What Are You Reading??

• 1074 replies
Re: What Are You Reading??
« Reply #750 on: September 22, 2012, 02:27:57 AM »
not reading anything atm, but hope to get back to it soon, and hope to read some of the recommendations here. (Did I mention that I love you all?)
Piglet: I've gone through GO several times, and LOL every time. A truly weird but truly successful collaboration, given how different the 2 authors are.
AMonk, ETR: please don't spoil too much about Dodger. I am a huge Pratchett fan, but I am patient enough to wait.

One book I didn't finish this summer was the Penguin edition of The Real Story of Ah-Q and Other Tales of China: The Complete Fiction of Lu Xun Simply put, I was underwhelmed. Yes, I've read some of these before in other places, and was curious enough to search out a collection so as to deepen my experience; but when faced with story after story after story, it got pretty depressing. And pretty pointless. And pretty pointlessly depressing. And pretty depressingly pointless. And I'm a Leonard Cohen fan. And a Kafka fan. I believe it would be better if my Chinese were good enough that I could read it in the original, but somehow I doubt it would ever live up to expectations.

« Reply #751 on: September 22, 2012, 03:48:24 AM »
LFD, no worries, I still have not received my copy...bloodystupidnogooduselessdipshitAmozon.cndouchenozzleoperatedshiteforbrainscompanyunabletodeliverbooksontimemoronsshouldallbeflogged...grumblemumblesnarl

Instead, I am reading the latest Bryant and May mystery...followed by a book on the history of the Yakuza...
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

« Reply #752 on: September 22, 2012, 04:23:24 AM »
a book on the history of the Yakuza...

details please!
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

« Reply #753 on: September 22, 2012, 02:46:19 PM »
It's called "Yakuza: Japan's Criminal Underworld" by David E. Kaplan and Alec Dubro. Apparently the authors spent two decades doing the research, interviewing some rather unpleasant chaps and such. It is, as far as I can tell from browsing around online, one of, if not the most, exhaustive and detailed work on one of the most secretive criminal organizations in the world.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #754 on: September 22, 2012, 04:05:53 PM »
@mlaeux would not go to Egypt right now it's a little unstable to say the least.
News from the Sinai border is NOT good. kkkkkkkkkk
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4284517,00.html
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

Borkya

« Reply #755 on: September 23, 2012, 05:31:16 PM »
I'm reading Mao's Last Dancer, a true story about a Li Cunxin a male Chinese ballet dancer during Mao's time. It's not bad.

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
« Reply #756 on: September 24, 2012, 05:45:13 PM »
Pierre Trudeau & Jacques Hebert "Two Innocents in Red China". They visited in 1960. At the time Trudeau was a labour lawyer & Hebert a journalist best known for travel pieces on Europe & Latin America. China was in the middle of the Great Leap Forward and no Western governments recognised "red China" officially. The book came out in French in 1961.

By 1968, Trudeau became Prime Minister of Canada, brought the book out in English and shortly thereafter recognised China, ahead of all other Western countries except France. Eventually, Hebert became a senator; in Canada, those are appointed rather than elected.

A lovely period piece, very interesting.

Who put a stop payment on my reality check?

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #757 on: September 25, 2012, 03:24:33 AM »
Borkya saw the movie before we left Israel and LOVED it (was seeing every movie I could about China in that period).
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

« Reply #758 on: September 29, 2012, 11:13:23 PM »
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. (A Girl's Own Clockwork Orange.  bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf)

Next I'll try Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi. I'm dubious of the future world it's set in. Technological sophistication is coveted yet most technologies have failed? We'll see.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

« Reply #759 on: September 29, 2012, 11:40:22 PM »
The new JK Rowling novel A Casual Vacancy
Sometimes it seems things go by too quickly. We are so busy watching out for what's just ahead of us that we don't take the time to enjoy where we are. (Calvin and Hobbs)

« Reply #760 on: October 06, 2012, 03:25:18 PM »
Grumble...teacheraus beat me to it...picked up "The Casual Vacancy" yesterday. So far it is good, takes a while for it to get gripping. At least I have this book whilst I impatiently wait for the new "Skulduggery Pleasant", Rankin's "The Educated Monkey", Tom Holt's "Doughnut" and both "Dodger" and "A Blink of the Screen"...

« Reply #761 on: October 06, 2012, 10:28:57 PM »
'God is Not Great: How Religion Ruins Everything' by Christopher Hitchens. Witty, articulate and persuasive rant from an atheist 'saint'  ahahahahah

两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #762 on: October 07, 2012, 02:04:10 AM »
Read Blood Meridian and I'm just about to finish All the Pretty Horses by Cormac Mccarthy

They are both good but Blood Meridian was just insanely good, after writing something like that I don't think I'd have any ambition left

« Reply #763 on: October 07, 2012, 02:16:55 AM »
George MacDonald Fraser's Flashman series.

I like it when the villain is the hero.

« Reply #764 on: October 07, 2012, 04:00:14 AM »
Read Blood Meridian and I'm just about to finish All the Pretty Horses by Cormac Mccarthy

They are both good but Blood Meridian was just insanely good, after writing something like that I don't think I'd have any ambition left

I read blood meridian when I much younger, don't think that I got it all, must read it aagin.

have the whole border trilogy on my shelf as we speak. Have you read The Road? Incredible book. Absolutely terrifying.
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