• Home
  • Search
    •  
  • Login
    • Username: Password:

Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Movie/film thread: resurrected  (Read 296042 times)

Calach Pfeffer

• Barfly
Re: Movie/film thread: resurrected
« Reply #2115 on: April 10, 2017, 11:57:11 AM »
Ghost in the Shell (Kōkaku Kidōtai) (1995)

Alarmingly meditative. Has guns.

bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf

M1 (Making of Cyborg) - Kenji Kawai
Sniffing garbage...

cruisemonkey

• Barfly
  • You could be next.
« Reply #2116 on: April 11, 2017, 09:41:18 AM »
I thought The Discovery was "meh"... a waste of 143 minutes. I hope in my 'after life' it is never made.  kkkkkkkkkk  ahahahahah
The Koreans once gave me five minutes notice - I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

cruisemonkey

• Barfly
  • You could be next.
« Reply #2117 on: April 15, 2017, 10:03:01 PM »
La La Land (2016)

You probably know this already but...

A musical 'love story' filmed on 35mm film in Cinemascope, it's meant to be evocative of 1950s 'feel good' escapist entertainment; and it works... sort of.

Some great song & dance numbers with amazing production values, a saturated colour palate and the fact all the music is real (the entire score is people actually playing musical instruments) do not make up its shortcomings:
- it's a musical with no great/memorable song(s)
- the lovers never really 'click' (perhaps on purpose)
- the ending sucks!

Is it a love story... or a tragedy... or a tragic love story? Its none of these. The lovers give up each other to follow their dreams; so it's not a love story. However, they do get what they want; so it's not a tragedy. And, they don't die together; so it's not Romeo and Juliet.

The thing that makes 'feel good' escapist entertainment work is, in the end, love conquers all. The ending of La la Land leaves the viewer feeling hollow, disappointed and 'ripped off'. The characters get what they want... but the viewer doesn't.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 10:18:56 PM by cruisemonkey »
The Koreans once gave me five minutes notice - I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

Calach Pfeffer

• Barfly
« Reply #2118 on: April 17, 2017, 09:22:53 AM »
Robot Wars (2016)

To be confused with neither the Robot Wars tv show (wherein real production teams make robots and make them fight) nor the 1993 "cyberpunk" Robot Wars movie wherein who even knows what happens, this Robot Wars is a "found footage" reconstruction of the corporate heist gone wrong of a SHINY AND POWERFUL MACGUFFIN! Featuring a FPS video game aesthetic and lots of Shaky Cam with annoying HUD overlay from ocular implants, this movie is actually not bad. Worse acting than the Blair Witch Project, but better story telling. The movie would be better called Kill Box or Sprawl Heist or SHINY AND POWERFUL MUCGUFFIN KILLS ALL! since there is just the one robot, and it has next to no role in anything that happens. but hey. Robots.

bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf
Sniffing garbage...