The Bar Room > The BS-Wrestling Pit

No one ever makes teaching sound good. What's that about?

(1/4) > >>

Calach Pfeffer:
Especially secondary teaching. It's always a list of compromises, and the hefty loads of shit you have to put up with.

What the hell?!

Calach Pfeffer:
I'm wondering because I've been looking into secondary teaching - and it sounds fucking horrible - nothing at all like what I do now in tertiary teaching. It really sounds like a black hole of non-education. Like, where is the learning?

What's really scary is I personally am always interested in larger perspectives, and I don't see anyone talking like that when they talk about teaching. It's all so concrete and local.

It sounds nightmarish

Escaped Lunatic:
I've reached the opinion that the enjoyability of teaching (at ANY level) is strongly correlated with the enthusiasm of the students.  If they don't want to be there, the best you can hope for is that they'll sit quietly and ignore you.  If they have even a modest interest in the subject being taught, that's when things can be fun for all involved.

Tree:
Not sure what you are reading, but ALL SCHOOLS ARE DIFFERENT. Give one or two a whirl and see for yourself. It's like reading about other's China experiences - never gonna matter much until you get your own, but plenty to fawn over/become frightened of. Yes that ended in a preposition.

Calach Pfeffer:
I mean as a gestalt. The modern image of teaching as one of being screwed. I'm sure it's possible to find my own place within the system, but over and over I'm finding images of despair in the ranks. And the ranks don't even seem like ranks. Every teacher is on his own, subject to gossip, thought to be underacheiving or inadequate as a person. Teachers are the stay-at-home-dads in the world of the professions. And there's story after story of exhaustion and fear. And supposedly the compensation is the occasional joy of some students "getting it"?

Sounds like bullshit

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version