Ningbo, Zhejiang

• 23 replies
Re: Zhejiang, Ningbo
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2011, 11:24:54 PM »
and by the by, I've been in Ningbo for over a year now and I still like it. It's not riveting, but it's fine and a comparatively easy landing into China.

You'll want for very little here, and Shanghai etc are all within spitting distance.
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2011, 05:39:17 PM »
Thanks again

I'll be in ningbo for mid January, then off on leave again for 3 weeks, then I settle in from Feb. This may sound familiar to you Fozz and answer your IM questions. While I see Hangzhou as a nice weekend option, I'm still looking forward to Ningbo. The consensus seems to be it's nice, as opposed to horrible or fantastic, which is just fine for me.

One more note, how long would it take to get from Ningbo to Shanghai Pudong? I need to get to Pudong for a 10pm flight on the night of the 20th. This is so I won't miss my flight from Ho Chi Minh City tp Bangkok the following morning. I know this is all far, far away in the future but what can I say? I just hate paying crazy flight prices for last minute bookings, especially around that time of year..

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2011, 06:16:57 PM »
it takes 3 hours to get to shanghai by bus or train from ningbo

neither of these options will leave you close to pudong however. you'll probably be 30mins to a hour away, depending on whether you take a cab or the subway. 
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2011, 08:16:11 PM »
Kitano, no worries. Local sites are no competition, really, and I encourage their use. We even list some in our Links pages. bjbjbjbjbj

I am moving the thread, though. The Library should be a place for answers, not questions.
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Re: Ningbo, Zhejiang
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2011, 05:51:40 PM »
Hi again ningbo and zhejiang experts

I have changed my plans for the spring festival and will be staying in Ningbo/China for 3 weeks, from Jan 21 to Feb 12. I'll be new in Ningbo and new in China, and with girlfriend in tow, who's also in teh same situation. I've read other spring festival posts here, they basically seem to say, "Get out while you can", spending all your money in the process, or "bunker down, be bored and save money". Do you think there's anything possible in between these 2 extremes? Are certain places easier to travel to than others? Or are any dates in that 3 week period better than others? I don't want to be stuck in Ningbo for 3 weeks... Help!

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2011, 12:30:10 AM »
Hey Simple,

your best bet is prob to use the time to settle into Ningbo and take a couple of trips to Shanghai and Hangzhou juse to liven things up a bit.

Don't believe the hype, Ningbo is fine, not inherintly fascinating but a hell of a lot better than 70-80% of China. Spring Fest in Ningbo will be like most parts of China outide the mega cities in that a lot of places will have shut down and it ain't much fun unless you've got Chinese friends to spend it with.

I might not be around in Ningbo at that time, but if I am I will certainly come meet and show you about ... I'm going to PM you my email, hopefully you can get it.  agagagagag
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2012, 08:08:50 PM »
...this autumn I'm gonna be moving to Ningbo...

...I am appalled with myself that I hardly ever got my ass out in to the countryside (around Ningbo) at weekends when I was there.

Did MK's fixed-term contract come to an end and Fozzwaldus is about to start his at the same establishment in Ningbo?  I wish you both the very best in the future if I'm right.

I have only travelled through Ningbo in order to get to Putuoshan, but it seems like the perfect location for a bit of old and new China.  One of my greatest regrets - looking back on my time in the region - was never getting to see Shaoxing.

I lived in Shaoxing and regret not having gone to Ningbo.  Fwiw, Shaoxing is a nice getaway from Ningbo or Hangzhou, and decent place to live.  The watertown area is downtown and near the (in-town) train station, and NOT overrun with tourists (they're at the Lv Shun childhood home and garden). They love'm some chou dofu there though:  stinky stalls located near almost all restaurants, and guaranteed to keep you slim by ruining your appetite.

Sorry to hijack- I'd be interested to read more good bad and ugly about Ningbo.

Monkey King

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2012, 11:07:46 PM »
I think LBB closed finally?

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2012, 04:43:40 AM »
@MK - it did, unfortunately. R.I.P the best bar in Ningbo.
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