• Home
  • Search
  • Login
    • Username: Password:

      Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Please help my wife.  (Read 666 times)


  • Barfly
  • *
  • Posts: 798
  • 在哈尔滨黑龙江中国
    • WillExcel TESOL
Please help my wife.
« on: April 01, 2019, 02:48:47 PM »
Wifey is looking teaching Chinese to foreigners and was looking at getting some sort of Chinese equivalent of a tesol or esl certificate to do so and she came across this.
They've been messaging her and sent her this website.
The presence of Chinglish makes me nervous and the 20000 or thereabouts price tag makes me more so.
Only found one reference in English online and it was less than positive.
Any opinions or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

This is the aforementioned website,

Escaped Lunatic

  • Global Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 10074
  • Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
Re: Please help my wife.
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 12:43:19 AM »
Contact a few language mills that offer Chinese for foreigners, preferably in the cities where there are lots of foreigners who will be looking for the best trained instructors (Beijing, Shanghai, and Shenzhen come to mind).  Ask them about what sort of certifications their trainers hold, since you want the best possible Chinese lessons.

You can also have your wife contact some and ask what sort of certifications they'd want her to have if she applied for a job with them.

See how many mention this IPA or have even heard of it.

Their US website.  ipaus.org

And they seem to have a few more Chinese language websites.  ipaceo.com, ipacn.com, ipacnn.com
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?


  • Barfly
  • *
  • Posts: 2512
Re: Please help my wife.
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 07:17:17 PM »
From looking at the English-language part of their website, I have a feeling the ipa.org group is operated by the Mormons (Salt Lake City address, big picture of the Mormon Tabernacle Church on its landing page).

Here's another outfit you might want to look at: [size=78%]http://https://www.actfl.org[/size]

I only know about them because one of the Chinese English teachers I trained sent me a link through WeChat to an online workshop they're having tomorrow (April 5, 6pm PDT). Link here: [/size][size=78%]http://https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/Mwtu7RrZcFusdjrrL0zbHw[/size]

Also, I previously taught students being trained by Hanban to teach Chinese in Confucius Institutes in American schools. Some of the students already had MAs in Teaching CHINESE to Speakers of Other Languages (MTCSOL). Some of those students got their degrees from Mainland Normal Universities.

The Hanban itself offers certificates and an MA in teaching Chinese. That might be your best bet for being recognized in China. They might have a program in your area or you can go to Beijing for one of theirs. The one I taught at was at BLCU and runs from May-June. General Hanban link is here: [/size][size=78%]http://english.hanban.org[/size]
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.