Movie/film thread: resurrected

• 2327 replies
Re: Movie/film thread: resurrected
« Reply #690 on: April 27, 2008, 07:11:52 PM »
It's an absolute first-rate cast all round, although I don't know much about Aaron Eckhart.

Aaron Eckhart was in "Thanking you for Smoking" which is hilarious if you haven't seen it. He was very witty in it. But don't show it to Con right now as he is on the wagon.

Jeff Megall: Sony has a futuristic sci-fi movie they're looking to make.
Nick Naylor: Cigarettes in space?
Jeff Megall: It's the final frontier, Nick.
Nick Naylor: But wouldn't they blow up in an all oxygen environment?
Jeff Megall: Probably. But it's an easy fix. One line of dialogue. 'Thank God we invented the... you know, whatever device.'
"All young people need somebody bad to look up to and I hope I can be that for you tonight. "

John Waters

« Reply #691 on: May 10, 2008, 04:54:18 AM »
It is too early to say.

Foscolo

• Boom boom!
    • ELTpublishing
« Reply #692 on: May 10, 2008, 07:40:48 AM »
Dark Knight: If you ever get the chance, check out the original 1980's graphic novel (written by Frank Miller, later responsible for the - in my view - rather less pleasing Sin City). Along with Alan Moore's Watchmen (another top comic book, and crying out for a movie adaptation) it was a sudden raising of the game in comics - cheesy crap about flying superheros was out. Darker, grittier, much more grown-up tales were in.
Free stuff for teaching English with jokes: ESLjokes.net.

« Reply #693 on: May 10, 2008, 07:21:15 PM »
What Foscolo said.  And where the hell is a Sandman TV series? That comic title changed everything.  bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

« Reply #694 on: May 10, 2008, 07:26:25 PM »
Dark Knight: If you ever get the chance, check out the original 1980's graphic novel (written by Frank Miller, later responsible for the - in my view - rather less pleasing Sin City). Along with Alan Moore's Watchmen (another top comic book, and crying out for a movie adaptation) it was a sudden raising of the game in comics - cheesy crap about flying superheros was out. Darker, grittier, much more grown-up tales were in.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0409459/
It is too early to say.

« Reply #695 on: May 13, 2008, 01:21:03 AM »
If you like these cartoons that have either been animated or dramatized for TV or movies, check out Spawn. It was on HBO about 10, maybe 12 years ago. I have a youtube link to the first episode, there are others.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xyp4SdVUjuI&feature=related The clown gets the really juicy lines, I bet whoever got to do the voiceover enjoyed the part.
"I so enjoy the shameful details"
"Now this is very tasty. I mean, you look at him, you look at you, you're a matched set"
"It's what you are baby, so get used to it"

« Reply #696 on: May 14, 2008, 12:28:32 AM »
Do I sound like a spammer?  Will this question get answered...?
DVD-19's... They've hit the market here about three months ago...
Anyone else here seeing them/buying them?
I'm amazed at the quality...

Not that my DVD collection was sparse to begin with but I've recently bought about thirty of them with eight movies a pop...

Now I have every Jackie Chan, Jet Li, Stephen Chow and Donnie Yen movie...

Speaking of Donnie Yen... Has anyone seen 'Flashpoint'..?

« Reply #697 on: May 14, 2008, 01:20:39 AM »
If you like these cartoons that have either been animated or dramatized for TV or movies, check out Spawn. It was on HBO about 10, maybe 12 years ago. I have a youtube link to the first episode, there are others.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xyp4SdVUjuI&feature=related The clown gets the really juicy lines, I bet whoever got to do the voiceover enjoyed the part.
"I so enjoy the shameful details"
"Now this is very tasty. I mean, you look at him, you look at you, you're a matched set"
"It's what you are baby, so get used to it"

I haven't seen the programme, but the film was absolutely awful.

Seriously, it was one of the worst films I have ever sen.  It's definitely in my top 5 worst, along with Shakespeare in Love and Lost in Space, View to a Kill and Explorers (superlative first half leads to absolutely awful second half that could (and probably was) have been written by an infant school kid)
It is too early to say.

« Reply #698 on: May 14, 2008, 04:56:01 PM »
Nice to see good old Gary Oldman in DK.  One of my favorite actors (going back a bit...)Have hopes for DK but Batman Begins was sort of forgettable (but slick.)

Was just working 6 weeks in Canuckland and couldn't get to films. Now I'm off but boy is it slim pickings. Aside from arthouse (Counterfeiters, Band Played On and some others.) its all crappy comedy...

Went to Sarah Marshall---had it's funny moments but otherwise I wouldn't knock the Chinese lady for going to sleep...Almost walked out during the puppet show which we were supposed to think was so cute. Those Superbad/Knocked Up guys will be doing a movie  a month now I guesss...drive us all nuts.

Tomorrow I'll go see (wouldn't admit this to anyone in person--haha,only online) What Happens In Vegas. I'm a sucker for anything set in Vegas---or with Cameron Diaz. I'll even see if 21 is still here.

« Reply #699 on: May 14, 2008, 05:06:01 PM »
Have hopes for DK but Batman Begins was sort of forgettable (but slick.)

I disagree almost entirely.  It was a first-rate film, an excellent reboot of the Batman series, and near totally washed away the foul taste of the dreadful Schumacher films.  The other thing I like about it is that in approach it's more like a 'film' than a 'movie' if you get my drift.

Nolan is one of the best mainstream directors working today IMVHO.
It is too early to say.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #700 on: June 19, 2008, 09:49:37 PM »
I watched the Madonna version of Evita last night and was really disappointed.  I had expected a much better film/movie that was presented.  I felt that the characterisation was shallow, the history not well done and the music not all that wonderful  (Although the tune keeps fitting in and out of my head all day!)

Yet another lesson in NOT listening to the 'blockbuster' hype of publicity machines.

The same happens with books as well.  Making to the best seller list is almost a guarantee for me that the book isn't all that good.  ananananan

« Reply #701 on: June 19, 2008, 10:03:38 PM »
Evita was OK. I must admit I nearly fell asleep couple of times and Banderos is the only reason I kept watching. afafafafaf

« Reply #702 on: June 19, 2008, 11:35:45 PM »
You can't go by the word bestseller. Just look at the tripe written by Dan Brown. I think Stephen Fry said it best when he described "The Da Vinci Code" as 'absolute arse gravy of the worst kind'.

Just watched the first season of "A Bit of Fry and Laurie". Those guys are hilarious. Two of their sketches makes me laugh louder than any hack, mediocre American sit-com or comedy, and I use the word in its loosest form possible here, ever did. Not that all American comedies are bad, there are gems, far and few between though.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

George

• My view of China
« Reply #703 on: June 19, 2008, 11:43:32 PM »
Just look at the tripe written by Dan Brown.
Who is laughing....all the way to the bank!! lotta money in garbage!
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

« Reply #704 on: June 20, 2008, 12:08:38 AM »
George, I did not say he did not make money. Barbara Cartland was rolling in the stuff and she wrote worse tripe than Brown. Yes, he certainly cleaned up, his coffers are full to the brim. But just because a lot of people buy a book, thus it becomes a bestseller, does not mean the book is good. It just means that lots of people like crap. Which also explains the popularity of day-time soaps, most pop musicians and 99% of the trash produced in Hollywood. Dan Brown wrote a horrible book, which sold extremely well and got two movie deals, good for him. I bear him no ill will, nor am I jealous. Life is too short envy others. But no matter how much money he makes, you'll never convince me that his fiction is not pulp of the very lowest level.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.