Movie/film thread: resurrected

• 2327 replies
Re: Movie/film thread: resurrected
« Reply #2220 on: April 29, 2018, 01:50:48 PM »
Coin Locker Girl - 차이나타운 - (2015)

Kim Go-Eun (from Guardian) is Il Young, a kid originally abandoned as a newborn infant in a subway coin locker, found and raised by beggars, then sold to "Mother" (Kim Hye-soo, Signal), a sociopathic people smuggler and organ harvester. In time she comes of age in the business. Korean family drama ensues.

Imperfect, but good.

bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 01:58:06 PM by Calach Pfeffer »
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #2221 on: May 01, 2018, 04:30:02 PM »
Downsizing (2017).  Get irreversibly shrunk down to 5 inches tall!  It's good for the environment and you can buy a fabulous mansion for a tiny price.

Since it was a movie, it just barely got started with some of the more interesting aspects of a situation like this - the potential political and economic frictions between the full sized and small humans.  In some ways, it would have been better to try to cover less ground than to just begin to touch on so many things.

Matt Damon needs to have his agent screen his contracts better.  Once Hong Chau's character showed up, she stole every scene from him.  ahahahahah
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #2222 on: May 05, 2018, 02:25:23 PM »
Black Panther (2018)

I found it shallow? And characters poorly fleshed out? And kept hearing odd pockets of hackneyed white expression - "This never gets old", "Now more than ever"? And - spoiler - for a technologically advanced society of plenty, the top level of Wakanda was way too quick to drop into civil war. Something weird going on with the story there, an unexpressed tension within the society that wasn't explored properly? Is it going to be weird to say my perspective isn't the right one?

#nopithyclosingcomment

bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf

I Am - Jorja Smith - Black Panther The Album

« Reply #2223 on: June 04, 2018, 02:38:28 AM »
Tomb Raider (2018)

so much suck

Run for your Life - K Flay

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #2224 on: June 04, 2018, 06:42:58 PM »
A Quiet Place (2018)

The only good thing I can say is that the actors tried their best to overcome a bad script built on a bad concept.

SPOILER ALERT - I can't rip this one to shreds without giving most of the story away.

The origin of the monsters isn't stated.  They may be aliens or might be a genetics experiment gone wrong.  Either way, anyone bright enough to take advantage of their "scary?" limitation of being blind and tracking exclusively by sound could easily deal with them.  Will Smith already dealt with bigger, scarier blind monsters in "After Earth" (Sadly, that movie shares the same big flaw - a monster that can't see you and which can be drawn in a predictable direction by a non-visual stimulus would be pathetically easy to trap or kill.)

1.  The family has a daughter who is only capable of hearing with a rather high end hearing aid which includes a bone conduction speaker (and and the new one her father makes far too conveniently messes with the monsters).  When being hunted by creatures listening for sounds, being proficient in sign language is a great advantage, but not enough without using some brains.

2.  The father seems skilled in electricity and electronics.  The farm they live on had lights, and separately wired red lights to warn of an emergency.  Oddly enough, the father who build all of this over a period of about 2 years wasn't smart enough to put in a few ropes to ring bells outside the house.  This means if one comes in, you've got to be super quiet and have no way to distract the beast to go hunting outside.

3.  A special crib/box with an oxygen mask is ready for an anticipated baby.  No one was bright enough to think of something as simple as a padded emergency box to hide in if one of the monsters entered the house.

4.  Blind monster who runs at incredible speeds towards any sound.  It also can't detect a quiet person standing right in front of it.  So, no significant echo location abilities and much of this is in the woods.  Funny that these things never run into trees.  Also, how hard to set up a bell suspended over the edge of a significant drop?  If no convenient cliffs are handy, any building more than a few floors high with even as little concrete as a parking space could be rigged with few remotely operated bells to lure one up the stairs out off the roof/out a window.

5.  Although these things are strong, I think a typical jail cell even the simple rolldown bars in some stores should be capable of containing them.  Oddly enough, there's no sign of our "heroic" survivor family or anyone else trying to trap or kill one.

6.  The family evidently makes outings to town for supplies.  With multiple children in tow, they have no fixed plan and allow the youngest boy to lag behind.  Let's just say that this pathetic lack of planning means there's one less child to worry about.

7.  The monsters have such good hearing that everyone goes barefoot, even when they are wearing knit caps.  There's some indication the mother can do needlework, plus there's a town.  How bloody hard is it to strap a few potholders on the bottom of shoes?  I guess it's even harder than noticing a bent over nail on a regularly used stairwell, just waiting to snag something so it can be pulled upright.  Naturally, only a human would step on the nail while a blind monster can go up and down the stairs all it likes without having any problems.

8.  Why doesn't everyone keep a few coins/marbles in a pocket?  Each could be separately wrapped in tissue paper or cloth to avoid any sound.  Having one to toss at the proper moment could be the difference between life and death.

9.  The father is standing within a few steps of a box of large tools, including a pitchfork.  He's got to draw the monster away or he's going to lose 2 more children.  Which of these is the stupidest choice?

