Weather Check

• 1321 replies
Re: Weather Check
« Reply #1095 on: July 23, 2012, 02:24:07 PM »
Beijing's heaviest rainfall in 60 years kills 10

So... guess who registered with a group to climb the highest mountain in Beijing on Saturday? The forecast only said 60% chance of rain, and it wasn't supposed to start until the afternoon...

HIKE FROM HELL!

« Reply #1096 on: July 23, 2012, 02:29:14 PM »
Good grief FRB. You and your husband made it back ok? The weather forecasters really screwed up this time. They should have been able to predict that it would rain heavily for about 12 hours straight.

They've now increased the death toll in Beijing to 36 last I heard. I guess as the waters receeded they found more bodies. I am really glad we stayed in on Saturday.

« Reply #1097 on: July 23, 2012, 10:40:29 PM »
 kkkkkkkkkk
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

« Reply #1098 on: July 25, 2012, 08:28:21 PM »
I feel like we were pretty lucky. The road on the way back to town had several small landslides and boulders, but nothing that really stopped us for long. Actually, we were both pretty out of it on Friday night and had just planned to skip it- but for some reason woke up really early on Saturday and thought- why not? (at least the mountaintop was fairly safe from a flooding standpoint...)

kkkkkkkkkk

Hey, don't give me that look! Lesson learned. I think we're both unwilling to really do much of anything outside at this point if there's a chance of rain. Must have been a rough weekend for people living on the first floor- or underground.

« Reply #1099 on: July 25, 2012, 08:46:17 PM »
I think Beijingers have been traumatized. It is supposed to rain again today and my kids' school just called and asked us to pick the kids up early just incase.

« Reply #1100 on: July 25, 2012, 08:51:39 PM »
sorry the  kkkkkkkkkk was just a general shaking my head at a horrible situation.
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #1101 on: July 26, 2012, 12:18:46 AM »
good grief... this one might be more severe than saturday apparently!!

http://www.timeoutbeijing.com/features/Blogs/16196/More-severe-storm-warnings.html

Mere days after floods submerged Beijing, another storm is on the way - and it may be even worse than its predecessor.

At 11am on July 24, The Beijing Meteorological Bureau issued a Level 4 storm warning. By contrast, Saturday's storm was a Level 2. To make matters worse, the ground is already saturated with water, meaning that flood waters will rise faster.

The storm is set to hit Beijing at approximately 8pm today, so get somewhere safe as soon as possible and stay there. A good night to work your way through that stockpile of pirated DVDs? Yes, it is.

fucking A.....
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

« Reply #1102 on: July 26, 2012, 01:56:31 AM »
whoah! people in BJ be careful out there!!
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

« Reply #1103 on: July 26, 2012, 04:13:20 AM »
Check out this video of Fangshan district in Beijing on Saturday

http://tv.sohu.com/20120724/n348933842.shtml?pvid=tc_video&a=&b=%E5%AE%9E%E6%8B%8D%E5%8C%97%E4%BA%AC%E6%88%BF%E5%B1%B1%E6%9A%B4%E9%9B%A8%E5%BC%95%E5%B1%B1%E6%B4%AA%E5%A0%AA%E6%AF%94%E6%B5%B7%E5%95%B8

Ridiculous! No wonder people are freaked about the possibility of more rain!

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #1104 on: July 27, 2012, 04:12:49 AM »
It's bright, sunny, and in the mid 80s (F) here on the (Cu)Cumberland plateau, somewhere in Tennessee.  Locals plan a dueling banjo concert followed by a squeal like a pig contest this weekend.

Happily, I can jump on a plane back to the alternate baking and raining summer of DG tomorrow before sunrise. akakakakak
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

Ruth

« Reply #1105 on: July 27, 2012, 04:57:03 AM »
You're right about the alternate weather here in Dongguan. Last week (first week of summer camp for me) was unbearably hot. This week it has been raining (typhoon went through early Tuesday morning) and that has cooled things down to 'tolerable'. I do the weather every day with my camp-kids and they get into arguments about whether it's sunny, rainy, cloudy or partly cloudy. Depends on the exact moment we are doing our weather pages.
If you want to walk on water, you have to get out of the boat.

« Reply #1106 on: July 28, 2012, 03:39:32 AM »
It is raining again in Beijing! *cues panic*

« Reply #1107 on: July 28, 2012, 10:39:13 PM »
Hangzhou is now, officially, three inches from the surface of the sun. Hot...hot...hot...
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

rattie

« Reply #1108 on: July 29, 2012, 10:32:32 PM »
Maanshan, Anhui, hot, very bloody hot, and dry, and blindingly bright blue sky, dog is munching on ice blocks, I am dripping sweat on the keyboard, and not a single person outside, we're all waiting for a promised thunderstorm...
Rx

« Reply #1109 on: August 03, 2012, 04:50:27 PM »
The wind changed. The last month I've been able to look out the window and see detail of cranes on buildings and cars on roads one, maybe two kilometers off. Today I can't even see the buildings. Big multi story things with those dark green screens around them, now invisible. Seems all of last month's pollution has been sitting somewhere up north waiting to come home and it all turned up today like a dirty pearl shroud. The sun's shining too. Makes it worse somehow.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0