Introductions

• 1851 replies

George

• My view of China
Re: Introductions
« Reply #525 on: February 26, 2008, 03:16:48 AM »
Welcome aboard, Pommy! Hmmm, British born with Australian and French bits thrown in? Sounds like reverse colonisation to me! bibibibibi
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

« Reply #526 on: February 26, 2008, 03:42:54 AM »
Exactly what bits belong to what nationality?
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

« Reply #527 on: February 26, 2008, 04:00:28 AM »
Welcome to you too James the Brit.

Thank you to all the responses and suggestions. I am bringing a bevy of CD's, DVD's, books, personnal grooming products, my espresso maker and a 5-lb bag of my (looks and taste like mud) thick espresso grounds. This should last about 4 months so I'll be supplementing my liquid intake with the local various brews (beer, coffee, beer, tea, BEER!)
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

« Reply #528 on: February 26, 2008, 04:19:59 AM »
Unless your espresso maker works on 220 power, don't bring it.  bibibibibi

You will have to buy an adaptor to use it.
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #529 on: February 26, 2008, 04:20:11 AM »
Unless the CDs and DVDs are very rare - don't bother wasting that space.  They are easily bought here - for less than $1 each. And anything else you can download.

Books.  Books and more books.

kcanuck

• Canadian Stop Sign
« Reply #530 on: February 26, 2008, 04:38:52 AM »
and if you're planning on buying an adapter, get one in Canada, hard to find in small town China...safe travels
I am still learning. Michelangelo

« Reply #531 on: February 26, 2008, 05:27:49 AM »
Welcome aboard, Pommy! Hmmm, British born with Australian and French bits thrown in? Sounds like reverse colonisation to me! bibibibibi

Well Im a pom coz i was born there. Im french coz i lived in france for 15 years and australian coz my mum was born in sydney. So i get confused when ppl ask me where i come from or where my hometown is.

AMonk

« Reply #532 on: February 26, 2008, 06:33:06 AM »
.... where i come from or where my hometown is.

You come from your parents(!) and your hometown is where you're at...you know, hanging your hat.

James, Dreamer: WELCOME to you both.  Drink's on Raoul's tab, Toasties on mine!! agagagagag
Moderation....in most things...

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #533 on: February 26, 2008, 08:27:20 AM »
As long as it's not Belgium yer ok mate.

Might want to go a little easy on the French thing too

« Reply #534 on: February 26, 2008, 08:42:13 AM »
Daydreamer, load all your CDs onto a portable hard drive- this'll save you some space.  As for DVDs, bring (no, load onto that same drive) only the more obscure stuff-any major release in the West will be available here for dirt cheap, while the complete Kids in the Hall Series won't.

Socks!  You're Canadian, so you're spoiled for socks.  Bring a year's supply.  Attachments for the electric toothbrush.  Electric toothbrush.

For peace of mind, you could bring syringes.  We're all pretty sure the hospital supplies are safe...

Medication: for example, anti-depressants are hard to come by here- MAJOR stigma.

Set up e-mailaccounts on at least two different platforms, plus a Facebook page.

That's about it.  Turn and face the strange, ch-ch-changes...
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

« Reply #535 on: March 10, 2008, 05:46:48 AM »
Hi everyone,

I have recently been introduced to this board by a good friend as I am doing research for my trip to Suzhou.

About me:

32 yrs old, in a relationship with my mac, short but with a tall personality. I am originally from Chile but been living in Canada almost all my life. Studied Public Relations and Media in school (though hated it and dropped out). I can say sweet nothin's in English, spanish and Japanese.

I started teaching Spanish and then English. Been working as a teacher for 6-7 years. Currently I am just finishing up my stint as the FT registrar and teacher in Calgary.

I am a geek at heart. I collect a lot of things and am an avid movie watcher. (see Collections thread). I've been studying swing dance for several years now and travel to various workshops in Canada and the states. i also make some crafts and art when the mood inspires. i love all music (except prog rock!) - especially love jazz, swing, and old vaudeville/burlesque, indie pop, punk rock..... oh it goes on. I lived in Asia for 2 years and love contemporary asian art. i am also very sarcastic as it is the natural defense of hispanos.

I move to Suzhou in 3 weeks!! so i look forward to meeting you all!

"All young people need somebody bad to look up to and I hope I can be that for you tonight. "

John Waters

« Reply #536 on: March 10, 2008, 11:03:23 AM »
Welcome. A geek, eh? You'll fit right in. Have a chair, a toastie and a pint of baijiu.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Shroomy

« Reply #537 on: March 10, 2008, 06:23:03 PM »
Welcome.  The manager of my FT residence just gave me a second birthday cake.  Have a slice and the beverage of your choice.  For now, Eric will deliver it, but eventually I'll introduce you to my favorite cabana boy in the Ladies Lounge.  agagagagag
Back home and still confused about what the locals are saying.

« Reply #538 on: March 10, 2008, 06:53:15 PM »
Ty!! Happy birthday by the way!!! I look forward to meeting you when I arrive. agagagagag
"All young people need somebody bad to look up to and I hope I can be that for you tonight. "

John Waters

Shroomy

« Reply #539 on: March 10, 2008, 11:48:18 PM »
Unless you want to travel 20 something hours by train, or someone manages to lure me to Suzhou, that may be difficult.  But I look forward to meeting you, too.

I live in Changchun, Jilin.
Back home and still confused about what the locals are saying.