Movie/film thread: resurrected

• 2327 replies
Re: Movie/film thread: resurrected
« Reply #870 on: October 24, 2008, 11:26:13 AM »
Since tomorrow is Training Day at my PLacement School, and then I'm starting the Reading Week, I've taken this evening 'off' and watched Network, an amazing film from 1976
It is too early to say.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #871 on: October 26, 2008, 04:59:14 AM »
I don't think western studios do really good anime consistently, but Ratatouille was good.

And I watched 'Catch me if you can' with DiCaprio and Hanks in it - not bad as well, even though I am not a fan of DiCaprio.  Good development of the relationship between them.  Is there a term similar to Stockholm Syndrome for the relationship between crim and catcher??

« Reply #872 on: October 26, 2008, 01:14:21 PM »
I don't think western studios do really good anime consistently, but Ratatouille was good.

On the contrary, stuff like The Incredibles, Antz, Toy Story, Monsters Inc are amongst the most inventive and clever mainstream films of recent years IMO.

And I watched 'Catch me if you can' with DiCaprio and Hanks in it - not bad as well, even though I am not a fan of DiCaprio.  Good development of the relationship between them.  Is there a term similar to Stockholm Syndrome for the relationship between crim and catcher??

I liked this too.  Well, to be honest, I think DiCaprio is ace.  Sure, he was gash in Titanic, but he's been excellent in most other things.  It's Hanks I can't stand generally, but this was good fun.
It is too early to say.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #873 on: October 26, 2008, 02:32:51 PM »

On the contrary, stuff like The Incredibles, Antz, Toy Story, Monsters Inc are amongst the most inventive and clever mainstream films of recent years IMO.

That's a worry!!   ahahahahah ahahahahah

In general I like Japanese anime better - especially the Studio Ghibli stuff. I think maybe because they are not as mass market oriented. For me their plot/book choices are more sophisticated and the presentation is more subtle, and the animations are superb.  Very easy to stop the DVD and just enjoy the art work as well.

I showed my students The Incredibles and Antz and they enjoyed them, but I didn't have the same feeling of relationship development, complexity or subtlety in them.

« Reply #874 on: October 26, 2008, 03:01:29 PM »
I meant as far as mainstream family-entertainment Hollywood-type stuff goes.  Sure rather watch the Incredibles than generic action thriller part 35115
It is too early to say.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #875 on: October 26, 2008, 03:34:47 PM »
Very true - or yet another boy meets girl, boat sinks, boy dies 'tear jerker'.

Spaghetti

• Goo Goo Muck
« Reply #876 on: November 04, 2008, 05:04:13 PM »

In general I like Japanese anime better - especially the Studio Ghibli stuff. I think maybe because they are not as mass market oriented. For me their plot/book choices are more sophisticated and the presentation is more subtle, and the animations are superb.  Very easy to stop the DVD and just enjoy the art work as well.

Lotus, I have to strongly disagree with you on this and suggest you get in touch with Japanese pop culture better. Your take on Miyazaki is wholly off base within the context of the audience he's making his films for. Hayao Miyazaki's Studio Ghibli is as sugar coated and superficial and mass market oriented within Japan as Pixar in America. His creations are merchandised and licensed and omnipresent in Japan. Every time a new Studio Ghibli film is released you receive an identicla media blitz to that of Disney and Pixar films, almost to a "T." His most recent piece of superficial fluff, Ponyo On the Cliff By the Sea had the same mass marketing overindulgence and omnipresence in mainstream Japanese media and fast food joints, etcetera as the stuff you're conveniently dismissing. You are placing a western prism of perception and exoticizing something that is neither exotic nor nearly as arty within Japan, as you are painting it out to be.

Studio Ghibli are mass marketed. Even in America, where Disney distributes their films exclusively. You can find nearly all of their films in Wal-Marts in America. The English dubbed versions of their films attract A-List stars. That's about as mass marketed as you can get. You don't have to take my word for it, though. The next time the studio cranks out another film, head on over to Japan and take a look for yourself. bfbfbfbfbf
"Most young people were getting jobs in big companies, becoming company men. I wanted to be an individual."
Haruki Murakami

AMonk

« Reply #877 on: November 04, 2008, 11:42:56 PM »
Just got to watch (almost) the entire first Season of "Raising the Bar"....the newest Steven Bochco series about the US justice system.  Not too shabby. 

Also am working my way through the entire set of "Rumpole of The Bailey" offerings.  Still as excellent as I had remembered.
Moderation....in most things...

George

• My view of China
« Reply #878 on: November 05, 2008, 12:14:55 AM »
the entire set of "Rumpole of The Bailey" offerings.
Now, that's what I want! I wonder it it's available in China?
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

AMonk

« Reply #879 on: November 05, 2008, 12:20:18 AM »
the entire set of "Rumpole of The Bailey" offerings.
Now, that's what I want! I wonder it it's available in China?

Dunno.  Got mine from Amazon (USA).  I also purchased a single, "lost" episode DVD of the original/first show.  Good luck with your hunt, George agagagagag
Moderation....in most things...

« Reply #880 on: November 05, 2008, 12:55:43 AM »
Finally watched Iron Man and Mama Mia.

« Reply #882 on: November 05, 2008, 02:29:51 AM »
Dispelled my annoyance by watching "The Invisible Man" from 1933. One of the best movies ever made. Will be showing "Beetlejuice" to freshmen tomorrow as it is, IMHO, one of the funniest movies ever.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
« Reply #883 on: November 05, 2008, 04:08:06 AM »
 I LOVE the 1933 Invisible Man! "Even the moon is frightened of me...frightened to death!" Claude Rains was brilliant. Must have seen the movie at least thirty times.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #884 on: November 05, 2008, 07:21:55 AM »
Spaghetti, I did pop over to Japan and visited the Studio Ghibli Museum.  I still believe that they are not AS mass market oriented, that their production is more sophisticated, that the art work is superb. I believe that the general excellence of them increased their markets.

The Disney animations are clearly PRIMARILY aimed at a world wide market, which means that in general they are 'friendly' and deal with issues at a lower level.  Ghibli's Grave of the Fireflys is one example of the differences I am talking about.  I haven't seen the latest one - but will be looking out for it.  If they have moved to a more 'Disneyesque' mode, I will very disappointed.

Rumpole of the Bailey would be brilliant to get!!  Started watching 'Scary Movie' tonight, but decided it should have been called "Totally stupid Movie" and it will head for the rubbish bin.  Watched 'Leatherheads' instead, which was much better.  Last night we watched "Kiss kiss bang bang', which had us crying with laughter a couple of times.