First Day Update: In Fuzhou, working in Putian

• 8 replies
First Day Update: In Fuzhou, working in Putian
« on: September 07, 2013, 05:07:47 PM »
    Well I got to sleep on what I think was a nice sturdy piece of cardboard the first night.

Had a long day of travel, East coast to west, San Francisco to Beijing and on to Fuzhou. I had a couple of delighted young chinese folk pick me up from the Fuzhou airport at almost midnight.

We took a bus, then a cab to my hotel. They were impressed that I had all of my belongings packed into 3 bags plus a laptop bag. Also they both operated under the false assumption that 5 pairs of shoes is too many.

The three of us get to the (hotel managers?) room to check in. At the small desk in the back there is what appears to be a gigolo. White and black checkered silk shirt and some lovely highlights in his hair. My two hosts pool in some yuan to get me a room for the night.

We open the door to the room on the sixth floor and I think it's poor even by chinese standards just based on the reactions of my hosts. It felt like they were watching me, waiting to see how displeased I was by the state of the room. There was a certain dumpy quality to the room no doubt. But after they left I found a pleasant little surprise. In the fridge were several cans of beer called Sedrin, a Budweiser brand from it's design. I drank my first Chinese beer and it reminded me of home.

I debated myself whether to visit the KTV downstairs and decided against. Only because it was 1:30 already. I probably should have gone for a drink just to make this story more interesting.

I fell asleep and now here I sit at a small desk wondering what the hell I'm doing in China. I'm just going to take it one day at a time. At first smaller increments might even be better. For my second day I'll take everything one hour at time. Surviving for an hour at a time seems like a reasonable goal for now.

gonzo

Re: First Day Update: In Fuzhou, working in Putian
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 05:50:31 PM »
You got met at the airport, have a room and they even put some beer in your fridge. Not too bad at all!
RIP Phil Stephens.
No static at all.

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 08:10:54 PM »
Yeah, not bad... Besides, this whole arrival will be a memory soon. The main thing is what will your actual home look like?  Oh, and Chinese beds are hard.  Chinese can apparently sleep anywhere, so any kind of mattress-like object is a bed.  You can probably find mattress toppers in town though.  Or at least on Taobao.  Welcome to China! agagagagag asasasasas :wtf:

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 12:56:51 AM »
Lots of Chinese people actually prefer hard matresses -- better for the back, they say.

Welcome to China. A day at a time (or an hour) is a good plan!

Borkya

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 01:16:45 AM »
Lots of Chinese people actually prefer hard matresses -- better for the back, they say.

Actually after being here for about a year, I prefer them too. Sure, sometimes my shoulder might fal asleep or something, but when I go back to america for a visit, I fend the beds so damn soft and cushy it's like I'm falling into it. And it's not a good thing.

Good luck patches! I found day 2 actually the harder of the days because they basically left me alone to "get settled" only I had no idea what to do/where to go/who to talk to with no phone or any idea of where the other foreigners lived. I hit the hot dusty streets and ended up going the exact opposite direction I should have and ended up back home a few hours later dying of thirst (I was too scared to go to the little unlit shops back then) hobbling with giant blisters. So, hope your days better.  agagagagag

BrandeX

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 01:19:52 AM »
Whoever is paying your hotel bill will be extra sad that you took anything out of the fridge. :) It's usually 10x the price of a shop outside.

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 01:23:39 AM »
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 01:45:38 AM by Isidnar »

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 03:11:17 AM »
Agreed about the bed thing.Got used to the hard mattresses,came back home and got neck ache from the soft mattress! Welcome to Fuzhou come visit us down the road in Xiamen.  bfbfbfbfbf
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

NATO

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 08:51:42 PM »
Welcome! Hope things are going well, keep us updated it's always interesting to hear what you're making of things here.