Movie/film thread: resurrected

• 2327 replies

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
Re: Movie/film thread: resurrected
« Reply #945 on: December 24, 2008, 01:16:48 AM »
Almost finished watching "Shark' TV series.  Similar to a lawyer 'House MD'.

« Reply #946 on: December 24, 2008, 03:02:51 AM »
I love Shark... whenever James Woods is on camera.  The second he isn't, it's about as interesting as CCTV9.  awawawawaw
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

Spaghetti

• Goo Goo Muck
« Reply #947 on: December 24, 2008, 07:00:30 AM »
I didn't like Daniel Craig as an actor until he appeared as Bond. I LOVE seeing him in the role, but I did feel that Quantum of Solace lacked that typical Bond-flick feel.

I think they've been trying to re-establish the Bond franchise with a new feel. Something stripped down and cold. The Craig films have to keep pace with the Bourne films. The old James Bond seems out of place in today's world, so the nostalgia factor is what works for the older films. I was never a fan of the Bond series, so I don't have the nostalgia factor working for me. I still have a hard time identifying with Bond. Then again, I'm the sort of nut who'd prefer a movie about Q making all of those gadgets.

Con: Jackson's King Kong was pointless. It retread the same ground as the original, offering up nothing new in regards to substance, and there was absolutely no emotional connection between Kong and the surrogate Faye Ray - Naomi Watts; in my opinion. Jack Black was horribly miscast, it moved at a snail's pace, and the whole thing felt like an airbrushed video game, more than a film. It really left me with the feeling of there being nothing there to justify its existence, and it ranks as the only Peter Jackson film where I couldn't find one sympathetic character. In King Kong, that's the ethical crux of the film! I'm supposed to care about this ape. I could not connect on any level, not even a nostalgic one, so it was a ponderous experience for me.
"Most young people were getting jobs in big companies, becoming company men. I wanted to be an individual."
Haruki Murakami

« Reply #948 on: December 24, 2008, 05:44:35 PM »
I watched Wall-E with my students yesterday...that movie is so cute...and we even ended up having a rather interesting debate about robots falling in love...
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #949 on: December 25, 2008, 10:37:06 PM »
MI-5.  This KILLS CSI etc for a really, really, good TV series.  Definitely worth watching.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #950 on: December 26, 2008, 06:04:22 PM »
MI-5.  This KILLS CSI etc for a really, really, good TV series.  Definitely worth watching.

The original name 'Spooks' might be a bit off-putting to some.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #951 on: December 27, 2008, 12:46:40 AM »
The cover has both names on it.  And I found one version with just Spooks used.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #952 on: December 27, 2008, 07:53:52 AM »
Yeah, season 1 it was just called Spooks. PC considerations forced the change. I enjoyed the first few seasons but not the last two. This season is garbage.

Then again, I generally find CSI to be rubbish too.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #953 on: December 27, 2008, 02:22:01 PM »
I'm still on Season 1 - disappointed to hear it falls off the pace.  ananananan

« Reply #954 on: December 28, 2008, 02:27:19 AM »
I'm just beginning to watch Dirty Sexy Money, about this messed up rich family.  So far, a glorious train wreck.  I hate every one of them.

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

Spaghetti

• Goo Goo Muck
« Reply #955 on: December 28, 2008, 02:48:08 AM »
I'm just beginning to watch Dirty Sexy Money, about this messed up rich family.  So far, a glorious train wreck.  I hate every one of them.

I felt the same way about:

The Cosby Show

You know that Theo was the diabolical mastermind bent on destroying the Huxtable family over time. The sordid disappearance of Denise after they launched the spin-off, A DIFFERENT WORLD; there's dark secrets on that show. Far more compelling debauchery than stuff like DALLAS.

"Most young people were getting jobs in big companies, becoming company men. I wanted to be an individual."
Haruki Murakami

Bugalugs

• If we are what we eat, I'm easy, fast, and cheap.
« Reply #956 on: December 29, 2008, 04:00:52 AM »
I love DIRTY SEXY MONEY watched it in October, makes me kinda glad that i don't have money...
Good girls are made from sugar and spice, I am made from Vodka and ice

Do you have and ID Ten T error??

« Reply #957 on: December 29, 2008, 11:20:19 PM »
Ditto.  Feel the same about Nip/Tuck.

Watched War, Inc. last night.  Not great, but good.  Helluva cast: John and Joan Cusack, Ben Kingsley, Dan Ackroyd...

Burn After Reading was terrific!  The Cohen brothers are definitely on with this one.  A must-see.

englishmoose.com

Spaghetti

• Goo Goo Muck
« Reply #958 on: December 30, 2008, 05:12:22 AM »
I watched Nacho Libre and loved it. I also watched Little Britain U. S. A., series one, and also loved it*. I'm about to watch the Doctor Who 2008 holiday special from last week.

*I was skeptical that bringing in American elements would water down the Willaims/Williams and Lucas satire, but this HBO-BBC incarnation is as good as the three BBC series.
Haruki Murakami

« Reply #959 on: December 30, 2008, 08:36:02 AM »
Just watched The Deal, because William Macy's in it.  It's really funny, and never nauseating.  I didn't even feel like running over Meg Ryan with a stolen car like I usually do.  Macy plays the main role perfectly, an obnoxious dickhead who delievers cynical and mean lines with a velvety gentleness.  It was contagious, and I was insufferable for the rest of the day.

englishmoose.com