The pentagon wanted to develop the Gay Bomb (for real)

• 15 replies

moon over parma

The pentagon wanted to develop the Gay Bomb (for real)
« on: June 14, 2007, 12:30:36 PM »
http://cbs5.com/topstories/local_story_159222541.html

Jun 8, 2007 9:03 pm US/Pacific
Pentagon Confirms It Sought To Build A 'Gay Bomb'

Hank Plante
Reporting

(CBS 5) BERKELEY A Berkeley watchdog organization that tracks military spending said it uncovered a strange U.S. military proposal to create a hormone bomb that could purportedly turn enemy soldiers into homosexuals and make them more interested in sex than fighting.

Pentagon officials on Friday confirmed to CBS 5 that military leaders had considered, and then subsquently rejected, building the so-called "Gay Bomb."

Edward Hammond, of Berkeley's Sunshine Project, had used the Freedom of Information Act to obtain a copy of the proposal from the Air Force's Wright Laboratory in Dayton, Ohio.

As part of a military effort to develop non-lethal weapons, the proposal suggested, "One distasteful but completely non-lethal example would be strong aphrodisiacs, especially if the chemical also caused homosexual behavior."

The documents show the Air Force lab asked for $7.5 million to develop such a chemical weapon.

"The Ohio Air Force lab proposed that a bomb be developed that contained a chemical that would cause enemy soldiers to become gay, and to have their units break down because all their soldiers became irresistably attractive to one another," Hammond said after reviewing the documents.

"The notion was that a chemical that would probably be pleasant in the human body in low quantities could be identified, and by virtue of either breathing or having their skin exposed to this chemical, the notion was that soliders would become gay," explained Hammond.

The Pentagon told CBS 5 that the proposal was made by the Air Force in 1994.

"The Department of Defense is committed to identifying, researching and developing non-lethal weapons that will support our men and women in uniform," said a DOD spokesperson, who indicated that the "gay bomb" idea was quickly dismissed.

However, Hammond said the government records he obtained suggest the military gave the plan much stronger consideration than it has acknowledged.

"The truth of the matter is it would have never come to my attention if it was dismissed at the time it was proposed," he said. "In fact, the Pentagon has used it repeatedly and subsequently in an effort to promote non-lethal weapons, and in fact they submitted it to the highest scientific review body in the country for them to consider."

Military officials insisted Friday to CBS 5 that they are not currently working on any such idea and that the past plan was abandoned.

Gay community leaders in California said Friday that they found the notion of a "gay bomb" both offensive and almost laughable at the same time.

"Throughout history we have had so many brave men and women who are gay and lesbian serving the military with distinction," said Geoff Kors of Equality California. "So, it's just offensive that they think by turning people gay that the other military would be incapable of doing their job. And its absurd because there's so much medical data that shows that sexual orientation is immutable and cannot be changed."

So, the hawks really did believe in "Make love not war!" ahahahahah

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
Re: The pentagon wanted to develop the Gay Bomb (for real)
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 12:56:07 PM »
And it possibly would have had the opposite effect.  The Spartans were considered to be one of the fiercest armies and encouraged homosexuality as a way of ensuring that soldiers would defend each other.

This reminded me of the Monty Python sketch of the "Killer joke".

But also demonstrates a typical misunderstanding of homosexuality.  Why are people (and even scarier!) people in high places so ignorant of the basics of biology and sexual orientation? 450+ species exhibit various forms of homosexual behaviour and 3-6% of populations IDENTIFY as homosexual.

AMonk

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 01:04:11 PM »
The Pentagon.......US military, Yes???.....Military Intelligence came up with this?  Aaahhh...yes.  Military Intelligence is a primo OXYMORON!!! cccccccccc dddddddddd
Moderation....in most things...

Vegemite

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 03:51:32 PM »
It sounds to me like they weren't trying to change peoples' sexual orientation - just blast them with an aphrodisiac so they'd be too busy making love not war. Pity the poor dogs, cows, sheep, camels etc that also happened to be around...

