Posting stuff to Australia

• 12 replies
Posting stuff to Australia
« on: February 07, 2010, 05:12:57 PM »
I'm going to post some boxes of stuff home (books, toys, winter clothes) tomorrow as somehow in our short time here we've accumulated a whole lot more than the 20kg each we brought over  bibibibibi

Has anyone posted boxes to Australia & can give (even a vague) indication of what it might cost?  All I know is that I have to buy the boxes when I get to the post office, and that I have to go to a particular post office...  bjbjbjbjbj

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
Re: Posting stuff to Australia
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 05:21:28 PM »
Totally depends on weight, plus type of delivery you want - fast, slow, carrier pigeon.  You can also add insurance to the cost, if it goes missing and you want to replace the stuff.

I usually pay a high cost, (fast air delivery,+insurance, so I can track the parcel) because by the time I get around to posting gifts etc to Oz, then birthday has passed and so I feel guilty.  I've paid over 100Y for quite a small box because of this.  ananananan

Sorry - that's not much help.  
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 01:35:04 AM by Lotus Eater »

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 01:08:18 AM »
thanks - just had someone tell me a previous teacher paid around 300RMB for 10kgs so I'm thinking that must be carrier pigeon.  I could easily have 30kg so will have to go slowest as I want to pay insurance...

Schnerby

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 04:25:54 PM »
I posted some stuff recently and it cost me about 120Y. Mostly bulky stuff, but not too heavy. 6kg? That might be totally off. As might be the cost...

I'll look once I get home and can see the postage receipt.

El Macho

• 东北人都是活雷锋
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 01:44:21 PM »
I posted a small (but dense) box of books to Scotland for ~¥300. It's supposed to get here in March. I think it weighed something in the neighborhood of 15 kg. I'll be quite happy when it arrives.

In the past the stuff I sent to the US via super slow method did arrive. The box looked like it'd gone through a thresher, but nothing was missing and all was intact. I wouldn't send anything remotely breakable via China Post's cheap service.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 02:18:13 PM »
180 gram assignment by EMS cost me 164Y last week.  Xi'an to Sydney.

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 02:59:15 PM »
If you post by boat it's slow, but super cheap.  A co-worker of mine has worked here on and off over a few years and swears by it for large amounts of stuff.  If it's only to Australia it'll probably take way less than the 2-3 months it takes to get to the 'States as well.

Schnerby

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 06:12:53 PM »
I posted a package to Australia before I left China. That means it must have been about the 26th of January.

It still hasn't arrived here. Usually my mail took about 10 days, so I must have ticked the surface mail box and it's gone by ship. I do hope it turns up - it has my tea set base and a funky pair of shoes  ananananan

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 07:36:49 PM »
I sent a parcel to Australia just after Christmas, early January, and it still has not arrived. I sent it Airmail because I did want it to get there relatively quickly but did not want to pay the extra for EMS - Actually at the time couldn't afford to pay the extra for EMS. I would personally now be happy if it was coming by sea - but I am not feeling too positive at the moment.
Sometimes it seems things go by too quickly. We are so busy watching out for what's just ahead of us that we don't take the time to enjoy where we are. (Calvin and Hobbs)

Schnerby

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 11:55:22 AM »
Can you track it via the customs number? I know you can't track all mail, but some types you can. Maybe it's worth a try.

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 01:10:21 PM »
No can't be tracked. That is one of the things that you give up in taking the cheaper mail options and one of the reasons why I usually pay the extra for a trackable options when I am buying something and having it sent to me.
Sometimes it seems things go by too quickly. We are so busy watching out for what's just ahead of us that we don't take the time to enjoy where we are. (Calvin and Hobbs)

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 09:35:38 PM »
3 boxes at 15kg and 1 more at about half that.  THe heavier ones all cost just under Y 300.  I ticked surface mail but couldn't get any info out of the staff about when they might arrive.  Hopefully before winter as it was mostly winter clothes/shoes & the odd book :)

Schnerby

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2010, 12:00:58 PM »
Maybe our boxes met somewhere on a ship and stowed away to Hawaii to party!  ahahahahah