Contracted Hours for Teaching

• 12 replies

AMonk

Contracted Hours for Teaching
« on: December 31, 2010, 01:55:57 AM »
OK.  So we keep having the question raised about "how many hours should I be teaching?"  Let me tell you how many hours a "proper" teacher on this (Western) side of the world would be obligated for.  Then you'll have a basis for comparison.  After all, you do NOT want to kill yourself, and you do want to have a good time, don't you?

(Public) Primary School - Form/Class teacher responsible for all most Subjects

Basic School Day - 8:30 till 3:30 = 7h/day = 35h/wk

Take out lunch hour (x 5) = 30h/wk

Take out Preparation/Planning periods (at least 1 per day, often 2) = 25h/wk maximum

NOTE - Middle School teachers have less classroom time (18-20h/wk), High School even fewer, and College is down around 10-15h/wk ... not counting any Office time (1-3h/wk)

FYI - This does NOT cover the "at home" time spent planning/marking, etc.  Nor does it cover any PTA meetings (usually 1-2 hours each month).  
General Staff meetings are customarily held once a Term at either Lunch-time or at 3:30 and last about one hour.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 07:08:36 AM by AMonk »
Moderation....in most things...

Foscolo

• Boom boom!
    • ELTpublishing
Re: Contracted Hours for Teaching
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 05:00:27 AM »
In private-sector ESL, the maximum that's widely considered reasonable is 25 contact hours per week. Add preparation etc, and you're working about 40 hours for your insulting pittance salary. However, people working in state further/higher education are often surprised to hear this. There, (in Western Europe, anyway) the norm tends to be somewhere around 15 contact hours per week.
Free stuff for teaching English with jokes: ESLjokes.net.

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 05:40:24 AM »
I'd like to add that while some private schools may have higher teaching hours, the lesson plans/marking papers  is down to a minumum. I'm contracted to do 24 hours a week of teaching. Add 1 hour for lesson plans and that's it - 25!

At the uni, I have 15 hours of teaching, 1 hour for lesson plans and 4 hours per week marking papers (drudgery!)

Teaching from a book/curiculum is soooo much easier
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

Foscolo

• Boom boom!
    • ELTpublishing
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 01:04:14 PM »
It's important to remember that that hour between lessons when you tidied up your shelf in the staffroom, suggested an activity to a colleague and answered a student's question about the new timetable is all work too. In my view, the meter starts ticking when you walk through the door.
Free stuff for teaching English with jokes: ESLjokes.net.

jpd01

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 04:35:06 PM »
For my uni classes I plan a few weeks in advance and based my preparation upon the textbook provided to my English majors. Mostly I plan to give two separate lessons a week (as i see each class once a week) and the class flow is usually determined by my students as some classes are quiet and need direction where as others I can leave it up to them. After that I just spend at most an hour a week tweaking and that done and dusted: 10 hours a week.
"I don't understand what I did wrong except live a life that everyone is jealous of." Charlie Sheen.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 07:56:30 AM »
Personally, I think that 25 hours a week teaching Primary school is awfully high...it's still a solid five classroom hours every day, and in any Chinese public school or Uni that's easily enough to give most people a case of the Twitching Awfuls. eeeeeeeeee
IMHO anything over around 15-16 classroom a week would be pretty brutal. apapapapap

Especially given that a great many public/uni jobs still pay no more than 3500-5000 RMB a month. asasasasas

25-a-week is indeed more common and acceptable in private schools...the salaries are substantially higher, there's generally ZERO prep or grading, and The Peaches are usually old enough to be squeezed without riling The Homeys too badly. afafafafaf

This is indeed a MASSIVELY useful topic, but I'd like to un-sticky it until we can present a solid, unified slate of info on it... bjbjbjbjbj

« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 08:01:38 AM by Raoul Duke »
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

AMonk

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 11:19:49 AM »
Personally, I think that 25 hours a week teaching Primary school is awfully high...it's still a solid five classroom hours every day, and in any Chinese public school or Uni that's easily enough to give most people a case of the Twitching Awfuls.

Please note that I was/am speaking about Western teachers in Western schools in the West - ie USA, Bermuda, etc.

IF you're not working for "at Home" wages, then you shouldn't have to work "at Home" hours bjbjbjbjbj
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 11:24:57 AM by AMonk »
Moderation....in most things...

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 01:55:19 PM »
Please note that I was/am speaking about Western teachers in Western schools in the West - ie USA, Bermuda, etc.

Alors. aoaoaoaoao
Uh, sure, right...yeah...I knew that. oooooooooo

Actually, to me 5 a day in a Primary School ANYWHERE seems pretty brutal. But then I'm famously allergic to Shortness. kkkkkkkkkk
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 03:57:59 AM »
Last time I looked, to qualify for IELTS training one was supposed (at least) to have three years full-time employment as a teacher of English.  And as far as the British Council was concerned, "full-time employment teaching English" meant 16 hours per week face-to-face teaching.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

jpd01

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 04:01:41 PM »
Well to meet the minimum requirements to be considered for a position as an IELTS examiner in regards to contact hours are as follows: it's 3 years full time or part time equivalent teaching experience teaching adult age students IE: 16 years and older. Full time is considered to be measured at 14 hours per week.

"I don't understand what I did wrong except live a life that everyone is jealous of." Charlie Sheen.

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2011, 08:28:57 PM »
I knew there was a 16 in there somewhere.  ahahahahah

Having tried it for not nearly one year, my humble opinion is that 25 hours face-to-face a week is lethal.  Unless perhaps one really does love their teaching and doesn't have very much else to do in their week.  And possible doesn't want to live much past 45.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

fox

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2011, 11:08:38 PM »
i do 25 primary classes a week. they are all squished together with 10minutes to get to the next class. I like it. it means i get the rest of the day off when im done.  ive no papers to mark too. This year im teaching english science from a course book so its fairly straight forward.

regard man as a mine rich in gems of inestimable value.

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 05:17:28 AM »
I found that sausage factories training centres mostly involved kiddie work, so moving to public primary and middle school wasn't much of a stretch for me. The hours? After my first semester, I was able to pick up extra hours and do them standing on my head. 30, 35 class hours a week? Bring it on, I said. And I did. What I found after a time was that lack of defined objectives turned it into a grind. Or rather, playing the game (with Chinese characteristics) of pretending to accomplish something when they're really unwilling to let you accomplish anything wore me down. From the teachers I know back home, they all make similar noises (without the Ch characteristics). It ain't the years, its the mileage. It ain't the hours, its the crap you put up with that stands between yourself and the completion of a job worth doing and worth doing well.