Movie/film thread: resurrected

• 2327 replies
Re: Movie/film thread: resurrected
« Reply #1920 on: February 08, 2015, 07:06:01 PM »
^ re The Little Death: all the sub-stories had their laughs, some of them happy laughs some of them dark, but my favourite pair of characters were the deaf guy and the translator.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

« Reply #1921 on: February 08, 2015, 07:45:57 PM »
"THE THEORY OF EVERYTHING"  As most of you will know, this is about the legendary theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking.  While some people believe that this movie plays it a little too safe and sanitised, Eddie Redmayne's astonishingly expressive portrayal of Hawking excuses most flaws according to the film reviews here.  For my part, I was really and truly impressed by Eddie's acting and also the fact that it was not until Hawking's body was devastated by the ravages of Motor Neurone disease, that he began decrypting the mysteries of the universe.  I wonder what ETR and Calach will think of this movie. bfbfbfbfbf

Depends. I haven't watched it. Is it or is it not A Beautiful Mind but with Stephen Hawking? Big name scientist starts as a nobody, has the love and support of some forgiving squeeze, goes nuts/deathly ill/twisted but makes big science discoveries with rousing backing track anyway ?

I can be convinced to watch such things. I did watch The Imitation Game and thought it good (if overwrought). (Legitimately overwrought of course, because the treatment of Turing was horrendous, but it seemed to me undeveloped in the movie, it just happens kind of as backstory.)

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #1922 on: February 09, 2015, 04:26:35 AM »
It's a little flat but it's a lot better than that Beautiful Mind turd. That Eddie Whatshisname really was good.

« Reply #1923 on: February 09, 2015, 12:07:20 PM »
Stil, I think that Eddie Redmayne's acting was what really kept me interested. As a matter of interest, I saw this actor in the shorts for a new movie coming out, but I can't remember its name. I'll take notice next time I'm at the theatre. bfbfbfbfbf

« Reply #1924 on: February 12, 2015, 12:22:28 PM »
Saw the shorts of JUPITER ASCENDING and Eddie Redmayne is in it. I think you guys might like this one. Eddie is also in KINGSMAN: THE SECRET SERVICE It sounds interesting. I'll get to see one of them. bfbfbfbfbf

« Reply #1925 on: February 12, 2015, 10:43:45 PM »
Trash (2014)

Adventure-drama. Three Brazilian trash picker kids who live at the dump find a man-purse with money and some cards. They don't know the purse is important until creepy police come looking and offering a reward. Rather than hand it over, they decide to find out for themselves what its worth. Then time starts running out.

bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf

« Reply #1926 on: February 13, 2015, 08:14:27 PM »
Nightcrawler (2014)

An earnest young man becomes a "nightcrawler", a stringer with a camera and a police scanner capturing on-the-scene accident and crime video for a morning news channel.

*spoilers*

With that ending, the movie is the false story of a successful sociopath. With the ending it should have had, the movie would have been a richly dark satire.

« Reply #1927 on: February 14, 2015, 02:59:39 PM »
Northern Soul (2014)

In Lancashire, 1974, John meets Matt and is introduced to a Northern Soul music scene based almost entirely around finding import 45s and dancing to them.The first hour's an amphetamine rush. The last ten mins or so is something of a soft ending with not everything resolved, but the movie is charming and exciting anyway, itself like a night out dancing where you come home in the daylight. 

Fantastic music.

:banana: :candyraver: :dancemj: bfbfbfbfbf

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #1928 on: February 15, 2015, 06:31:49 AM »
Thanks that looks great! Just watched the trailer  agagagagag
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

« Reply #1929 on: February 17, 2015, 03:51:54 PM »
I tried to watch  Mortdecai and stopped half-way through. I read and re-read Kyril Bonfiglioli's books. They are brilliant. Great characters, good plot. Somehow the makers of this movie decided that such things  have nothing to do in a Hollywood adaptation. It was utter, utter crap. It was, by far, the most cringe-worthy unpleasant amateurish infantile and idiotic adaptation of a book I have seen in ages. You know that there is something off about a flick  when about 20 minutes in you start wondering if you should begin doing the Spring Festival cleaning and tidying now or after the afternoon APUSH class is over. Read the books, Saloonies, do not waste  your time on this piece of smelly garbage.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

« Reply #1930 on: February 18, 2015, 12:21:25 PM »
ETR, Have you seen "The Theory Of Everything"?

« Reply #1931 on: February 18, 2015, 03:17:41 PM »
No...I know it is supposed to be good and probably will Watch it but honestly, I have zero interest in the life of Dr. Hawkings. I know he is brilliant and such but the subject matter is, to me, uninteresting.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

« Reply #1932 on: February 19, 2015, 12:58:04 PM »
ETR, I was interested in your opinion about Eddie's acting. I expect actors to be able to act, but this guy really impressed me. bfbfbfbfbf

« Reply #1933 on: February 21, 2015, 04:54:04 PM »
The Theory of Everything (2014)

So, yeah, I watched it. Why did she love him, again? The company of very clever men who refuse assistance with their infirmities isn't that great, really. And that theory of everything, what was it, again? Beyond that, yes, a tour de force for Eddie Redmayne. He captured the expressive physicality. And actually, an impressive, expressive performance by whatshername too, Felicity Jones. Cosmological physicists are dicks, though. They have either the burning aggressive intelligence or the chilly aggressive intelligence. I suppose that was in there too.

All in all, not bad. Kinda romantic.

A-Train

« Reply #1934 on: February 21, 2015, 08:04:47 PM »
Well, if the major releases have you bored and you enjoy a little of the bizarre, you might have a look at "Under The Skin" starring Scarlett Johansson. It's science fiction, but on a small scale, (no "War Of The Worlds" epic).  Not much set up or dialogue so you have to figure things out or read into them as you can.  Been compared to "The Man Who Fell To Earth", but I enjoyed it much more. Not really fair since the Bowie movie is going on 40 years old, but I kinda understand why the comparison is made.
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck