Changzhou Institute of Mechatronic Technology

• 9 replies

Mimi

Changzhou Institute of Mechatronic Technology
« on: May 01, 2007, 08:21:05 PM »
I know I posted about it before, but I wanted to put it out there again.  I've accepted the job offer, but the contacts they gave me of current teachers either don't work or they don't want to respond to me.  I think there were a few board members who at least lived in Changzhou, so any other info you could give me would help.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
Re: Changzhou Institute of Mechatronic Technology
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 09:43:15 PM »
Eagle, don't you live in Changzhou? And aren't you at least partly mechatronic?  uuuuuuuuuu
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

babala

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 09:55:34 PM »
Hey Mimi. I still know quite a few people there. If you want to PM me the names of the teachers they gave you, it's quite possible I know them or know someone who does. It's too bad I just left, could have took you out for a drink agagagagag
Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. Homer Simpson

babala

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 02:33:25 AM »
Mimi,
     I got to thinking the other day about this school. A friend of mine applied to work at a college in Changzhou. I can't remember if this was the school's name or not but it turned out that it wasn't a college, it was Canilx training centre. Canilx went bankrupt in Shanghai but there are still a few centres floating around. The salary and shared housing for this position is not good at all. Did the school mention teaching hours? If there is 25, then look out, that's not a college.
Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. Homer Simpson

Eagle

• Through a Jungian Lens
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 02:34:56 PM »
Hi Mimi - I am in ChangZhou, at a different Institute of Technology, in the north end of the city.  The Mechatronic school is in the south, in Wujin District.  If I am not mistaken, it is located in University City, a grouping of seven different universities.  I have met people from the Mechatronic Institute and they don't have much to say either positive or negative.  For the most part, the one's that I met are young and here for usually only one term (1/2 a school year).  I will check around and see if I can find one who might give you more info.  Don't hesitate to ask me about ChangZhou though.  I've been here a year and will stay here at least another year because it is a relatively good place to be.  A bonus is its location, not to far from SuZhou, ShangHai, NanJing and HangZhou.  It has good choices for people wanting "western" foods and the choices are only going to get better in short order.  It isn't much of a cultural centre though it does have enough for a home base.  And the people?  Well, I have a good amount of both local Chinese friends and expats.  One thing one must be clear about - this is China an alternate universe from the USA and Canada.  Don't assume anything, even crossing the street on a green pedestrian light is an iffy proposition.  Keep eyes wide open and enjoy.  Vive la difference!
“… whatever reality may be, it will to some extent be shaped by the lens
through which we see it.” (James Hollis)

babala

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 05:02:49 PM »
I'm glad to hear that this school is not the training centre I worried it was. It's something you have to watch out for though. The girl I knew came thinking she was going to teach college. The training centre advertised under the name of a college.

Mimi

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 08:03:31 PM »
Since I posted, I've been in contact with a current teacher at the school.  He has nice things to say, and I've seen his personal pictures of the apartment and school.  It doesn't seem like the type of job someone with years and years of experience and advanced education in teaching would enjoy, but I think I'll be just fine.  I'm really excited now :) Only a few more months.

babala - I was actually more impressed with this school than with others simply because they didn't promise me much.  4000 a month, an apartment that was described as "not that new," and I would be responsible for actually teaching, not just going through a boring textbook.  And, considering I don't have a teaching degree and I'm young, I wouldn't expect much more. It was refreshing after being promised the world time and time again.

babala

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2007, 08:09:08 PM »
Glad to hear it. With the pay listed, it's definately not the Canilx. I hope you will enjoy Changzhou.

babala

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2007, 12:53:00 AM »
Mimi, I just saw on facebook that the teacher's name that you gave me has started a group on Facebook. It's called Foreign Teachers in Changzhou/Jiangsu. You may want to join it.

Eagle

• Through a Jungian Lens
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2007, 03:16:11 AM »
Yes, I know this young man at the mechtronic institute.  I am Robert senior and he is Robert junior.  We are both from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.  We attended the mayor's annual New Year's dinner where we sang our national anthem (the missus, R. sr (eagle) and R. jr.  No, he isn't my real son though he is a year younger than my son.  Hop on over to the facebook group page and get to know some of the others in ChangZhou who are also in the group. 
“… whatever reality may be, it will to some extent be shaped by the lens
through which we see it.” (James Hollis)