I've found a really useful site; blogged by my bff's neighbour, Carroll Pellegrinellihttp://baking.about.com/b/
She has about 3 or 4 new baking recipes/tips each week. I like it best when she has her "from scratch" stuff, as I prefer to do my own baking...and to make modifications (like using Splenda* instead of sugar) to suit my tastes and lifestyle.
This is one recipe that I found on this site and tried out. WARNING - it may become addictive !! SPICY GINGER PEAR BREAD
2 cups Flour
1/2 cup toasted Wheat Germ
/ground Flax Seed
1/2 cup (packed) Brown Sugar
1 Tbs Baking Powder
1.1/4 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp ground Ginger
1/2 cup chopped Crystallized Ginger
2 cups chopped Pears
= +/- 2 pears (tinned or fresh)
1/3 cup Vegetable Oil
8 oz (= 1 cup)Sour Cream
1/4 cup Pear Juice
(easier to get if you use tinned pears)
1. Preheat oven to 350*F. Grease one 4.1/2 x 8.1/2 inch loaf pan.
2. In large bowl, Combine first 6 dry ingredients with wire whisk. Hand stir in chopped ginger and pears. Set aside.
3. In smaller bowl, Combine wet ingredients - eggs, oil, sour cream, pear juice.
4. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Mix until moistened.
5. Pour into prepared pan.
6. Bake for 45 minutes.
7. Place piece of foil over top of bread, and continue to bake another 15 minutes (may need more, depending on oven). Test for "doneness" with toothpick.
8. Cool in pan, on wire rack for 15 minutes.
9. Turn out onto wire rack to finish cooling.
When completely cool, wrap in plastic wrap, then in foil. Set aside to eat next day.
*Note* We couldn't wait that long. Spread with butter....Yummmmm.
But it was even better next day