Bought and paid for

• 66 replies

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
Re: Bought and paid for
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2008, 04:39:51 PM »
He Kexin is being investigated under allegations she is under age. Wow...must have taken some great detective work to figure that one out.  bibibibibi

« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2008, 05:43:18 PM »
Here's "the proof" that she was indeed underage. A Chinese hacker found out:http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/olympics/article4578241.ece

« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2008, 05:57:37 PM »
Yes, but Chinese and other Asian countries date the age from conception not actual birth which give everyone almost a 1 year higher age when compared with Western ages.
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

Hossuru

• boni pastoris est tondere pecus non deglubere
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2008, 06:17:59 PM »
Hey decurso; the Chinese are now under investigation for falsifying the ages of all three gymnasts. They are going to lose all their gold medals--as they should.
The US will receive them--as they should have in the first place.

<More expunged here. Sheesh. bibibibibi -R >
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 08:50:10 PM by Raoul Duke »

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2008, 07:36:41 PM »
 Like I said-it's only cheating if you get caught. They got caught. Nice try though.

Ruth

« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2008, 02:37:44 AM »
Except so far it looks like they are getting away with it.  After a 12 hour investigation - surprise!! all are 16.  I posted some quotes from a news article in the gold rush thread.
If you want to walk on water, you have to get out of the boat.

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2008, 09:48:23 AM »
 Yup...hats off to them too. The IOC has found no wrong doing. The entire world knows these girls are underage...and I gotta tip my  my hat to China for pulling off such a blatant fraud on the world stage. World class cheating deserves gold in my opinion.

« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2008, 09:52:51 AM »
I wonder how much Roggue and co. got paid to be quiet.  mmmmmmmmmm

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2008, 02:49:38 PM »
And people wonder why I am down on the Olympics.
Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.

Schnerby

« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2008, 02:09:33 AM »
Seriously what can the IOC do? They have Chinese passports with their age shown as 16. Apart form finding the passports fraudulent, there is nothing they can do. Can't go messing with legit passports.

« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2008, 03:49:35 PM »
Seriously what can the IOC do? They have Chinese passports with their age shown as 16. Apart form finding the passports fraudulent, there is nothing they can do. Can't go messing with legit passports.

YOU Walk right up to the honcho, show him the registration papers from past events showing their ages then, and their ages now, point out the discrepancy, and ask what's going on.  Then call them a bunch of lying weasels and take their medals.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

Schnerby

« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2008, 05:57:09 PM »

YOU Walk right up to the honcho, show him the registration papers from past events showing their ages then, and their ages now, point out the discrepancy, and ask what's going on.  Then call them a bunch of lying weasels and take their medals.

Well yeah they can do that. But what is more convincing, papers from a gymnastic event (oh that was just a simple error!) and a passport?
Cheating stinks. I'm not for it, but the IOC don't have no say over stuff like official documents.
Cheating using official documents (ie. government sanctioned cheating) sucks more. llllllllll

Ruth

« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2008, 06:09:09 PM »
Is anyone planning to bring this up in public in China?  Like with your students in a classroom?

My Chinese friend said she wasn't aware of any age rules for the sport.  Also said Chinese media hasn't said anything about it, that she's aware of.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #58 on: August 26, 2008, 10:56:36 PM »
Every class we have discussed the Olympics in has had it brought up - and the students ALL think they are under age.  So maybe the 'party' media is not discussing it - but definitely it's out there.

Ruth

« Reply #59 on: August 26, 2008, 11:30:02 PM »
I'm curious to know what your students think about it.  Do they think it's not a problem?  Are they pleased that the Chinese gov't pulled one over on the rest of the world?  Are they ashamed of their gov't?  More...