Movie/film thread: resurrected

• 2327 replies
Re: Movie/film thread: resurrected
« Reply #885 on: November 05, 2008, 06:26:14 PM »
Was that the original KKBB or the remake? I liked both, but for different reasons. The original is good, original and tragic, whereas the remake is fun, has Downey Jr. in it and the plot is worthy of Raymond Chandler. It sort of reminded me of "The Big Sleep".

I've just put in an order for "Chaplin" with Downey Jr. Never seen it before but it is supposed to be really good.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

AMonk

« Reply #886 on: November 05, 2008, 07:43:16 PM »
I've just put in an order for "Chaplin" with Downey Jr. Never seen it before but it is supposed to be really good.
He was pretty well dead on on his portrayal, IMHO. 
Moderation....in most things...

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #887 on: November 05, 2008, 08:58:09 PM »
Downey version of KKBB.  Sheer good fun. I didn't know this was a remake, will look for the original.

Spaghetti

• Goo Goo Muck
« Reply #888 on: November 06, 2008, 02:31:04 AM »
Spaghetti, I did pop over to Japan and visited the Studio Ghibli Museum.  I still believe that they are not AS mass market oriented, that their production is more sophisticated, that the art work is superb. I believe that the general excellence of them increased their markets.

Visiting the museum is not what I refer to. Actually living in Japan when a new SG production is released is on par with the American promotional blitzkrieg similar to a new Pixar film. Again, don't take my word for it. You can wait a year or two and see it for yourself when another Ghibli production comes out.  bfbfbfbfbf

Ghibli's Grave of the Fireflys is one example of the differences I am talking about.  I haven't seen the latest one - but will be looking out for it.  If they have moved to a more 'Disneyesque' mode, I will very disappointed.

A quarter of Studio Ghibli's productions are not blatant, mass marketed, and kiddie pandering. Wit hthe exception of about five of them, they are not the work of Miyazaki. Tombstone of the Fireflies is one of them. Miyazaki's partners put that baby together. His company but his involvement with the film was purely as a producer.

I enjoyed exploring this matter. Thanks. bjbjbjbjbj
"Most young people were getting jobs in big companies, becoming company men. I wanted to be an individual."
Haruki Murakami

Tern Unstoned

« Reply #889 on: November 06, 2008, 10:55:53 AM »
Fawlty Towers, the complete (and, unfortunately, ONLY) season (on DVD).  My umpteenth time of viewing the Inestimable John Cleese's monumental contribution to American film.  What's that?  It was TV?  Ah.  Just so.  Okay, I also just viewed Robert Altman's "Gosford Park," featuring the Inestimable Helen Mirren.  For the umpteenth time.  And, big treat, at IMDb Video, the original, 1966, Robert Wise film, "Sand Pebbles," a Steve McQueen classic.  This one can be punched up in streaming video with a few, very short commercial breaks that aren't all that intrusive.  For diehard McQueen fans --- if any exist at this site --- this was one of his best; maybe THE definitive role of the most authentic of Hollywood's "outsiders."

Spaghetti

• Goo Goo Muck
« Reply #890 on: November 08, 2008, 03:30:24 AM »
I've stocked the refrigerator, bolted the door and plan to dig into this month's rack raids:

Disciples of Shaolin
Young & Restless in China (documentary)
Unfair: The Movie
Ginger & Fred
Women of the World
and
Goodbye, Uncle Tom

"Most young people were getting jobs in big companies, becoming company men. I wanted to be an individual."
Haruki Murakami

Spaghetti

• Goo Goo Muck
« Reply #891 on: November 16, 2008, 11:45:13 AM »
 I spent the day watching Little Britain series two and an Australian film from the seventies called Backroads.
Haruki Murakami

« Reply #892 on: November 16, 2008, 11:52:28 AM »
My favourite (personally) post-Python Cleese moment has to be Mr Stimpson in Clockwise.

It also has one of my favourite lines of all time.

"It's not the despair.  I can handle the despair.  It's the hope."

Never has what it is to be English been encapsulated in a film better than that!
It is too early to say.

Foscolo

• Boom boom!
    • ELTpublishing
« Reply #893 on: November 16, 2008, 12:49:05 PM »
Downey version of KKBB.  Sheer good fun. I didn't know this was a remake, will look for the original.

There are actually two films called "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" predating the Downey version.

