Movie/film thread: resurrected

• 2327 replies

kitano

• Children of the Atom
Re: Movie/film thread: resurrected
« Reply #1140 on: October 07, 2009, 03:47:59 PM »
watched the new trailer park boys movie yesterday, i was a bit disappointed. it was like the end of the series, some good jokes, but the characters were just playing up to themselves, it wasn't free enough like the series

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #1141 on: October 07, 2009, 03:48:55 PM »
Pretty good French movie I just saw called "The Class".  Thought it might be appealling to teachers since it's set in a classroom.  It's in Paris' inner city with a very multi-cultural class.

another really good french movie about teachers is 'Avoir and Etre'. A true story about a rural school where these teachers completely invented this curriculum

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #1142 on: October 08, 2009, 02:18:29 AM »
I made it through 1/2 of Season 4 of "Charmed' and finally in self-defence had to run for my life.  The 1st couple of seasons were interesting in considering dealing with new skills and powers, and for the 'female' gaining and using power process.  Still needed men to guide the use of female power though.  aaaaaaaaaa  The 3rd season got to be too 'screechy' - no conversation was possible without the now 'powerful' women being hard and tough.  Season 4 got to be just too silly.

So back to Boston Legal for season 5, hoping it is better than season 4, as my mates tell me it does.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #1143 on: October 10, 2009, 03:29:57 AM »
Finished Season 5 of Boston Legal.  I would love to have my students watch the whole series - they bring up great issues and in general give good closing arguments for both sides of an issue.  They tackle all sorts of topics, political, social etc.

Biggest problem would be having to explain the chauvinist attitudes of Denny and Alan in EVERY episode.  That really got to be annoying.

« Reply #1144 on: October 10, 2009, 06:31:19 AM »
Pretty good French movie I just saw called "The Class".  Thought it might be appealling to teachers since it's set in a classroom.  It's in Paris' inner city with a very multi-cultural class.

another really good french movie about teachers is 'Avoir and Etre'. A true story about a rural school where these teachers completely invented this curriculum

Watched that on my PGCE.  Very good :)
It is too early to say.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #1145 on: October 11, 2009, 11:44:14 PM »
Watched 'Anger Management' and 'The Boat that Rocked' last night.  I thought 'Anger Management' was NOT one of Nicholson's best, and was pretty silly.  But 'The Boat That Rocked' was good.  Plus it had fun music! 

« Reply #1146 on: October 15, 2009, 01:37:38 AM »
Walk the Line.  Two thumbs up! bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

A-Train

« Reply #1147 on: October 15, 2009, 07:08:16 AM »
Walk the Line.  Two thumbs up!

How 'bout that concert scene at Folsom Prison?  Decadent, raw, drug and murder ladened songs, yet off-the-chart inspiring.
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

mlaeux

• How's the water?
    • Fukushima has changed everything.
« Reply #1148 on: October 15, 2009, 10:10:22 AM »
Walk the Line was good.  akakakakak

My favorite part was when the drug dealer came to the house and the female lead character (June Carter) shoved a shotgun in his face and then he took off outta there in that 1950"s convertible.

« Reply #1149 on: October 16, 2009, 02:15:26 AM »
Assassination of a High School President

Derivative of so many film genres--noir thrillers, teen high school comedy, journalist crap, etc--but in a very excellent, well-put together homage kind of way.  The whole package is very pleasing as an entertainment experience.

And a totally Limewire-worthy soundtrack.

Surrogates

No soundtrack of any note, but as a sci-fi flick with a modest amount of substance, I enjoyed it.

Also discovered The Office

Watched the first season and started on the second.  Last night I saw the office Olympics episode and laughed so much I snorted.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

mlaeux

• How's the water?
« Reply #1150 on: October 16, 2009, 05:04:17 AM »
The American version of The Office is a pale copy of the original.  nnnnnnnnnn

« Reply #1151 on: October 16, 2009, 07:50:01 AM »
I love the original (Ricky Gervais is the British Larry David in a way, would love to see them do soething together) but I've heard that the yank version is actually pretty good.

Unlike their version of life On Mars, which had the worst ending ever
It is too early to say.

mlaeux

• How's the water?
« Reply #1152 on: October 16, 2009, 10:37:05 AM »
I'm not too impressed with the American version of The Office.

I never saw the American version of Life on Mars. I saw a couple of the British episodes and they were really good. I never did see the ending. Did he ever come out of the coma?

« Reply #1153 on: October 16, 2009, 11:30:19 AM »
The British version finished with him coming out of the coma, and finding himself in the sterile modern environs of the UK today, and deciding it was all too depressing and going and jumping off a building, finding himself back in the 70s again.  It was well done and ambiguous.

The American version...

Well...

Let me just say

aoaoaoaoao

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxI_UwYThgU&feature=related

bibibibibi bibibibibi bibibibibi bibibibibi ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah
It is too early to say.

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #1154 on: October 16, 2009, 04:11:56 PM »
i like the american office, but it isn't as good as the english one for me just because i've worked with all the people in the english one....