New laptops

• 36 replies

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
New laptops
« on: October 13, 2007, 03:53:30 AM »
My 4 year old Hasee bit the dust yesterday, so I am exploring options.  I can get a really good price on an HP tx1000.  Has anyone used one of these?

Re: New laptops
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 04:25:39 AM »
Sorry LE, I've not. But I just wanted to say for what it's worth - I love my Hasee. I was pretty apprehensive when I decided to buy Chinese (is anything really "not" Chinese? Aside from my Fruit of the Looms - from the sweet hands of Honduras). However, over two years later it still purrs... though the battery might be shot.

Nice to hear someone else went the Hasee route. Not going that way again though?
'God it's great to be alive. Takes the skin right off my hide, to think I'll have to give it all up someday.
Lost Laowai | The Humanaught blog

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 07:05:47 PM »
I used it solidly for 12 months, loaned it to a friend who liked it, loaned it to another friend for another 12 months and then when it returned put I away for the last 3 months.  Broke it out again to tote back and forward. I think it had just run it's life down.  But when I head off i want something that I can get repaired wherever I am.  So I am going for the new lappies that will manage vista, have HUGE memory - my photos) and can get a bit better with the fancy stuff.

woza

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2007, 07:33:43 PM »
I know nothing about laptops, lapdogs maybe.  Always think of Asolutely Fabulous when Edwina sends the dizzy secretary out to buy a laptop and comes back witha lapdog.
I saw your avatar while reading a newspaper online.  It tests if you think with the right or the left side of your brain.  I am a rightie.
If this has been discussed before just ignore this post

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2007, 09:28:22 PM »
If it has, I've not seen it... and man is that ever frigin' cool.

To see for yourself (bigger than LE's avatar), check this out.

It's great if you can get it to switch back and forth at will... started to hurt my head after a while though.

As for laptops, if you buy an HP, are you technically getting a Gateway computer now?
'God it's great to be alive. Takes the skin right off my hide, to think I'll have to give it all up someday.

woza

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2007, 09:35:09 PM »
Human I know what you mean but I found that I could do it once it was suggested that i could, I didn't know I could change my mind so easily.
Lotus got paid shit loads of money posing for that.
I must put this as my screensaver once I buy a laptop (see how I cleverly stayed on topic)

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2007, 09:54:32 PM »
Woz - you kill me!! 

Hopefully my new baby will come early next week.  Friend is buying it pretty cheaply for me (from another friend who has a computer shop) and will load it with all the stuff I want.  It comes with the new Windows Vista, and he will add 2007 Office and other stuff for me.

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2007, 10:28:58 PM »
Hmmm I saw it turning both ways. Where's that thread? I can't find it anymore.
Cheers, LE. I am going to buy a new laptop by my birthday which is end of next month. Can't wait for it!  afafafafaf

woza

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2007, 10:47:21 PM »
Wow cheekygirl you saw it go both ways at the same time.  The study does not allow for that, you won't find the answers there.  Either Cheeky is a Libran or an Alien  A Libran Alien.  I could cope with that if you decided to take over the world.

Celebrating big time, landed a fat juicy contract off to dinner soon

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2007, 12:58:35 AM »
well it kinda started turning one way and then suddenly another.  aoaoaoaoao

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2007, 01:25:46 PM »
It comes with the new Windows Vista

I don't know this as fact as i a mac boy, but.....

Every single person i know who has vista hates it with a passion. Most people have had to download a crap load of updates and are still having trouble with it.

I would say it was worth thinking hard and reading some reviews before you went with vista.

But as i said i don't know as i haven't liked any windows since '98 which i did really like
The future's so bright i gotta wear shades

Eagle

• Through a Jungian Lens
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2007, 02:09:05 PM »
I have vista - it came with my sony  vaio and I didn't need to download any extras to have everything work.  One exception, there wasn't a driver for an old printer the uni provides me with so I am forced to use my own HP Deskjet 460 as a printer using the laptop.  Vista is good and has not got in my way.  Now, Office 2007 is often a pain, especially Word 2007. 
“… whatever reality may be, it will to some extent be shaped by the lens
through which we see it.” (James Hollis)

phets72

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2007, 03:55:01 PM »
I too will be looking to buy a laptop in the next six months.

Unlike LE, I'll be laptop virgin, any suggestions anyone?

I'd need it for internet, maybe photoshop and that's it....

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2007, 04:01:13 PM »
I asked about the Vaio and was told that the HP I am ordering has a better configuration and more memory cheaper, so that is why I didn't choose the Sony.  I was also told that the Vista doesn't have all the drivers, but I have specifically asked for the Canon drivers to be put in for my camera.  Software guy downstairs has Vista and he seems to love it.  I'll see.

I have taken a little while to get used to Office 2007, but now I understand it, I am happy with it.  Biggest problem is I will save stuff to my flash disk, get to class, realise I have created it in 2007 and the Uni's computers only have the old one and can't read it!!!  So I have to be very careful to save in the old format.

Phets - I'll let you know of any problems I come across with this new lappy.

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2007, 04:06:16 PM »
Now, Office 2007 is often a pain, especially Word 2007. 
Eagle, make the switch: OpenOffice.org. I did a couple months ago and haven't looked back.

I too will be looking to buy a laptop in the next six months.

Unlike LE, I'll be laptop virgin, any suggestions anyone?

I'd need it for internet, maybe photoshop and that's it....
Hey Phets, the most important thing to remember that mostly the label on the box is about as important as the label on a t-shirt, it speaks nothing of the quality of the parts in side. Pretty much every box you buy with a big name on it will have some combination of the same parts - so just get what you need and don't fret too much about this.

Where the big difference lies between brands is the service you get. Warranties, customer care and the likes are the things (especially for someone who can't fix things themselves) you're going to want to weigh heaviest when making your purchasing decision.

Do a search online, there will be thousands of review sites. Here are a couple:
http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops.html
http://www.notebookreview.com/
http://www.laptopadvisor.com/

A good method would be to find 3 or 4 laptops you like, get their model numbers and then just google "<model number> review".

Good luck!