PLEASE WATCH THIS SPACE FOR UPDATES!
The purpose of this forum is to provide community and information for people around the world, with an orientation toward living and working in China. Membership here is pretty open, but is a PRIVILEGE, not a RIGHT.DA RULES
1. Be nice to the other kids. Try your best to get along with them. Be respectful of all the other members even if you don't particularly like them. Think about peoples' feelings. Exercise some self-restraint in your posting. Some folks thrive on conflict and antagonism; if we cannot gently dissuade you from this path while you are here we will eventually terminate your ability to participate in our forum, and we will point you to the forums at Dave's ESL Cafe (http://www.eslcafe.com
) where they just wallow in that kind of stuff.
2. Be nice to the other kids. Try your best to get along with them. Be respectful of all the other members even if you don't particularly like them. Think about peoples' feelings. Exercise some self-restraint in your posting. Some folks thrive on conflict and antagonism; if we cannot gently dissuade you from this path while you are here we will eventually terminate your ability to participate in our forum, and we will point you to the forums at Dave's ESL Cafe (http://www.eslcafe.com
) where they just wallow in that kind of stuff.
3. Trolling (coming onto a forum for the express purpose of being disruptive and raising hell) is the fastest, surest way to a lifetime ban from this forum. Unlike other places, our management is participatory and proactive, and we will shut your idiot ugly pathetic ass down in a heartbeat.
4. Commercial activity, other than the limited contexts of our Job Listings and Classifieds boards, is absolutely forbidden and will be deleted immediately. This includes unsolicited job recruiting, and applies to PMs as well as posts.
5. Religious proselytizing of any kind is strictly prohibited. You can discuss religion (gently) if you must, and you can talk about it by PM if all parties are willing, but absolutely no recruiting.
6. If you are with the F***n G**g, go away. You're not welcome here. We don't like you.
7. Any activity that could run this forum afoul of the Chinese authorities is subject to immediate removal, and could result in corrective action with regards to the person posting it.
8. Hate speech toward groups such as racial groups, holders of religious beliefs, nationalities, and so on, is not recognized here as legitimate opinion and will not be tolerated. It is recommended that you be extremely careful in categorizing groups of people in a negative light while within this public forum.
9. It is strongly requested that you avoid topics, such as religion, military service, and so on, that evoke strong personal feelings and lend themselves to angry debate or worse. DO state your mind in a civil manner, but please think carefully about what you write here.
10. Personal attacks, bashing, flame wars, etc. are not tolerated here. If you have an issue this serious with another member, do NOT go on the attack yourself. Contact forum management immediately
and get a referee.
11. If a topic is locked by forum management, it is to be considered LOCKED
. Attempts to go around an administrative lock by simply starting a new thread are a) prohibited, b) unappreciated, and c) subject to fast deletion.
12. The posting of pornographic content (graphic depictions of sexual acts, salacious nudity, etc.) is prohibited here.
13. Revealing personal details (name, address, phone, e-mail, employer, etc.) of any member without their express permission is prohibited.
14. It is expected that the stated posting guidelines for boards will be followed- on-topic boards stay on-topic, etc.
15. Post-padding...well, I don't want to use the word "prohibited" again here. But it certainly does suck. It might be fun for you, but it drives others off the board. This is bad. If post-padding becomes a problem, we will turn off the thingie that displays post counts and stop the madness once and for all.
16. Posting Links: a) Please don't post "naked" links...links to other sites without even an explanation. While some info on other sites is indeed useful and interesting, we want to emphasize our own
content, not other people's. b) Please don't post anything advertising websites that compete with The Saloon. We work hard to get people on our own
site; please don't undercut us by pointing them right off to some other site.
17. Solicitation of Donations: While we sympathize with people in difficult situations, we are not a public charity or financial-support group, and prohibit direct solicitations of money donations. Such solicitations constitute an abuse of our members. In cases where fund-raising might be appropriate, the cases must be brought to an Admin for consideration. Only Admins can post such an appeal. IN THE EVENT OF A FORUM BEHAVIOR PROBLEM:
- Our first weapon of choice, given half a chance, is dialogue. We'd all much rather just talk it out, right?
- Posts and threads are subject to edition/deletion/locking at the discretion of management if they constitute serious breaches of the above rules, especially if dialogue fails. Nobody likes these means, but they can be used here if we must.
- Members who go on rampages or present other serious threats to the peace of this forum, and/or who refuse to engage in dialogue with forum management, are subject to having their membership account inactivated. If something can be worked out peacefully, the account can be reactivated pending further problems.
- Members who engage in gross violations of the forum and its rules can and likely will be banned from the forum. Their membership will be terminated, names/addresses/IP addresses blocked, their every post may be expunged from the forum, and their barstool will be torn off the floor and burned and the earth beneath it plowed with rocksalt. If we have to go this far with you, you will be welcome to apply for membership again in future lives. Please don't make us do this.
If you have a question or issue relating to these rules, you are welcome to discuss them with Raoul via PM or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org