Relaxed class for end of semester

• 19 replies

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
Relaxed class for end of semester
« on: June 07, 2007, 11:33:28 PM »
I promised my Oral English students we would have a fun class before the exams (next week) so this week I had them work in small groups to either choose a Chinese song to translate into English and sing or choose a game they played in their dorms and translate the rules into English.  They then presented the rules to the group in English.

It was fun, with them drawing the Chinese chess board on the board, taking it in turns to explain the moves, asking about the differences between that and international chess etc.  The girls groups mostly chose a song to translate and sing - figuring out that to maintain the rhythms they couldn't make direct translations.  Other boys groups used the games they played as kids to explain - and started talking about their primary school days while they were doing it.  Games included 'Drop the hanky" (including singing the song that goes with it - translated into English!) and 'knuckles' or 'bones'. The girls explained a different form of Chinese whispers - where you have to act out the message behind the back of the rest of the team. I would love to know if these games were independently created by children or spread across the world - and which way the spread occurred. 

It was a fun class, and ended up with lots of discussion and laughing.

AMonk

Re: Relaxed class for end of semester
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 11:44:22 PM »
Very good ideas, LE.....Please consider them "thiefed".... oooooooooo
Moderation....in most things...

phets72

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 11:48:50 PM »
The VERY last class before exams started (High School) I introduced the kids to Australian Animals, did the drawings on the board and their names which the kids had to learn. Then I asked some of them to come and draw them on the board, which was quite fun and had the class laughing.

Then I got them actually doing the action of the animal eg "Kangaroos hop", and introduced sentences with the animal and their action asked them to write another, which they then had to say.

The kids liked having something from Australia - the kangaroos where very funny and I picked some of the more rebellious kids to do them  (this worked very well much to my relief!)as they usually where funny.

AMonk

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 11:54:01 PM »
....Thiefing another idea....

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 12:05:02 AM »
Gifts can't be stolen!! acacacacac acacacacac acacacacac

Eagle

• Through a Jungian Lens
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2007, 12:36:03 AM »
For my last uni class I will be showing students photos of them through the year in the classroom, on the street at at various uni events that I have captured.  As well, they will be performing English songs, singing English nursery rhymes and of course, eating and drinking.  I also will be playing a word game with them using game cards from taboo having the students say sentences as a way to have team mates guess the featured word.
“… whatever reality may be, it will to some extent be shaped by the lens
through which we see it.” (James Hollis)

phets72

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007, 10:05:33 AM »

Vegemite

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2007, 01:37:46 PM »
The first half of each of my classes will be work as normal, second half I'm going to hit them with Mr Bean taking an exam and then try and explain exam etiquette in Western countries...maybe some of it will sink in.

Ruth

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2007, 02:32:14 PM »
That's a great assignment for uni students, Lotus.  Wish I'd known of it sooner, but I always have next term...

I've had my last class with my senior students.  Didn't know it was the last class until about 10 minutes before it was over.  I was discussing the format of the final, which was to be in two parts.  1:1 with me would take two weeks of class time and the last class was going to be group presentations - which is where your idea would have worked really well, Lotus.  "We can't do it that week."  "Why not?"  "That's exam week."  "Yes, I know, that's why I planned the final presentation for that week."  "No, we have exams in all our other classes on three days and then we are finished."  So, I have no class time during that week and my plans went out the window, along with 15% of the grading system I'd set up during week 1.  We regrouped, and weighted the 1:1 and their other major project more heavily to obtain their 100 marks.  But it sucks, 'cause I've really enjoyed teaching these kids and it wasn't a great way to end our time together.  I'm half way through the 1:1 sessions and at least I get to spend a few minutes with them individually.

We've had a few weeks of really fun classes.  They have been training to become primary school teachers.  Their major project was to find a song, game, story or tongue twister online and present it to the class as if they were teaching primary school.  So we've been learning colors, farm animals, etc.  I'm getting a little tired of "This is the way we wash our face..."  Feedback from them is good.  They appreciated the chance to have some practice teaching time and I appreciate all the new websites they have submitted to me.
If you want to walk on water, you have to get out of the boat.

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2007, 11:11:35 PM »
I've been doing a stint on body language with my High School kids. I've been showing them a Charlie Chaplin movie (in installments) and then getting them to create the dialoge for a couple of the scenes. They're having a ball watching it.  ahahahahah
Courage is not the absense of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2007, 04:27:14 AM »
With the weather being so good I've been taking the kids out for 10-15 minute spells at the end of each lesson, playing stuff like 'duck duck goose' and 'what's the time Mr Wolf'.  Hey, they're still using their english, and it's fun for them :)
It is too early to say.

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2007, 01:18:33 AM »
I've been doing a stint on body language with my High School kids. I've been showing them a Charlie Chaplin movie (in installments) and then getting them to create the dialoge for a couple of the scenes. They're having a ball watching it.  ahahahahah

Try playing charades with the vocab from the back of the book. 

Yeah I did think of that, and tried it.... didn't go over so well. They just weren't interested in looking silly in front of their friends. A little frustrating.  bibibibibi
Courage is not the absense of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.

AMonk

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2007, 01:34:02 AM »
Preserving "face" is very important in the teen years.....no matter the locale!

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2007, 01:44:52 AM »
yeah, and I'm always very conscious of that in everything I do. Doesn't mean I won't give them a little prod if I think the activity is worth it though.  ;)

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2007, 07:01:15 PM »
I like that one Missi. I might give it a whirl. Thanks.