Movie/film thread: resurrected

• 2327 replies

Tai_Li

• The waiting game, like the mating game.
    • My Band's Website
Re: Movie/film thread: resurrected
« Reply #1305 on: June 20, 2010, 04:22:31 PM »
I just finished watching all of Firefly last night (showing a friend some of the better things produced by American culture).  Can't wait to see her reaction to Serenity.

Such good stuff, it's absolutely fantastic. I was so tickled having studied Chinese for about a year when I started watching it, by the Chinese curses they sprinkled through the show. It was hilarious to try them out in various situations. I watched the movie before the series, but when (insert spoiler that people who have seen the movie knows what I'm talking about) I literally was depressed for like three days, and didn't know why.

Anyway, shiny. Nice to see we have another Browncoat on board.
四是四
十是十
十四是十四
四十是四十

AMonk

« Reply #1306 on: June 20, 2010, 11:21:13 PM »
This past week, Hubby has been watching "Legends of Kung Fu" - 10 movies about....Kung Fu ahahahahah

Now he has started on the MacGyver series.  All 189 shows.  Can anyone say "marathon"? :wtf:
Moderation....in most things...

« Reply #1307 on: June 21, 2010, 08:38:43 PM »

mmmmmmmmmm  Browncoat?
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

« Reply #1308 on: June 21, 2010, 09:26:47 PM »
Amonk, I saw Boy in the Striped Pyjamas on the airplane flying back from Canada.  Not the best place to see that film, but certainly a good film.

« Reply #1309 on: June 21, 2010, 10:13:50 PM »

mmmmmmmmmm  Browncoat?

Browncoat, dear Devourer of Canines, is the name given to fans of Firefly, which I personally rank as one of the best shows ever, and also to characters in the show who fought on the losing side of the war. For instance, Captain Reynolds sports a knee-length brown coat.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #1310 on: June 21, 2010, 10:19:07 PM »
Not to be confused with 'Brownpants' which are much more common and can often be found in places that serve beer and street food.

George

• My view of China
« Reply #1311 on: June 21, 2010, 11:45:06 PM »
Nor to be confused with "Brown noses", who are very common and are usually found between the Boss' buttocks.
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

« Reply #1312 on: June 22, 2010, 03:40:07 AM »
Just watched Inglorious Basterds and loved it.

Ridiculous, bizarre and brilliant. Pure Jewish revenge fantasy.
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

Damballah

• Living in a self-delusional world!
« Reply #1313 on: June 22, 2010, 04:16:55 AM »
Just finished watching "The Hurt Locker' - with some DoD and rescue people - who picked up every single error in it.  Verdict - "unrealistic + war propaganda:  Avatar should have been given the awards."
"At your worst, at your best...who cares? They really aren't that much different anyway, and neither are particularly missed or wanted here anyway." - Marilyn Manson

« Reply #1314 on: June 23, 2010, 04:39:57 PM »
Watched Firefly and Serenity last week.  It is a pity Firefly only lasted a year.

But currently being mesmerized by Breaking Bad.  Finished Season 2 last night in a ten hour marathon.  Starting Season three today.

when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #1315 on: June 23, 2010, 08:31:29 PM »
where is a good place to stream chinese movies with english subs?

xwarrior

« Reply #1316 on: June 26, 2010, 09:07:37 PM »
I kind of liked Alice in Wonderland...especially the March Hare...

I also 'kind of liked' this movie. I always wondered why I never remembered is as a story I liked and this film gives the answer - to a kid it would be disturbing with quite a few weird and  mean people doing bad things.

I liked Alice!
I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #1317 on: June 26, 2010, 11:53:04 PM »
I finally got round to seeing The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus.  I love Terry Gilliam's work and really wanted to like this film. It's good (I thought Andrew Garfield and Verne Troyer were great), but it's missing something, for me it really does need Heath Ledger on the other side of the mirror.

It felt a bit dated for me. It definetely had some good bits, Tom Waits was awesome (but i'm a fan of everything he does....) but it was too much Terry Gilliam, there wasn't much of a story so the flights of fantasy just seemed a bit pointless

« Reply #1318 on: June 29, 2010, 06:53:39 PM »
Yeah, fidelity to a cohesive plot has never been Gilliam's strength.  Nonetheless, I consider anyting he even breathes on a must-see product.

Finally got my hands on Breaking Bad, and it's everything everyone said it is, except that I'd emphasize how ORIGINAL it is.  It doesn't remind me of anything in particular.

Tonight: Season 1 Disc 2- wait, Spain vs. Portugal!  bibibibibi

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

« Reply #1319 on: July 07, 2010, 07:35:08 PM »
Bought a Gen Y oriented show called The Loop. 

oooooooooo bqbqbqbqbq bqbqbqbqbq bqbqbqbqbq

'Nuff said?

englishmoose.com