Movie/film thread: resurrected

• 2327 replies

A-Train

Re: Movie/film thread: resurrected
« Reply #1470 on: January 12, 2013, 09:17:36 AM »
Saw "Jack Reacher" for free and still wanted my money back.
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

« Reply #1471 on: January 12, 2013, 11:23:17 AM »
I must be honest and say that I was disappointed in "The Life of Pi". The cinematography was really good, but to me, the story was too far out there. Every time I saw the Bengal Tiger, I thought no way will it behave like that. When I observed Pi's lack of life skills, I again felt that he wouldn't last very long in that situation. Given that I am from the country and have experienced things that city folk would not understand, I can see why I think as I do. If we go in to the second story that Pi told the Japanese investigators, we can draw all sorts of conclusions. There were about 80 people at the movie and they ranged from young children to old folk. I'd love to have heard their impressions of what they think they saw. I only have to listen to my elderly neighbour to know that in most cases, we could have been at different movies. ahahahahah

As for "Jack Reacher", I find it VERY hard to be objective given the leading man. bqbqbqbqbq

« Reply #1472 on: January 12, 2013, 06:09:34 PM »
I'm DYING to see Les Mis and The Hobbit....I'm praying like mad they will still be on in about 3 weeks time when I get holidays and head to Hong Kong! Looking forward to seeing how they translate a big musical like this to cinema. One of my favourite stories, got to see it at West End too  bfbfbfbfbf.
10 easy steps to stop procrastination.

A-Train

« Reply #1473 on: January 13, 2013, 06:50:54 AM »
Two-for-one last night:  "Zero Dark Thirty" and "The Impossible".  The latter is a true story of an English family vacationing in Thailand when the tsunami hit. Naomi Watts and Ewan McGregor. Enjoyed both very much but made for about four straight hours of tension.
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

« Reply #1474 on: January 13, 2013, 11:14:40 AM »
I'm DYING to see Les Mis .... Looking forward to seeing how they translate a big musical like this to cinema. One of my favourite stories, got to see it at West End too  bfbfbfbfbf.

I think that you will enjoy the way this is done, given the task at hand. Hugh Jackman put so much in to it and I was really surprised by his singing voice. On the other hand, I didn't think much of Russell's singing. Anne Hathaway also performed well, particularly in one song. I'll be interested to hear your views.

« Reply #1475 on: January 13, 2013, 05:16:39 PM »
Two-for-one last night:  "Zero Dark Thirty" and "The Impossible".  The latter is a true story of an English family vacationing in Thailand when the tsunami hit. Naomi Watts and Ewan McGregor. Enjoyed both very much but made for about four straight hours of tension.

I didn't think very much of 'The Impossible', but I really enjoyed 'Zero dark Thirty'. It seems to have got some lukewarm reviews, but i thought it was great. Easily my favourite of the Oscar nominated films so far.

Everybody keeps talking about whether the film justifies torure, but i think this is ridiculous. It's a story. I don't believe that countries should torture people, and I don't think generally that torture works as an interrogation methos. But obviously sometimes it works. The fact that something is sometimes true, doesn't make it true all the time.

In any case, its not as though the film makes the case uncategorically that it was all justified. (Spoiler alert, Bin Laden dies)

The main character believes that capturing (or killing) Bin Laden was a worthwhile priority, and worth the risk, and she persuades many of her superiors. That deosn't make her right. The film revelas just how much time, money, pain and death went into killing one man. I think at the end we're left to make our own judgement.

I suppose that it does make the case that UBL was using his house as a AQ base of oeprstions, and I'm not sure how true that was. That's fine. We don't know exactly what useful info was on all those hard drives in his house.

A lot of people have complained about the movie, but not actually seen it. It's worth watching. It's a well structured story and well-acted.

« Reply #1476 on: January 24, 2013, 11:49:10 AM »
My Grandson was down from Bundaberg staying with a mate during the school holidays. I met up with them in the city and took them to a restuarant and then down to the movies. The boys wanted to see Django Unchained or Gangster Squad. No go guys, because my Grandson was not yet 15 yrs old and these are rated MA15+. I had seen and enjoyed "Gangster Squad" and I really got to wonder about our society. I guess it will be ok. for the guys to get a copy on DVD or some other way, just as long as they don't do it/ view it, in public. bibibibibi The boys then went and saw "Jack Reacher" again. bibibibibi

« Reply #1477 on: January 24, 2013, 03:27:55 PM »
Gf and I watched "Life of Pi" yesterday and it was smashing. One of the most beautiful movies I have ever seen and, even better, one of the only movies based on a book I like that did not savage the book. agagagagag agagagagag

After handing in all exam scores today, it is time to watch Daniel Day-Lewis as Abraham Lincoln.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #1478 on: January 26, 2013, 04:34:44 AM »
Oh goodie ETR we are going tomorrow and was hoping it would not annoy me as movies of books I like usually do.
 agagagagag agagagagag
Also want to see Lincoln and Django although the latter is being over-hyped here so I am not sure I won't find it a let down.
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

« Reply #1479 on: January 26, 2013, 10:56:40 AM »
I saw Django unchained (165mins) yesterday. I didn't get bored and all the blood flying around does not bother me, however my neighbour kept saying eeeeeeewwwwwwww! Perhaps because I see too many movies, certain aspects jump out at me. In this film, it was that a "slave" of that era would not have been able to ride a horse so well (if at all) and the other thing, he would not have handled weapons (if at all) to the extent required to be able to shoot with a rifle for long range, or with pistols. Django certainly did not have the bearing of a slave of that era and he could also read. If you forget about those things, you can enjoy this action movie. bfbfbfbfbf

caley1313

• DH Allison, MBA, TESL
    • My Photo Gatherings
« Reply #1480 on: January 26, 2013, 11:15:37 AM »
Saw "Jack Reacher" for free and still wanted my money back.

Couldn't agree more. I was wondering how tiny tot Tom Cruise would play Lee Child's 6'4", 240 lb. Jack Reacher. I wasn't surprised. He didn't.
Carpe Diem, mi amigo, or...Seize the Big Fish as they say here in Carolina

caley1313

• DH Allison, MBA, TESL
    • My Photo Gatherings
« Reply #1481 on: January 26, 2013, 11:18:29 AM »
Oh goodie ETR we are going tomorrow and was hoping it would not annoy me as movies of books I like usually do.
 agagagagag agagagagag
Also want to see Lincoln and Django although the latter is being over-hyped here so I am not sure I won't find it a let down.

You gotta see Lincoln. One of the best movies that I've seen in a long, long time. The dialogue, drama and accurate portrayal of the time period are spot on.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #1482 on: January 26, 2013, 11:49:50 AM »
]

The dialogue, drama and accurate portrayal of the time period are spot on.

Brings you back to your childhood eh Casey? uuuuuuuuuu

A-Train

« Reply #1483 on: January 26, 2013, 02:03:36 PM »
If you forget about those things, you can enjoy (Django). bfbfbfbfbf

That caveat belongs with every Tarantino movie, yet almost every one is great. Few have combined the level of action you mention with such a high level of dialogue. I think you could listen-only to his movies and still enjoy them.

Pearl S. Buck

caley1313

• DH Allison, MBA, TESL
    • My Photo Gatherings
« Reply #1484 on: January 26, 2013, 02:41:23 PM »
]

The dialogue, drama and accurate portrayal of the time period are spot on.

Brings you back to your childhood eh Casey? uuuuuuuuuu

ooooooh, nasty little dig there. LOL