Mac question

• 5 replies
Mac question
« on: November 09, 2007, 07:14:46 PM »
How does one erase and change a username and password on an iBook?  I don't who put the present one on mine, spuat, the Chinese police, the service desk in Calgary, me while having a blackout, or the apple gnomes, but I can't use my damn laptop.

This and a working AC adaptor power cord and I can finally use the thing. asasasasas
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
Re: Mac question
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 07:20:30 PM »
Con, you need a mac install CD to reset the password

put the CD in, start the computer from it and use what's called "password utility" to reset it.
In case you don't have the CD, I can send you one down with bugalugs if she comes up on the 14th
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 07:21:07 PM »
If you have a bootable CD or floppy that lets you get in as superuser (shell prompt "#" instead of $ or %), or if you can remove your drive and hook it into another mac, then the rest is straightforward. Mount the drive, edit its /etc/passwd file to set the root password there to an empty string, unmount it. Boot from it and set a new password.
Who put a stop payment on my reality check?

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2007, 01:14:14 AM »
 bibibibibi
pashley, it's Con we're talking about....  ahahahahah
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 04:29:51 AM »
Shell prompt?  Whew, I'm exhausted.

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 01:23:14 PM »
If you get the disk and cannot do it with the user-friendly utility software, I can do it from the shell prompt next time I'm in Suzhou. But only if there's a way to get to that prompt; I don't know Macs well enough to know that.
Who put a stop payment on my reality check?

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 02:14:06 AM »
I was kidding- I know what a shell prompt is... just not how to get to it, either.  I'll get a power adaptor ASAP and report back.

...althouigh the last one I bought was a fake that didn't work. asasasasas

englishmoose.com