The Apple Thread

• 29 replies

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
Re: The Apple Thread
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2013, 12:07:37 AM »
stupid question maybe but do you have enough space on your device?
Also, can you play said videos in iTunes?

alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2013, 02:01:10 AM »
Plenty of space and they work in iTunes

It says it's copying them and then the progress bar doesn't move until it times out after 15 minutes or so

This is why I was reluctant to get an Apple, it took me years to work out how to deal with all these sort of bugs in Windows...

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2013, 05:14:06 PM »
Like other posters said I don't use taobao for expensive electronics. I got my iPhone through amazon.cn. I didn't notice any bloatware on it and it was unlocked. I've used China Unicom and China Mobile sim cards in it. With China Mobile you can only use their 2G network, but it seems to be much easier to access China Mobile WiFi hotspots.

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2013, 11:32:24 AM »
First of all, praise the Irish.  agagagagag

And now my Apple question: what is the simplest way to chat with people on iChat, without an Apple product? Is there any way? What about AIM?
Or, if I must buy an Apple, what is the cheapest option to use or access iChat?
There is some info on the  net but I don't want to wade through it any longer. I was going to buy a Mac Air but they have a slow internet connection, thus I wonder if iChat and other streams would work properly.
iPhone, iDon't know. iPhones use Message but not iChat?
This site seems home to the tekkiest tekkies so I thought I'd ask here. Should I just find a desktop Apple? I only want an Apple Something so I may chat with family on iChat. 
Thanks in advance for any info.
 ababababab

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2013, 11:56:28 AM »
WeChat isn't the best, but for free and quick messeges, it's fine
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2013, 04:21:52 PM »
First of all, praise the Irish.  agagagagag

And now my Apple question: what is the simplest way to chat with people on iChat, without an Apple product? Is there any way? What about AIM?
Or, if I must buy an Apple, what is the cheapest option to use or access iChat?
There is some info on the  net but I don't want to wade through it any longer. I was going to buy a Mac Air but they have a slow internet connection, thus I wonder if iChat and other streams would work properly.
iPhone, iDon't know. iPhones use Message but not iChat?
This site seems home to the tekkiest tekkies so I thought I'd ask here. Should I just find a desktop Apple? I only want an Apple Something so I may chat with family on iChat. 
Thanks in advance for any info.
 ababababab

There's a chat program called Pidgin which can chat to everything

http://www.pidgin.im/

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2013, 07:07:05 PM »
Thanks. So I gather, for video there is nothing?

BrandeX

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2013, 07:18:09 PM »
I only want an Apple Something so I may chat with family on iChat. 
It would be simpler to ask them not to be pretentious hipsters and to use this instead to talk to you: https://itunes.apple.com/hk/app/skype-for-iphone/id304878510?mt=8

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2013, 10:01:18 PM »
It would be simpler to ask them not to be pretentious hipsters and to use this instead to talk to you: https://itunes.apple.com/hk/app/skype-for-iphone/id304878510?mt=8
I agree with you 100%. I'm sick of hearing about how great iChat is, it's no better than anything else, but they have mom on iChat and getting her to do Skype or anything else is difficult if not impossible.
Forget it, I'm not buying a $1,500 Apple just to iChat. I guess that's the definition of 'proprietary'.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 10:10:11 PM by KeyserSoze »

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2013, 02:34:01 AM »
... or I could buy a used MacBook on ganji.com or 58.com.
 ababababab

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2013, 08:03:05 AM »

Cross platform is great, then again my 77 year old mom can't handle Skype. It makes no sense to her. Not surprising as I used to have to program the VCR for her when I was a kid but FaceTime she can use no problem.

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2013, 12:25:01 PM »
@still  My mom is 80 and Skypes with my nephew. She plans to use it to stay in touch with me when I get over to China. She's no techie, in fact she wouldn't know what to do with a chat/IM feature.   bibibibibi

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2013, 02:30:42 PM »
Oh, I don't think there is a problem with Skype really but Apple do make a product that is fairly simple for people to use.

Borkya

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2013, 03:00:21 PM »
When I came to china I showed my dad Skype. He keeps it on all the time, and if he sees me, even for a second before I can go into 'hide' mode, he calls me. It got so bad that I stopped logging into skype just because I didn't want to talk to him every friggin day!

I'm all Apple'd up, MacBook, iphone, and yet I never really got into facetime or ichat. I prefer Skype and we chat. 

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2013, 05:50:50 PM »
I hate them all. I use FaceTime with one person... Mom and that's a 'has to' situation. I don't like QQ, WeChat, Skype or any of these instant crap and only use them if I have to or for work purposes.

I treat all these services like email. I'll get around to sending a message back when I feel like it.

Ah, email This is the way it should stay. Sentences.

If it's so important that you need to talk to me now... pay and use a phone otherwise STFU

Sorry old man rant.