If they did manage to change all the soldiers' sexual orientation then they would / could have been fighting a very fierce army - like LE pointed out...in ancient Sparta and Greece homosexual soldiers made the best warriors. It is said Alexander the Great ensured that all his soldiers were partnered up so they would defend each other to the death.

belrain

• In past travelling, now becoming Shanghai resident
    • My homepage
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 07:41:10 PM »
I am still of the opinion, thoses countries having a war should send their leaders into the stadium for boxing or wrestling.
A fight until complete knock-out. Only rule: A cage around the ring to ensure none of the audience get harmed. And then they can knock each others brain of - sometimes probably difficult to find some brain afafafafaf.

And the money from this spectacular event will be given to the poorest people of the winning country - presented personally by both fighters  afafafafaf

This could be a good solution  ahahahahah

But according to the article I would like to say as Aterix and Obelix would do :"They are crazy, the Americans".  bibibibibi bibibibibi bibibibibi
cdcdcdcdcd Das Leben ist schön

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 08:53:20 PM »
I am flabbergasted. A bomb that turns people into homosexuals? How is it even possibble to conceive such an idea? I mean, as a plot device for a really bad sci-fi movie starring Van Damme, yes, but it just sounds incredibly stupid...
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2007, 09:17:07 PM »
Isn't there some convention that forbids that? I think the soldiers would prefer being shot at...
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

ihealy

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2007, 09:26:26 PM »
I think it's a FABULOUS idea. Imagine what the headlines would be if the US dropped the GAY BOMB. And imagine the slough of discharges from don't ask/don't tell when the winds inevitable changed on teh battlefield turning our troops into sweaty, quivering homosexuals.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2007, 10:35:26 PM »
What kind of range have these things got? If you are out on the fringe does it just turn you into a bisexual? Was there accidental exposure in San Fran?

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2007, 11:26:33 PM »
If it worked, it would be an end to war. I mean, you need soldiers to fight, yes? Now, I am of course operating under the impression that the gayification (is that even a word?) would be set really high, like cast of "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" or French fashion designer level high. You would end up with armies more interested in coming uo with fashionable accessories for combat-boots and redesigning their uniforms as black/green is soo last war. I can just see the headlines now..
"Last night the 101st Airborne Battalion invaded [some country..let's say the Faroe Islands] and then proceeded to enter the homes of innocent civilians, forcing the inhabitants to Feng Shui their homes, teaching them wine appreciation and how to accesorize. Thorfinn J

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2007, 03:22:23 AM »
But all that singing and smiling - it would be like a Chinese public school! I think it's rotten idea.

After thinking about it a bit though, I've decided on a compromise. I like Belrain's idea - but set-off the GayBomb in there first.
You have to care for it to matter.
http://www.haerbinger.com - All About Harbin

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2007, 09:23:37 AM »
bibibibibi

What will they think of next?

Sounds like horror fiction....Jekyll and Hide or that sort of thing..
What about a boimb turning enemy soldiers (or any "enemies" in general) into crocodiles...lol.

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2007, 08:56:42 AM »
bibibibibi

What will they think of next?

Sounds like horror fiction....Jekyll and Hide or that sort of thing..
What about a boimb turning enemy soldiers (or any "enemies" in general) into crocodiles...lol.

Abusalam, you don't turn enemy soldiers into crocodiles. Gerbils, that's the way to go. Rainbow-coloured gay gerbils suffering from haemophobia, near-sightedness and really embarrassing chronic flatulence.

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2007, 06:12:56 PM »
Well, what about turning them into lemmings instead of gerbils? That way they would also then suicide, nicely getting rid of the rodent problem.
Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2007, 12:00:23 AM »
No no, turn them into sheep.  That way you've got oodles of clothing material and food.

Wait, if you turn a human into a sheep and then eat him, is that cannibalism?
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com