New laptops

• 36 replies

Eagle

• Through a Jungian Lens
Re: New laptops
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2007, 06:43:36 PM »
My Vaio has a built in web cam and mic, a necessity since we are on Skype at least every second day, often several days in a row.  We try to be good parents and grandparents in terms of keeping in touch.  For me, the big deal was the weight between the HP and the Sony.  This model is definitely lighter.  I have all the drivers for my Camera (Sony), Sony Walkman mp3 player and accessories (logitech USB speakers and HP printer and MS wireless mouse).  And, I have built in memory card slots for ease of downloading photos.  Software wise, Photoshop CS2, Photoshop Elements, Adobe Premiere Elements.  Just a side note, the missus has an indentical laptop as we both need to do our own things with computers - especially play online bridge in evenings when things get to be quiet.
“… whatever reality may be, it will to some extent be shaped by the lens
through which we see it.” (James Hollis)

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2007, 07:17:36 PM »
IMHO as a 17 year IT professional -

HP, Sony, and Compaq laptops are not good. The units are generally underpowered, heavy, and unreliable in my experience in a corporate environment and for consumers. Re - I've fixed more of these brands for friends than any other.

I'd go with the Hasse or a spankin new Lenovo (which are IBM Thinkpads) if you want to "buy Chinese".  Otherwise Toshiba, IBM, and Acer are currently putting out great units.

Secondly - DO NOT BUY VISTA.  The reasons are too many to list, not to mention it's hella slow.  Go with XP SP2 if you are Windows person.  For the more adventurous the new Dell Ubuntu Linux powered laptops are great, I would get one but I'm in love with my Toshiba still after 2 years.  I currently dual-boot XP and Ubuntu Linux.

I second the jump to OpenOffice, I find myself more productive (I'm an aspiring sci-fi/fantasy/wuxia writer) using it and I love the lack of auto-format, which Word forces on me. It still has some bugs but IBM just donated a bunch of source code to them and ponied up some coin for them so it's future looks very bright.

All this and I'm a Microsoft Certified System Engineer, Gates and Ballmer would strip my creds if they found out I push MS alternatives!!
The things we touch have no permanence.

George

• My view of China
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2007, 07:32:50 PM »
Vista is indeed BLOODY slow. I want to replace it on my laptop, but I'll wait till I find someone to do it for me.
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2007, 08:22:15 PM »
Having been in the computer business for 22 years as a paid professional with experience in more types of hardware and software than you could ever  aaaaaaaaaa  , I bought a Benq laptop for the primary reason that it's white and looks cool. Oooooh white. Sexy.

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2007, 11:19:15 PM »
I bought a Benq laptop for the primary reason that it's white and looks cool. Oooooh white. Sexy.

I would expect nothing less from a fellow IT geek!

But for me my Toshiba's blue and steel finish is where it's at!

We should hoist a beer together someday!  jjjjjjjjjj
The things we touch have no permanence.

Eagle

• Through a Jungian Lens
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2007, 12:53:24 AM »
As an IT non-professional, I have loved my HP, Compaq, Dell, Thinkpad and now Sony laptops over the years.  Some of them were workplace provided, others I bought.  I have been lucky and have only had one crash (the Compaq) during all of these years and models.  I change my laptop because I can and I donate my old laptop to grandkids or others.  Nuances are lost on me.  Thanks for the advice, but I've already paid for my laptop and software and I am enjoying them as much as a non-professional can enjoy technology. LOL!  agagagagag

Acjade

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2007, 01:22:59 AM »
Nor me.

I am ashamed to say. But my vote never made a bugger's difference at a School fete.

I see politics as a you and them game in Australia. Unfortunately. Divide and rule. Isn't there someone who can overcome our Macheiveilian political structure?

Glad Little Johnie's going. What an ego that man has. To prostitute himself to GWBush like a bitch on heat.

Kevin Rudd? We can only trust in the man.  And I gave up trusting strange men along time ago. Not men, mind you. Just politicians and politicians in Australia need to find a deeper level of integrity. Especially after the incumbancy of John Howard whom mistook honesty for manipulation. May he rot in hell.

Acjade

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2007, 01:29:33 AM »
Sorry! I'm in the wrong ruddy thread. Can someone move it for me? llllllllll llllllllll

Eagle

• Through a Jungian Lens
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2007, 01:54:07 AM »
Maybe, maybe not ... perhaps Howard is the H in HP that we are being counselled to avoid.

George

• My view of China
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2007, 01:55:36 AM »
Maybe, maybe not ... perhaps Howard is the H in HP that we are being counselled to avoid.
yeah, and the "P" is for prick!!
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

Eagle

• Through a Jungian Lens
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2007, 01:58:24 AM »
How did we get from laptop to lapdog ... back to the topic ... don't vote for HP, or Sony, or ...

Martin

• It aint much if it aint Dutch
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2007, 02:05:43 AM »
When I arrived in China and found that I really should buy a laptop, I ordered a Dell by phone. Two Chinese ladies alternated using their English and I had my Chinese TA sitting beside me as backup.

It's 1,5 years old now and I still love it. The speakers are quite decent (for when you're travelling) and the media buttons are very conveniently placed at the front for watching video's and playing music. The jack for the speakers goes in the side, and not in the front (as with some IBM/Lenovo's) and it's got 4 USB ports.
Looks good; not too heavy, not too small. I'd certainly recommend a Dell if you don't know what you want yet. It's a little gem  agagagagag
No such thing as bad weather, just wrong clothing

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2007, 08:53:39 PM »
I have been happy with my Hasee for the last year and a half. It is great to travel with as it is relatively light. The only problem I have had is the battery. It gave up the ghost a month ago, and when I went looking for a new one, the price was outrageous. The hasee shops wanted upwards of 1100 RMB for a new one. I am now starting to look around for a new laptop, with a lot more options available.
Now, if only I can get a really cool looking one, with all the bells and whistles, at a good price, my day would be made.

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2007, 09:02:26 PM »
Asus.
Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.

« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2007, 01:16:46 AM »
Having been in the computer business for 22 years as a paid professional with experience in more types of hardware and software than you could ever  aaaaaaaaaa  , I bought a Benq laptop for the primary reason that it's white and looks cool. Oooooh white. Sexy.

Glad you're here then!  What cheap yet capable laptop would you recommend? yyyyyyyyyy
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com