From 2000, there's a cracking oddball British crime thriller with a philosophical twist starring Stellan Skarsgard and Paul Bettany, which is one of my favorite films: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0228488/

Then also from 2000 there's a low-budget US thriller of the same title about the goings-on between a male science fiction writer and his female neighbour. I haven't seen it, but it doesn't look very tempting: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kiss-Bang-Michael-Chomiak/dp/B00006BT70/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1226788786&sr=1-5

The 2005 film (which I haven't seen either, sorry to be useless) doesn't appear from the plot description to have much to do with either. I'm wondering which of the two it's supposed to be a remake of, or maybe it's just a re-use of the title?

Anybody know?

Incidentally, as you may well know, "Mr Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" was a name orginally given to James Bond for the Japanese market.
Free stuff for teaching English with jokes: ESLjokes.net.

Spaghetti

• Goo Goo Muck
« Reply #894 on: November 17, 2008, 03:38:00 AM »
The 2005 film (which I haven't seen either, sorry to be useless) doesn't appear from the plot description to have much to do with either. I'm wondering which of the two it's supposed to be a remake of, or maybe it's just a re-use of the title?

Anybody know?

It's not a remake. It's a one off, return to form for Shane Black. Black was the big 80s action screenwriter in Hollywood, with Lethal Weapon being one of his babies. For a visual, he's the skinny white guy with specs in Arny's troop in the film Predator. Through the mid-to-late nineties he cooled his jets and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang was his much hyped but lesser seen comeback, and it plays with the tropes of Hollywood action films. It's like a swan song for Val Kilmer and a rebirth for Robert Downey Jr. not a bad film, and it takes the piss out of American buddy action flicks, but it wasn't as stellar as Black's earlier work.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is also the name of a nudie cutie from the sixties and a full fledged fuck film from the mid seventies. Both are western parodies.

Haruki Murakami

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #895 on: November 17, 2008, 01:36:09 PM »

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is also the name of a nudie cutie from the sixties and a full fledged fuck film from the mid seventies. Both are western parodies.

Maybe I'll just stick with the one I have!!

« Reply #896 on: November 21, 2008, 05:36:12 PM »
Can't wait to see "Australia". What a lot of hooplah is going on about it. The scenery should be magnificent. I see that "Opra" had the stars on her show as well and the audience appeared to have really enjoyed their film preview.I will be really interested in hearing your views on the film. Contrary to popular belief,many city folk in Oz have not experienced the outback or the lifestyle portrayed in the film. bfbfbfbfbf

Spaghetti

• Goo Goo Muck
« Reply #897 on: November 21, 2008, 10:59:02 PM »
The thing that prevents me from seeing the film is: Baz Lurman. If it's done Moulin Rouge or Romeo & Juliet style then I won't bother. I've been on a roar with some older Australian films like Backroads, Chaos Channel, Last of the Knucklemen, Road Games, The Plumber and Galipoli, so If Australia - the movie - is done trademark Lurman style then I'll probably spend the time and energy watching older Australian films instead.
Haruki Murakami

George

• My view of China
« Reply #898 on: November 22, 2008, 01:07:13 AM »
You both forgot "Mad Max". According to one movie critic, "Australia" is a bit theatrical for the first 20 minutes or so, then it gets better. I never liked "A town called Alice" right from reading the book. It comes across like a saccharine love story. Nothing goes wrong, and it is always sweetness and light.
I hated the early Australian movies, that had a USAnian lead, just to give them a "name". Robert Mitchum in...ummm...aaaaah...The Sundowners, with Deborah Leigh, is an example. Then again, things work both ways.. Australian directors and cinematographers have improved many Studio movies in USAnia.
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

Spaghetti

• Goo Goo Muck
« Reply #899 on: November 22, 2008, 06:07:07 AM »
Mad Max is a given, George. I'd add the following, though viewed years ago: The Road Warrior, Death Warmed Up, Romper Stomper, Metalskin, Puberty Blues, Thirst, Longest Weekend, Harlequin, Dead Kids*, Strange Invaders, Death Camp Thatcher, The Quest, The Last Wave, Where The Green Ants Dream**, Temptation of a Monk***, Starstruck, Sweetie, and Body Melt.

*Shot in New Zealand, but financed with Aussie cash, Aussie actors in the mix, Aussie director and writer, and producers too.

**German financed and directed

***Aussie financing and shot in Australia, though the entire film is in Mandarin and stars actors from China and Hong Kong and Taiwan
Haruki Murakami