Movie/film thread: resurrected

• 2327 replies
Re: Movie/film thread: resurrected
« Reply #210 on: July 01, 2007, 05:27:39 PM »
Up here we've got the same problem as you ConDog, it's a rare event to find English-language DVDs,

Heaps of English language DVDs of films up here.  It's just the lesser-known TV serieses, like the Wire or Deadwood, that are haRd to find.
It is too early to say.

« Reply #211 on: July 01, 2007, 07:59:42 PM »
Ratatouille - it was good but not great, I was smiling throughout the film but it didn't have the great laughs that some of the previous films did. 

I'm with you on Cars Moon, it felt like a slight mis-step and judging from Ratatouille I think Pixar clearly understands that.  I felt Cars was simply too long and it should have been trimmed and/or added some more "action" scenes.  Nemo is still my favorite Pixar film .

I hope Carell gets back on track also. 

The things we touch have no permanence.

AMonk

« Reply #212 on: July 01, 2007, 10:42:02 PM »
But would LOVE to find Black Books.

Just found (and ordered) Black Books (TV series) from Amazon.com.  There is also a 1949 film of the same name available....a "film-noir" [sic] which got mixed reviews from Amazon posters.
Moderation....in most things...

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #213 on: July 01, 2007, 10:57:10 PM »
Just found (and ordered) Black Books (TV series) from Amazon.com.

Can I pirate your copy? 

(OH, you paid REAL  aoaoaoaoao money for it ... no - don't worry about it!)  ahahahahah

AMonk

« Reply #214 on: July 01, 2007, 11:08:28 PM »
Just found (and ordered) Black Books (TV series) from Amazon.com.

Can I pirate your copy? 

OH, you paid REAL  aoaoaoaoao money for it ...

1.  You can pirate if you can reach this far.... qqqqqqqqqq

2.  No. Not REAL $$$$$....I used the plastic kind   afafafafaf
« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 11:10:05 PM by AMonk »
Moderation....in most things...

« Reply #215 on: July 02, 2007, 01:38:48 AM »
Starting to watch The Apprentice.  not what I expected- addicted.

oooooooooo Jonesing now in fact.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

« Reply #216 on: July 03, 2007, 11:01:49 PM »
Transformers - more than meets the eye!  Great film, the best thing I've seen this summer.  I noticed the crowd in the theater was really into it, moms were even cheering and clapping a few times.  Everyone applauded when it was over.  This one kicks Die Hard in the nads.  I was expecting a empty cgi-fest but Michael Bay proved he can make a good film.  I think he learned from his mistakes and misfires.  The comedy was not corny, in fact the visual comedy played really well.  He built a good story into the film without overdoing the drama aspect of it.  I'm going to see it again to see if it holds up to repeat viewings. 

moon over parma

« Reply #217 on: July 03, 2007, 11:34:10 PM »
Transformers - more than meets the eye!  Great film, the best thing I've seen this summer. 

How would you comapre it to ARMAGEDDON, quality-wise? I enjoyed ARMAGEDDON (it's the only Bay film I can say positive things about) and if TRANSFORMERS holds up to it I might invest a couple of hours in a matinee.

kcanuck

• Canadian Stop Sign
« Reply #218 on: July 04, 2007, 07:48:23 PM »
I've discovered a lot of good movies through this thread and I've seen many non-Hollywood  films based on the comments of our members. Contemporary Dog, in particular, has supplied lots of useful comments and Lotus Eater has offered many selections that I didn't even know existed. 
I am still learning. Michelangelo

« Reply #219 on: July 04, 2007, 08:50:01 PM »
I'd say Transformers tops Armageddon because Bay does not go for the heartstrings like he did in Armageddon.  The story is better but he still tends to barely flesh out supporting characters which is fine since this an action picture.  If you liked Bay's previous films you should enjoy this one.  I like Armageddon but felt The Rock was superior but maybe coz I love Connery on the screen. Hope this helps.

moon over parma

« Reply #220 on: July 04, 2007, 09:57:37 PM »
If you liked Bay's previous films you should enjoy this one.  I like Armageddon but felt The Rock was superior but maybe coz I love Connery on the screen. Hope this helps.

As long as I'm not getting BAD BOYS 1 or 2, THE ISLAND and PEARL HARBOR then I might check out TRANSFORMERS. I wasn't a fan of the cartoon, so I'm going on the Bay thing (and THE ROCK and ARMAGEDDON were fun, disposable action epics). Thanks for the specs.

« Reply #221 on: July 04, 2007, 10:42:47 PM »
Seraphim Falls - Liam Neeson and Pierce Brosnan

Post Civil War drama. Not earth shateringly great but a decent film.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 10:46:20 PM by Lone Traveller »
Courage is not the absense of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.

« Reply #222 on: July 04, 2007, 10:48:25 PM »
Seraphim Falls looks good, just waiting for it to come out here. No nice pirates here llllllllll llllllllll
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

« Reply #223 on: July 04, 2007, 10:56:13 PM »
Seraphim Falls looks good, just waiting for it to come out here. No nice pirates here llllllllll llllllllll

Having "nice pirates" is just one of the perks of living in China. ;D
Courage is not the absense of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.

moon over parma

« Reply #224 on: July 05, 2007, 06:08:04 AM »
I just finished viewing the Spanish film MURDER IN A BLUE WORLD, AKA CLOCKWORK TERROR. A very strange failure of a film, starring Chris Mitchum, Jean Sorel, and Sue Lyon (who starred in Kubrick's adaptation of LOLITA). It desperately wants to be A CLOCKWORK ORANGE and wears its adoration of Stanley Kubrick on its sleeve (casting Lyon, referencing A CLOCKWORK ORANGE - the movie - directly in the film, and having Lyon reading Vladimir Nabokov's LOLITA in another scene) and while there's a heady message going on in the background, it never fully connects. It has pre ROBOCOP-like faux television commercials (circa 1975) taking the piss out of consumerism of the time, a sadistic gang of young thugs who beat and rape and invade homes (featuring Chris Mitchum), and does focus on the same message of A CLOCKWORK ORANGE with a bizarre, role playing, Angel of Death Nurse (Lyon) who snuffs out young men thrown into the mix.