A.  Stand firmly rooted to the spot and yell loudly.
B.  Step towards the tools while yelling.  Grab the pitchfork and at least see if you can inflict some damage as you die.
C.  Step towards the tools while yelling.  Grab the pitchfork and some non-useful item.  Stop yelling and throw the useless item to the side, preferably in front of anything which would be painful for a blind monster to slam in to.  Then decide whether it would be better to try to stab the creature in the back or to slink away very quietly.

Which does he chose?  Let's just say the fact he lived as long as he did while being so bad at making decisions is amazing.

10.  If the deaf daughter keeps cranking up the speakers (why would there be HUGE speakers on a radio when you don't want monsters to hear you?) to amplify the feedback her mutant hearing aid causes from the noises the monsters make, she's going to blow a circuit somewhere.  One way or the other, that lame attempt at a final heroic scene was going to end with a lot of human blood all over the floor.
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #2225 on: June 22, 2018, 01:24:59 PM »
Last Jedi, as we know, was maybe three different story ideas mashed only semi-coherently together, and a number of legacy characters... "developed" in a not-entirely-canon way. In particular, Leia Poppins. If you don't know who Princess Leia "Poppins" Organa is or how she got that way, then look away, because someone fixed that moment in the movie...

http://www.ign.com/videos/2018/06/07/star-wars-the-last-jedi-fixed-by-the-internet

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #2226 on: June 22, 2018, 04:52:06 PM »
Definitely a vast improvement! agagagagag
EscapedLunatic.com

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #2227 on: June 28, 2018, 05:40:31 PM »
Jurassic World 2 (2018)

After the first 4 Jurassic movies, you would think people would have learned to act sensibly around huge carnivores.  Then again, if they had, the movie wouldn't be as fun.

Like all the other Jurassic movies before it, the basic concept comes down to:  "Let's try to do something reasonably straightforward while not taking the safety precautions needed to avoid getting eaten."  This is followed by lots of running and screaming with assorted people getting eaten.

As usual, it's way too easy to tell up front which handful of people will miraculously survive no matter how many times they coat themselves in barbecue sauce and try to hurl themselves directly into the mouths of the dinosaurs.  Maybe we'll get lucky with Jurassic World 3 and they'll surprise us by having an apparently unkillable character get eaten half way through the film in some terribly unheroic way. ahahahahah
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #2228 on: July 07, 2018, 11:59:19 PM »
Ready Player One (2018)

In the absence of any nostalgic feeling for various kinds of computer gaming, this movie is entirely superficial. The acting is balls, the story doesn't make much sense, and the characters are nobody. But if you liked MMOs and can stand hunting for all the references, it'll probably be really fun. I don't get the nostalgia economy though so....

bqbqbqbqbq

« Reply #2229 on: July 08, 2018, 11:48:09 PM »
Also, I would like to point out, yes, films are filmed. Scored even. Written. Scenes are lit, maybe even lighted. But a movie is no more "lensed" than it is "cameraed". Cinematography is the art and science of motion-picture photography. Lensing is focusing light, They are not the same.

yyyyyyyyyy

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #2230 on: July 10, 2018, 05:38:00 AM »
The Darkest Hour (2017)

Covers Churchill becoming Prime Minister and almost getting tossed out at the moment when he's most needed.  Lucky for us he stayed in charge.  Otherwise, we'd all be teaching German.  ahahahahah
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #2231 on: July 30, 2018, 01:06:09 AM »
Operation Red Sea - 红海行动 - (2018)

Episodic, a little too familiar if you've ever played Call of Duty Modern Warfare, and really quite ludicrous by the end BUT HOT DAMN THE ACTION IS NUTZ AND EVERYONE GETS SHOT TO PIECES AND STILL WINNERS!!!!!

The story is plotted like a video game and the first twenty minutes is entirely disposable. Once past that hump though the action kicks in and KABLAM! BOSS FIGHTS, EXPLOSIONS, SEMBLANCES OF STORY, ENDLESS AMMO AND PEOPLE MOWN DOWN LIKE LEAVES!!! The heroes get chopped up from time to time too and my god the shouting! (The best one was "Calm down! I'm Chinese military!" You'll know it when you see it.)

And they finish the whole thing off with a call to war in the South China Sea, woohoo!

It's a bit dopey, like an 80s actioner without any Rambo. The middle part works though so woohoo boom boom, I guess. Cut off the first and last episode and you have yourselves a movie. With them in it's a patriotic video game. But you know ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf

« Reply #2232 on: August 03, 2018, 07:43:59 PM »
Avengers Infinity War (2018)

Eh, I'm not feeling it anymore. The movie does a good job of squeezing most all the extant weirdos of the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) into one story, but you know it's not by itself one story and the MCU is kind of an I Ching divination anyway - each movie is one shoulder bone tossed on some supposedly larger board to tell some larger story except no one can see it all and you need someone to make up an interpretation...  In my humble estimation, it's only the Guardians of the Galaxy movies that work as movies.

Well anyway, AIW is not bad as a part 1.

bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #2233 on: August 06, 2018, 07:11:18 PM »
Had a Screamfest at my place.  Scream, Scream 2, and Scream 3 all in a row.

Silly, campy, stupid, but fun. agagagagag
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #2234 on: August 13, 2018, 01:07:52 PM »
Has anyone seen "Mission Impossible-Fallout" starring Tom Cruise? If you did, what did you think of it?