot political to say about this movie. I don't know how to address that.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 02:25:04 AM by Calach Pfeffer »