Is it taking away our civil liberty or not????

• 38 replies

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
Re: Is it taking away our civil liberty or not????
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2007, 03:50:19 AM »
Interestengly enough, it has been argued (not by me) by some economists that smokers actually sav the government money by dying younger so the gov does not have to pay out the retirement benifits thus keeping the countries old age security viable longer. So the increased expenditures in Health are offset by the savings in pensions. I wish I could remember who it was that wrote those papers. I could use that argument myself whenever someone digs at me when I light up.

Saw a complete refutation of this. It's a straw man. It's on a skeptic website, but have to be a member.

I can't recall the whole thing, but something like that they use up the extra saved off aged pensions by extra medical and hospital care on medical pensions. They retire earlier from ill health, and thus, contribute less, leaving more widows and kids on social security. Something like that. Anyway, it's spurious.
Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.

woza

« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2007, 04:24:59 AM »
My ex- husband would quote stats at me, he actually made them up.  In those days I thought you can't argue with stats.  I have started doing that myself make up bullshit stats for something really silly, a party thing
I am still hoping that science will allow me to grow another set of lungs. Just not the smoking thing, but the polluted atmosphere.  A bit like having a breast implant or putting a ship in a bottle type of thing.  Tubes to be attached mainsails to be hoisted.

AMonk

« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2007, 05:46:52 AM »
On the topic of DisHonesty.......There are Lies. bbbbbbbbbb  There are Damned Lies qqqqqqqqqq....and there are Statistics!!!! asasasasas asasasasas llllllllll llllllllll
Moderation....in most things...

« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2007, 04:30:04 AM »
Wonder why the Tobacco lawyers didn't go after the ones who really profited from nicitine addiction, disease and death - the tax collecting government.

Between tobacco and alcohol, the govt. is the biggest death merchant of all time.

They profit every which way but loose, on production, on sale and on enforcement. Sweet deal.

AMonk

« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2007, 05:16:50 AM »
Wonder why the Tobacco lawyers didn't go after ........ the tax collecting government.

Because there is some strange, legal protection involved.  You may NOT sue "the Govmint" for damages.  llllllllll Big Business, Yes.  bfbfbfbfbf Your neighbour, Yes.  bfbfbfbfbf But your Government, No. asasasasas

p.s. Nice first Posting, Authur!! agagagagag
Moderation....in most things...

« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2007, 07:37:11 PM »
Nicotine will always be with us, until they invent something that does the same thing without harm.  Ditto for alcohol and most drugs.  Why?  We like doing them. They temporarily change us into slightly different versions of ourselves.  We drink to be rowdy and silly; we light a smoke to relax; we smoke a jay to get mellow and contemplative; we take E to get loving and happy.

These things make our lives better, and for all the health problems and bad behaviour they inspire, our collective acts demonstrate that's it's worth it.

Death merchants?  One could extend that logic to condemn Cadbury and Hershey.  Life merchants, I say.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

teleplayer

• Ni you hen duo xiao qian. Gei wo yidian(r)!
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2007, 12:54:42 PM »
.....    We drink to be rowdy and silly; we light a smoke to relax; we smoke a jay to get mellow and contemplative; we take E to get loving and happy.

These things make our lives better, and for all the health problems and bad behaviour they inspire, our collective acts demonstrate that's it's worth it.

"Better living through chemistry," eh?

The phrase "Better Living Through Chemistry" is a variant of a DuPont advertising slogan, "Better Things for Better Living...Through Chemistry." DuPont adopted it in 1935 and was their slogan until 1982 when the "Through Chemistry" bit was dropped; in 1999 it was replaced by "The miracles of science".

« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2007, 04:01:13 AM »

"Better living through chemistry," eh?

agagagagag

Man, size 6 font is hard to read!
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

Bugalugs

• If we are what we eat, I'm easy, fast, and cheap.
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2007, 04:28:25 AM »
I can read it perfectly fine :P
Good girls are made from sugar and spice, I am made from Vodka and ice

Do you have and ID Ten T error??