Apple idiot needs help

• 40 replies

icebear

• ????
Re: Apple idiot needs help
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2008, 03:39:46 AM »
re: browsers
I've been using Safari for a few days and am really liking it this time around. Did it have tabs before? Anyway, once I found SafariStand I was sold. Although I still haven't found a replacement WYSIWYG html editor, but I only use that every week or two so Firefox will work for now. Safari feels significantly faster.

re: power adaptors
I've always used one since getting to China. Presumably fake power strips with surge protection cost under 20元 at Wal-Mart... genuine  ones seem to remain in the 50-100元 range. Comparing this price to the cost of a new laptop, and keeping in mind the endemic shoddy wiring in much of China, it seems foolish to chance it. Remember, you don't have to lug that strip around or always break it out - run off your battery while in a cafe to avoid looking like a dork  ahahahahah

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2008, 04:48:41 AM »
Same topic but a bit of a swerve...

Your mentioning getting a genuine ac adaptor cord for your mac reminds me that I'm running my powerbook through a cheap travel adaptor. It lets me plug it in to the wall, but there's no grounding. I've been slowly getting more comfortable with it (i.e. letting it be plugged in for longer and longer) but do you think I should be much concerned and remedy this? I haven't been to a city sophisticated enough to have an apple store yet ;)

what kind of cheap travel adaptor?
anyways, and I could be wrong, as far as grounding goes, just get one of those "power bars" from the closest electronic/computer shop. The good ones with proper grounding will run you about 100 RMB and solve all your grounding problems.

Quote from: icebear
re: browsers
I've been using Safari for a few days and am really liking it this time around. Did it have tabs before? Anyway, once I found SafariStand I was sold. Although I still haven't found a replacement WYSIWYG html editor, but I only use that every week or two so Firefox will work for now. Safari feels significantly faster.

As far as I remember, safari has had tabs for over 2 years... I can't seem to remember a time when it did not have them. For a WYSIWYG HTML editor, try  NVU or good old seamonkey. They should do the trick

alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2008, 05:26:39 AM »
Bump.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2008, 06:09:16 AM »
Bump.
That's a strange expression, Bruce... mmmmmmmmmm
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2008, 06:14:25 AM »
Sorry, moving this thread up to the front page so I could find it easily.

Abiword works! axaxaxaxax I'm write-capable again.  gggggggggg

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2008, 02:08:27 PM »
Report: 400,000 unlocked iPhones loose on Chinese network

Nearly half of the 800,000 to 1 million iPhones that are believed to have been unlocked for distribution and use outside Apple's sanctioned networks may be in China, according to a new report.

Market research firm In-Stat reported Friday that China Mobile, the nation's largest wireless carrier, said there were 400,000 unlocked iPhones using its cellular network service at the end of 2007, representing approximately 10 percent of the touchscreen handsets sold at the the time.

"The figure surprised us as it is fourfold of that we estimated before," the firm said. "We have never doubted that the iPhone will achieve greater success than iPod in China if Apple teams with China Mobile to launch its Chinese version."

The surge is credited to a fundamental difference between American and Chinese buyers. Where most US buyers confine smartphone purchases to the workplace, Chinese customers often use their phones for entertainment or Internet access, such as playing music or e-books. Apple's focus on this last usage pattern for the iPhone, especially with its user interface, makes it a logical fit for the market.

Chinese are also more likely to spend larger amounts of money on their phones, In-Stat says, despite lower average incomes. A full fifth of all phones sold in the southeast Asian country cost at least 4,000 Yuan Renminbi each, or $533.

Separate reports in recent days have pointed to China as the heart of a thriving gray market economy in unlocked iPhones. With as many as one million of these devices on the market around the world, the country is potentially a hotbed of supply chain leaks that sees iPhones reach unofficial hands before ever reaching territories officially slated to receive the shipments.

Analysts have wrestled with tracking the missing devices themselves and, in one case, estimated that the number of iPhones in use outside of Apple's official bounds could total 1.5 million, or more than a third of the entire supply as of last month.

In the short term, however, Apple is unlikely to convert this semi-underground trade into legitimate business. China Mobile, the dominant carrier in the country, claimed to have ended talks regarding an official iPhone in January. Company chief Steve Jobs later contradicted these claims and said that the provider had only made one visit to Apple headquarters to discuss the possibility of a Chinese iPhone.

So, Do you know anyone with one?

icebear

• ????
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2008, 05:22:41 PM »
No, but I see them daily on the subway in Beijing. The first time I was a bit surprised, since then its just normal. They're pushed pretty hard at the Silk Market.

I have a iPod Touch and its pretty... pretty. Really good toy, definitely a favorite. If I had the money or the resolve that I'd definitely be in China for years I'd get a iPhone, but I'm not will to shell out that much on a phone which probably won't work back home or in Europe or in many other places I'll end up moving eventually.

Acjade

« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2008, 11:33:34 PM »
I do. Yes. One person.

« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2008, 01:22:29 AM »
Right now, here in the Bookworm, reading this, I am erect.  ME WANT iPHONE!!!!  bzbzbzbzbz

How much are they?

englishmoose.com

AMonk

« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2008, 01:29:27 AM »
Right now, here in the Bookworm, reading this, I am erect.

W T M I!!!
Moderation....in most things...

George

• My view of China
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2008, 01:37:35 AM »
Means he's standing up. Couldn't find a seat!! bibibibibi
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/