Global web tightens around accused pedophile

• 36 replies
Global web tightens around accused pedophile
« on: October 18, 2007, 03:05:21 AM »
There may be aother thread on the subject of Chris Neil, known on the greasy spoon as Peter Jackson. Anyway, here's the latest update from the Toronto Star.
http://www.thestar.com/News/World/article/267707
It's embarrassing that he's a Canuck, but I guess there are bad apples in every barrel. (Should I be making the presumption of innocence here? Pretty difficult.)

James McIntosh, executive director of International Justice Mission, Canada, which was instrumental in Mr. Bakker's conviction, said he welcomed the increased police tracking of pedophiles abroad.

“Of all the things Canada can export, like hockey players or famous musicians, to see Canadians go over to exploit little children is truly heartbreaking,” he said.

Get out the trebuchet! Send him back to Canada, get him incarcerated and let him receive some jailhouse justice!  asasasasas
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 03:11:54 AM by jwbhomer »

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
Re: Global web tightens around accused pedophile
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 03:14:34 AM »
Given the dodginess of the photo, an awful lot of fellas out there may be targeted. Perhaps even one or two of our own honourable members.

I am for the presumption of innocence until proven guilty - as humans we are way too keen to lynch.  And unless we have clear and incontrovertible proof I don't think that the articles should have been published. Have a look at the stuff around the West Memphis 3.

I am also clear that incarceration is appropriate for sex offenders.  Permanent is fine, but rehabilitation is preferred.

Acjade

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 03:29:23 AM »
I think that it's totally clear that none of our male members subcribe to a sexual pedlication for boys. Which cannot be said of the females.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 03:39:12 AM »
WOW - which (and how many?  'females' implies more than one) of our female members have been abusing under-the-age-of-consent boys??  I think all of the women on this board would be most upset at that accusation.

I did not at any time state that our members would be involved in this activity!  BUT I did point out that the photo was poor enough that any number of innocent males who happened to bear a superficial resemblance (including some of our hirsutely challenged men) could now be a target.  This is an anathema to me.  The innocent should not be attacked because of poor reporting.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 03:53:51 AM by Lotus Eater »

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 03:48:52 AM »
LE, I agree with you completely.  A poor picture makes a thousand faulty accusations.

None of the ladies on this site have implied any interest in underage young men. 
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 03:55:05 AM »
Ack, AJ, where does it come from?  aoaoaoaoao

I'll second LE - just cause someone told someone and that someone told to another doesnt make a person "something". But then again... even some real criminals escape justice and walk away from punishment...

woza

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 04:53:54 AM »
AJ I don't think the problem is with your glasses when you read LE's posts.
I read an article on this guy in the Age online and they showed another photo of him taken at a Thai airport, looks like 2 different people.

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 05:21:20 AM »
I just realized how popular this will make the spoon.
Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2007, 08:30:22 AM »
Glad my country's starting to chase these criminals, and that Asia's not the pervert haven it used to be. 

...well, at least it's drifting that way.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

George

• My view of China
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2007, 10:35:26 AM »
I think that it's totally clear that none of our male members subcribe to a sexual pedlication for boys. Which cannot be said of the females.
I think some of the ladies need reading glasses! This was a joke, girls. There is NO mention of UNDER-AGE here!!
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

Eagle

• Through a Jungian Lens
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2007, 12:57:41 PM »
George, thank goodness I wasn't the only one to think it was a joke.  A good one at that, I might add.  Our "ladies" are not dowdy old Victorians, theys got some "life" and "passion" in them for us "boys".
“… whatever reality may be, it will to some extent be shaped by the lens
through which we see it.” (James Hollis)

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2007, 01:12:23 PM »
The trouble with paedophilia, like racism, is that it isn't a suitable subject for jokes, Michael Jackson aside.

I too would like the guilty party caught. That said, there is something higher involved here.

I also would like to think that people get a chance at justice, guilty or not. Trying people online sucks, especially when it's 'official'.

What happens if he is not guilty? He will be forever known as a paedophile anyway. What happens if he is guilty? He will not be able to get an unbiased jury. The trial will be a farce, and a decent lawyer would get him off, or at least a retrial, then another, until they can't try him. (I assume Canadian law is similar to other countries in this)

Remember Hurricane Carter.

Where is the justice?
Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.

Acjade

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2007, 01:49:13 PM »
My punning is atrocious.  cbcbcbcbcb cbcbcbcbcb cbcbcbcbcb

Sorry to anyone who was offended by my dismal abilty to bring some light heartedness to a subject which has touched me personally. I have scars that burn sometimes.

But once again, my apologies to any who took offence at my remarks.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2007, 03:22:47 PM »
My bad!!   bibibibibi  Sorry I took it the wrong way. ayayayayay
I just couldn't see how you made the leap from a pedophile abusing under age non-consenting boys to the ladies of this forum and their wonderful men.  So - this means we are agreed that there are no men or women on this forum with homosexual interests? ahahahahah  The men ALL have a sexual predilection for girls (over the age of consent of course!!), and the women for over-the-age-of-consent boys?  cheexyblonde  Given the general stats on the prevalence of homosexuality across the world, I think that is a pretty sweeping statement to make.  I have no data on this forum membership. But I would also hate to think that we were so phobic/intolerant that gays and lesbians were not welcome here.

I will go get my funny bone checked immediately!  It seriously led me astray this time. amamamamam

P.S. If I figure I can be misunderstood as to intent - I will try to remember to use the smilies.  That way people don't usually misread me.  We've had this problem before.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 03:52:53 PM by Lotus Eater »

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2007, 03:26:35 PM »
When you consider how one of the pictures was "created" -- unscrambling a blurred internet image -- a case of mistaken identity IS a distinct possibility. However, the individual who was named and shamed did himself no favour by doing a midnight flit from his employment in South Korea and heading for parts unknown. Lots of judges and juries would view that as tantamount to an admission of guilt.

Getting back to the identity question, the Thai police seem to consider that they have enough to apply for a national arrest warrant. They have a copy of the man's passport, including photo, too.