Movie/film thread: resurrected

• 2327 replies

synthette

Re: Movie/film thread: resurrected
« Reply #990 on: January 04, 2009, 06:03:29 PM »
Sweeney Todd agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag That movie is so damn good.

Isn't it just!!.......going to watch it again this week - total gorefest!  aoaoaoaoao
(and very graphic in the 'trapdoor' scenes too!) - love Johnny Depp......anyone seen him in "The 9th Gate" ??.....

« Reply #991 on: January 04, 2009, 06:29:54 PM »
I thought he did a good job in "The 9th Gate" but found the movie itself terribly disappointing, considering how great the book it was based on is. Have you seen Depp in "The Libertine"? Damn, he is good as John Wilmot. I think the only Depp movie I did not care much for was "Cry Baby". "Benny and June"...awsome. "Sleepy Hollow"...awesome again.
I actually brought with me a copy of "A String of Pearls", the original tale of the Demon Barber of Fleet Street, if you would like to read it. For a Grub Street hack production, it's good.

I just downloaded "The Five Doctors"...a Dr Who extravaganza. Gallifrey, The Master, TARDIS...so good... agagagagag agagagagag
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Schnerby

« Reply #992 on: January 04, 2009, 08:33:39 PM »
Mmmmmm.... Sweeney Todd  agagagagag

« Reply #993 on: January 04, 2009, 08:42:55 PM »
I lost season 4 of Weeds, so I finally bought it again and watched the whole shebang.  Along with Arrested Development and Simpsons, this show makes me laugh harder than the Joker at a funeral.

Will there be a season 5?
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

« Reply #994 on: January 05, 2009, 05:31:24 AM »
Sweeney Todd, definitely a good film. Beautifully dark, well cast, nice music. I taught the basic story to an advanced class (grade 5 to junior 2, after school program) one year, had them make up their own versions. They would have loved this.

« Reply #995 on: January 05, 2009, 11:47:51 PM »
Gangs of New York.  I see why it was nominated for Best Picture... and why it lost.  Worth the watch, though.

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #996 on: January 06, 2009, 12:18:49 AM »

Finally got around to watching the latest James Bond... or at least that's what they called it  asasasasas asasasasas
great action flick but it was in no way a James Bond movie... not by a mile... hell no...
 asasasasas asasasasas asasasasas  kkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkk
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #997 on: January 06, 2009, 12:19:59 AM »
Gangs of New York.  I see why it was nominated for Best Picture... and why it lost.  Worth the watch, though.

It's been years since i actually saw that but man... i can still visualize Daniel Day Lewis in his role... great great acting.

alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

« Reply #998 on: January 06, 2009, 02:29:56 AM »
Yeah, I never understood why GONY got so slated.  I thought it was good.
It is too early to say.

« Reply #999 on: January 06, 2009, 09:20:37 AM »
Did anyone ever mention The Fountain when it came out (2006)?

I'll mention it now.

The Fountain.

Baraka meets 2001: A Space Odyssey meets a couple of other movies too.  It's beautiful in a way that lets you keep watching even when it gets weird.

when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #1000 on: January 07, 2009, 05:05:58 AM »
Just starting season 4 on MI-5/Spooks, and it still kills any other similar genre series.  Depth in acting, intelligent situations, questioning of current PC stances with intelligence and compassion for both sides, BLOODY good series.

« Reply #1001 on: January 08, 2009, 01:38:05 AM »
Lewis was amazing in that role.

Watched Get Smart, a remake of the TV show, starring that guy from The Office and The 40 Year-Old Virgin.  It didn't suck!  In fact it was rather clever, had a good story, great action, and made me laugh several times.

I repeat: Get Smart doesn't suck.  bibibibibi

englishmoose.com

« Reply #1002 on: January 08, 2009, 12:10:04 PM »
Spooks is good, but I found it got a bit repetitive later on.  I like Series 1 and 2 where there is quite a wide varety of cases/villains/baddies...

Also, Matthew McFayden is in series 1/2 and he's quality.
It is too early to say.

« Reply #1003 on: January 11, 2009, 04:38:41 AM »
Bolt     bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf

"Because all over this planet there are animals who feel like they can't.  Like... the little hamster who once spent his days in an RV park dreaming of the day when he too would save a little girl from danger and be told, `You did it.  You did it, Rhino!  You saved the day!' 

"They need a hero, Bolt.  Someone who--no matter what the odds--will do what's right!  They need a hero to tell them that sometimes the impossible can become possible if... you're... AHSUM!"

« Reply #1004 on: January 19, 2009, 10:36:55 PM »
Three very good films:

Slumdog Millionaire
Danny Boyle directs.  (He directed Trainspotting.)  But it's Indian.
Hilarious in parts.  Compelling.  (Though sacrifices grit for charm.)
 bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf

Choke
The most recent Chuck Palahniuk adaption.  (Chuck wrote Fight Club.)
Great film.  Weird and funny.  Again with the charm factor.

RocknRolla
Guy Ritchie back to form.  No character can say anything but what is cool and smart.
The best intro and credit soundtracks eva.